Chrono Continuum Chapter 21

Fate and Destiny

By Cain

602 AD

"Here we are," Glenn stated. They were standing on the steep hill, looking out upon the enemy encampment that had been built at the base of Mt. Denadoro. He often wondered why they'd done so. Maybe it was for the same reason Lucca had taken him here. He sighed. He had absolutely no idea what Lucca intended to do here, but he trusted her. And her plan. Although he had no reason to. He sighed again. Either he was too trusting, or he was too trusting of women. He was tempted to sigh again, but Lucca was already looking at him strangely. He shook his head. Until he'd met Lucca, he'd had no idea how repetetive he was. He shook his head. Until he'd met Lucca, he'd had no idea how repe... never mind. He turned to the woman.

She had a large hole in her gown that exposed her shoulder. Several days ago, she'd also torn off the majority of the skirt, revealing everything from her ankles to the tops of her knees. Glenn had trouble believing that it was perfectly acceptable to show so much in her time. Still, he thought, taking a sideways glance at her, it's not that bad. Remembering his former train of thought, he turned to her.

"Lucca, what manner of mission lieth in store for us here?" Lucca turned to him. His split lip was healing nicely, and his black eye was already gone. She silently thanked her devices. They'd greatly facilitated the healing process. Although Glenn had been a little nervous about them. That thought reminded her of her aging device. After her arrival in this time, she'd noticed that there were a few minor alterations to it, but hadn't examined it in full, because she'd need a special scanner left at home. She hadn't noticed any side effects on the first use, and figured that it was fine. But for all she knew, the Lucca of this timeline might have installed unnoticable side effects. If she could get back to her time, she could get to her journal. She brought her mind back to the case at hand.

"We're going to get the Masamune." Glenn raised an eyebrow and objected, "But, 'tis in mine possession already. What need hath we to get such an item?" Lucca took a deep breath, and Glenn braced himself for a long explanation. Lucca noted this and settled for the condensed version.

"That's Frog's Masamune. We need to get one for you. After all, he'll need his back." Glenn shrugged, agreeing with her logic, and they soon began to move on, down the hill. Glenn sighed. Lucca smiled in anticipation. Her plan would work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

Lucca watched intently at the scanner. She could hear Melchior snoring loudly behind her. She shook her head. He slept a lot recently. Too bad for him. Her coming disguise was quite pretty, and she had no doubt that Melchior would appreciate the illusion for all its... intricacies. She found herself wondering which choice Rakin and Magus had made, but figured that they had probably made a good choice. In her sequence of events, they had gone back to 11,998 BC to solve the mysteries there. She hoped that they hadn't made the same mistake. She didn't want Magus to die the same way he had then. And she hoped that Rakin wouldn't... she wiped a tear away, mourning for lost friends and allies. Gaspar pretended not to notice.

A sudden beeping noise made them jump and awoke Melchior. Gaspar turned to the instruments and yelled out, "Epoch, what's up?" Static was all that came through the speakers installed on the control panel. He slammed a button, and the static stopped. Lucca hurriedly rewired the scanner to give reserve power to the main systems. If they had to run, she wanted to be able to run fast. Gaspar examined the instruments, and turned back to his friends.

"Damn! He's near us. He'll find us soon. And the next wave is supposed to happen in," he paused to check the records, "a few days. We don't have that much time!" Lucca jumped up into the front seat, squeezing in next to Gaspar. He yelled in her ear, "What are you doing you crazy girl?" The engines primed, and there was a slight jolt as the Epoch began to rise. Lucca began to rapidly push buttons, and Gaspar could see that she was arming the weaponry. She had to shout out against the loud engine to be heard.

"I'm not gonna die without taking out a few bad guys." And the Epoch shot off, towards Mt. Denadoro.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

Glenn stood on the outskirts of the encampment with Lucca, who was messing with one of her devices. It was high noon, and he was worried about being seen, but they were hidden behind a low hill. Lucca stood up, letting out an "Aha!" She gave a small metal disk to Glenn. He could see that she had one too. Following her lead, he placed it against his shoulder, and it stayed there. She pressed a small protuberance in the center of it, and there was a flash that made Glenn flinch. When he reopened his eyes, there was a beautiful woman standing before him, with blue hair, and a silken gown that revealed yet concealed. Was this Lucca? She looked like an Everlasting. The woman smiled.

"Well Glenn, aren't you going to don your disguise?" It wasn't Lucca's voice, but it was obviously her. He nodded dumbly, and pressed the protuberance on his disk. He noticed no change, except in that of Lucca's expression. She looked pleased that her device had worked. Glenn looked down on himself to see ratty brown rags for a shirt, and a cord to hold up his tattered pants. He looked back to Lucca.

"Thou hast disguised me as on of the slaves!" Lucca nodded, and decided to explain.

"Well, judging by the blue hair and type of clothing you told me about, this culture is based on Zeal. And I've been there, so I know most of the customs." Glenn crossed his arms.

"Like the custom to go to bed with any man thou seeist?" Lucca blinked.

