Chrono Continuum Chapter 13

The Kingdom

By Cain

1020 AD

The door to the carriage burst open, nearly flying off its hinges, as the caped man was thrown outward. He landed on his back, and raised his head to look forward, dazed. The king jumped out of the carriage, and, while in midair, drew his sword, the metallic ring bringing Dalton back to his senses. He rolled over and pushed himself up to his feet, facing away from Crono. He quickly turned around, knowing that this man thought to be his king seemed very dangerous at the moment. He raised his hands in a pleading, peaceful gesture, but Crono dived to the side, avoiding the spell he was sure the slime was throwing at him.

No spell came, just Dalton, still confused, holding out his hands. Crono relaxed slightly. Dalton was a windbag, and probably wanted to gloat before he fought or ran. Dalton, after making sure that the king wouldn't attack again, lowered his hands, and breathed a sigh of relief. He remained at the same distance, not wanting to provoke Crono. He began in a soothing voice (tough work for someone with such a rough voice), "Now, calm down, my lord. It's me, Dalton. I'm not your enemy, sire." He took a step forward, but Crono, still wary, raised his sword and Dalton stepped back. Crono finally spoke, "What do you want, scumbag?"

Dalton raised both eyebrows in surprise. He stuttered for a moment, and managed, "Scumbag? Sire, what's going on? It's me, your advisor. Dalton, remember? We must get back to your fortress, quickly, before those of the Kingdom find us." Dalton once again took a step towards the enraged king. Crono didn't respond, his mind full of questions. Hadn't Marle told me he died? And how did he survive this long? He decided to ask both.

"Didn't you die back in 12,000 BC? And even if you didn't, how have you survived this long?" Dalton raised an eyebrow in confusion, and then both eyes opened wide as he understood (some of it, anyway).

"You're the one from Zeal!!! But, how did you get here, and where is the real King Crono?" Crono's eyebrows drew together. He stood up straight, sheathing his sword as he did so and replied, "I am the real King Crono. The real question is still, however, the question of what the hell you're doing here!" Dalton stood there, in deep thought, until his eyes lit up, and he snapped his fingers.

"I've got it. You didn't die back then, and became an Everlasting. For some odd reason, I never saw you in the Kingdom. You got amnesia somehow, probably, so you didn't remember anything about the last 13,000 years, even unconsciously concocting a story about your present life. Then I betrayed the Kingdom and offered to advise you, thinking that you were actually your descendant, and we turned the tide of the war. You didn't remember me because of the amnesia. And now the Kingdom somehow kidnaps you from your own throne room and tortures you or tries to kill you or some such thing. This ends your amnesia. Then you escape and I rescue you, but then you remember what I was like back then and at the same time forget I am helping you." And he grinned, satisfied that he had figured out the mystery. Crono merely stood there, trying to figure out what in the world Dalton was talking about. He had learned to listen carefully to what people said, as it was often helpful in acting as if he remembered what they were referring to. He scanned Dalton's long exposition (which gave a rather convenient amount of information) and figured out a basic outline of his life, and how it related to Dalton.

Crono waved to the carriage and Dalton followed as he jumped in, Dalton shutting the door behind him. As they sat down opposite each other and the carriage started moving, Dalton leaned forward and asked, "Now that I've figured out what happened, sire, have you forgotten anything vital?" Crono looked at him, and sighed.

"Look, Dalton, you've got it wrong. I am the boy you met back at Zeal, but I'm not an 'Everlasting' as you put it. I actually travel through time, or I did..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

Dalton sat back, amazed. Partially at how much of a jerk he really had been, and partially because of the story his king had just fed him. Crono was also slightly amazed. Partially at the fact that he had told the story so well, (he wasn't much of a talker) and partially at how much Dalton had changed. He had actually sat through the entire story, interrupting only when necessary. He hadn't even belched once. And there was no smell of alcohol on his breath.

