Follow Me

By Angel of Tears

Rosa awoke with a pair of strong arms around her waist. The man had held her close for most of the night. Whenever they were together, they spent a lot of their time just absorbing each other. Rosa turned to face him. His long blonde hair had covered his eyes in his fitful bouts of sleep. His eye lids were closed around his crystal blue eyes and his pale white face was almost perfect like a porcelain doll. The man was Kain, her husband’s best friend.

‘You don't know how you met me,
you don't know why you can't turn around
and say good-bye.
All you know is when I'm with you,
I make you free, and swim through your
veins like a fish in the sea,
I'm singin'’

Kain’s eyes flickered open slowly. His soft crystal eyes met the dark ruby one’s of Rosa’s face. He pulled an arm from her waist and pushed his long golden hair away from his face.

"How could Cecil ever be away from you for a second?" He murmured softly to her. Rosa’s pain filled eyes turned away from his eyes. "Every second I have spent away from you have been pure hell." He told her softly. The young queen’s face shied away from the man with her. Kain always said things like that to her. He paid more attention to her than Cecil ever did. He was gone now though. It was only her and Kain now. The two childhood friends, reunited in the royal bedchamber.

"Kain, do you ever think about Cecil?" Rosa mumbled softly. Kain smiled at her.

"You always think about him don’t you?" Kain told the woman. Rosa nodded. "You’re confused aren’t you? You want to know why you are disloyal to him, don’t you?" Rosa slowly pushed away from him. <You always mention my insecurities don’t you?> She thought coyly to herself. The queen slowly got out of her bed and walked to the balcony’s door’s. Her long wispy night gown flowed behind her.

‘Follow me, everything is all right.
I’ll be the one to tuck you in at night,
and if you want to leave,
I can guarantee you won't find nobody else like me.’

The dragoon followed the wizard. His arm slowly slid their way around her waist. He laid his head on her shoulder. He heard soft whimpers coming from Rosa.

"Rosa, shh. . . it’ll be all right." He told to her. Rosa turned to face him. She fell forward slightly and began to cry on his chest. "Rosa, what is the matter?" He asked the woman. She lifted her face and wiped her eyes.

"You are right, I am confused! I don’t know what’s right or what I want anymore!" She told him hardly. "I never see Cecil because he’s always gone and then again, I never see you either!" She paused. "Yet, I don’t want to hurt either of you. I’m in love with two men and these men are friends, almost like brothers."

"I didn’t ever mean to put you in this kind of position. If it’s too awkward for you then, I’ll leave." Rosa kissed him lightly on the lips.

"I don’t want you to go. Cecil’s not here anyways and he won’t be back for a while." Rosa told the older man. Kain took her hand and noticed the wedding ring on her hand.

"Do you have to wear that all the time?" He asked her softly. She nodded back.

"Even thought I’m acting the way I am, I still love Cecil."

‘I'm not worried 'bout the ring you wear,
cause as long as no one knows,
then nobody could care.
You're feelin' guilty, and I'm well aware,
but you don't look ashamed,
and baby, I'm not scared.’

Kain had led Rosa to a chair and she was sitting in his lap now. Rosa had her arms wrapped around Kain’s neck and flipped her legs across the arm of the chair.

"Aren’t you worried about what everyone will think if they catch you with me?" The dragoon asked the wizard.

"Not really. It won’t hurt me too much. Besides, who would figure it out anyways?" She said softly to him. The woman sighed softly. He held her closer and inhaled deeply her strawberry smell. He wanted to be close to her forever, but Cecil was a barrier in his way and he was a strong barrier too. Cecil was almost like his own brother at one time but they had slowly drifted apart when the fell in love with the same woman. He felt Rosa sigh deeply.

"Rosa, something else is bothering you? You’re very preoccupied today." He told the healer.

"What about my children? Alena and Myhrra are innocent little girls. What would they think if they knew about us?" She said with a slow increase in confidence.

"They are not even a year old. They never have to know about us. I understand how you feel though Rosa. It’s dangerous for us to meet here all time like this. Cecil could come home and surprise you at any moment. But I’d fight him for your love. Rosa, I need you." Kain admitted softly. Rosa smiled slightly. Cecil was usually too busy to have little talks with her now. Sure when they first met, he was very sweet and said things like this to her, but because of his power and rank he needed to think about the kingdom. Even though Kain had nothing he could give her that would be better than what Cecil could, maybe his unconditional love was what she needed.

‘Won't give you money, I can't give you the sky.
You're better off if you don't ask why.
I'm not the reason that you go astray and
it will be all right if you don't ask me to stay.’

Kain stirred slightly. "Rosa, I have to go. It’s almost morning."

"I know." Rosa said with a slight sigh. "I wish you could stay all day. I just love being in your company. Cecil will be back today." Kain nodded.

"That’s why I have to go." Rosa stood up and Kain followed suit. She followed him over to the window. This window was always his escape route. It was at the back of the castle so nobody would see him.

Kain put his hand on the window sill and looked back at Rosa. He kissed her softly on the lips. Rosa put her arms around him. He pushed her away.

"It’s time for me to go. Good bye Angel." He said softly to her. Kain threw the rope out of the window and began his decent. Rosa turned from the window, not wishing to watch him go.

‘Follow me, everything is all right.
I’ll be the one to tuck you in at night,
and if you want to leave,
I can guarantee you won't find nobody else like me.’

Rosa smiled to herself. She loved two men and both men loved her. "How long can I keep this a secret? How long can I continue to hurt Cecil behind his back?" Her confusion would last for a much longer time than she ever could imagine. She was in love two times over, with two men who were almost like brothers.


Angel of Tears' Fanfiction