Now it was Crono's turn to lean forward. "Now, tell me about the Kingdom."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

602 AD

"None knoweth how the war wert started, and yet it continues. The war hath been going on for many a century," Glenn started. Lucca could sense this would be a long story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1020 AD

"It all began when the Almighty One came. I have never seen him, King Crono, nor have I had wish to do so. He came shortly after the fall of Zeal. Two years later, I believe. Anyway, he came, and charmed many into serving under him. He had great magic, greater than any of the former Zealians had, and he seemed ageless, undying, Everlasting. He said that any who served him could have this as well as the restoration of magic. And that was why they joined him. There were a few who resisted him, and many Earthbound who resisted as well. Eventually, they became a permanent force, building in power until the Kingdom, ruled by the Almighty One, noticed them. But the Kingdom had never tried to raise an army, the Almighty One emphasizing peace so that there would never be any resistance from inside. But he never calculated that resistance would come from without. Or maybe he did..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

602 AD

"... but we, the Resistance, hath never given up. Our greatest leader, Guardia, brought on a time when we had the Kingdom constantly afraid. And then the Almighty One, the unseen, everlasting ruler of the Kingdom, brought weapons from outside... well, outside what most humans know of. They had no army, preferring to lounge about, using up time as if 'twere nothing. For, to them, 'twas. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1020 AD

"The Almighty One found how to traverse space, and after what you've told me, time through the use of portals. He uses both to his advantage. To fight the Resistance, he opened a portal to an alternate dimension. You don't know what that is, but it's not important. He came back with an army of creatures that were perfectly happy to go and kill anything he told them to kill. And he came back with us..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

602 AD

"A small group of men and women that we are convinced died long ago, and were hellbound for their evils. With the exception of one who didn't really ever die, but was there nonetheless. They immediately started to slaughter our men, who knew naught of how to fight such creatures. But Guardia would not die so easily. He called forth the best smiths and architects in the Resistance..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1020 AD

"And made cannons. Gunpowder was far beyond us at the time, as we used mainly magic. The demons were driven back, though most weren't killed. There are more demons than could ever be killed. The Resistance came at us with their new weapons. Then the Almighty One sent us out to battle..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

602 AD

"...the Hellbound. Their mighty magic drove us back. And so the war hath come and gone, and come and gone, and cometh again and leaveth again, neither side losing, and neither side winning. And I would think it no loss to wager that 'twill not end soon. And so and so, that is what is known of the Kingdom." Lucca thought this over a moment, looking down at the ground. She looked up, "Glenn, how long do you think it would take to get to the Denadoro Mountains?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1020 AD

"And I managed to escape some four years back. I came to you, and you accepted me, although your wife really distrusted me. Eventually, I proved my worth, however, and will continue to do so if I can. I will use the gift of eternal youth the Almighty One gave me as a curse to him. I will fight the Kingdom for centuries to come if need be, for it is evil, moreso than I ever was. That time in what is known to some as Hell really straightened me out. But, I've heard that he's more than Everlasting, he's immortal. He's been killed before, and then reappeared to torture his assassin to death. I think I've told you just about everything." The carriage lurched to a halt. Crono looked out the window to see a gigantic fortress. They had apparently taken routes that would avoid detection. He turned to Dalton, "Hey, Dalton, do I have children in this timeline?" Dalton's gaze lowered slightly.

"Yes."

"What are their names?"

"You never told me. I guess you never found it necessary after they were kidnapped." Crono's entire aspect hardened.

"They were kidnapped. Did I ever get them back?"

"Yes. They're buried in the royal graveyard." Crono's eyebrows lowered, and electricity played along the spikes of his hair.

"Would I approve of revenge in this timeline?"

"Yes."

Crono leaned back against the seat, "I wonder how many times you can kill an immortal before he dies permanently."

.

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?

- Abraham Lincoln

.

Go To Chapter 14

Return To CT Fanfic