"That's a new one." She smiled encouragingly. "Well, we'll just pretend I enjoy... doing that with you. After all, I made your disguise handsome enough." Glenn was about to reply when when a loud sound caused him to look up above the hill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

The brown-haired man ran back to the encampment. He had been patrolling under an invisibility spell, and so had seen the Resistors disguise themselves. He would tell everyone, and when they got in, they would be ambushed. His thoughts were interrupted by the fact that he was dead a moment later, his body reduced to dust.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

Lucca pushed the red switch, and twin blasts shot out of the cannons. They blew twin holes in the earth, and Lucca saw a man in the blast, before he was incinerated. He had apparently been invisible. So that was how the camp had known they were coming. She shrugged. So much for that problem. Gaspar pointed to a tower, a weapon inventory, and Lucca aimed the cannons at it and fired. A magical shield came up, but was shattered. The tower blew apart at the top, and the explosion sank floor by floor. The Epoch flew through the smoke and fire, undamamged. Melchior shouted out, "Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

Lucca tackled Glenn to the ground at the first blast. When she looked up, she was more than surprised. It was scratched, dented, missing pieces, and altogether in bad shape, but she was certain of what it was. It was the Epoch. Probably the Epoch belonging to her future self. Glenn looked up, astonished, as the Epoch blasted the three story mini-tower into nothing.

"What is't and why doth it help us?" Lucca helped him stand, and began to wave her arms at the flying contraption. She turned her head to Glenn, and shouted above the explosions, "The Epoch."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

As she turned the Epoch, she saw two forms on a low hill. Her glasses zoomed in, and she could see that it was Lucca and Glenn in disguise. Melchior sat forward to get a good look, and saw them as well. He gasped.

"That woman is casting a spell!" And he reached out and pushed the red switch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transition

Spekkio was surprised to hear the somewhat familiar voice of Mune.

Spekkio, help! Glenn is in trouble.

You mean the frog?

No, Glenn. He's with Lucca. We're with him for now, and can't find Frog. Glenn can't use our full power. Masa's struggling just to keep this link open. We need you. Can you get to us?

I can try. But I'll need something to latch on to.

Oh. Well... I know! Latch on to Frog for the time, and onto me for the place. Hurry up!

Sure thing, windy. Spekkio sould have sighed, if he had a mouth. He concentrated a bit, and teleported out of Rakin's pocket. The kid might need him later, but he was needed elsewhere for now. He just hoped that he didn't disrupt the gate enough to send the kid to another time. He waited a moment, and left the vortex, materializing in 600 AD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

600 AD

Glenn closed his eyes and yelled out loud as the beams fired. His yell continued for a long while, until it died down, and he opened his eyes. Everything was a dull bluish color, and perfectly still. He looked up to see that the beams were frozen in midair, feet from where he stood. He looked to his side, and saw Lucca in the same color, still in her disguise. He wondered if, upon touching her, he would feel the illusion or her real body. He reached out to test, but there was a flash, and ball was hovering in midair, a foot from his face. His arm dropped, and he spoke, "What's going on?"

Hey, Glenn, Mune and Masa, here. We did this. Pretty good, huh. It was hard. We-

Quiet Mune. Listen, that ball is what remains of Spekkio. Did Lucca tell you about him? If not, oh well. Now, grab the ball. Glenn did so. It offered no resistance. Good. Now then... uh, Mune?

Ipso Facto Meeny Moe, Magico! Glenn felt an odd feeling surge through his body, but nothing else. I knew that, Mune. I just forgot a little. Now then, you've got magic, Glenn. Water magic, to be specific. It's really cool. But since you don't know how to use it, and you're kind of low on time, we'll use it for you. Alright, get set. The normal world came back in a flash. Glenn's arms raised, and the world turned blue again. But this time, things didn't stop. They were encased in a bubble hemisphere. He could see Lucca's eyes were closed. He did the same as his little blue world shook. He could feel the strain of the bubble as it tried to absorb the blast, and he reinforced it. Very soon, the ordeal was over, and Lucca opened her eyes and looked around. The half-bubble dissolved, running in rivulets of water down its own outside, until it was but a ring of water around them. Lucca looked around in astonishment. Then she turned and hugged Glenn hard. She looked up.

"I don't know how you did it, but thanks." He smiled, and was about to reply, but the world changed colors again. It was mostly black, now, however. The only thing visible was the Epoch, now halted in midair, and a man in a white robe hovering before it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

Lucca, Gaspar, and Melchior all flew forward for a moment, hitting their heads against various objects. When they got their bearings, they could see that the outside world was under an effect similar to that of a Chrono Trigger. They looked through the windshield. There was a man outside, but the black tint prevented details. The man raised an arm, and the window instantly shattered, sending shards of glass everywhere, cutting the passengers. They ignored this, however, as they saw who he was.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

Lucca could feel the power in that man, and was so stunned by it, that she didn't even draw her gun. Glenn sensed and reacted the same. Neither of them noticed as their disguise devices shorted out and fell apart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

He smiled, "You shouldn't have run. You could have had the world, or most of it. You could have served me, and lived forever. But you were stupid. Too bad. You all were such dear friends to me. Or, should I say, him. Do you have any last requests? It's not too late to serve me." Melchior spit, with good aim, and hit him in the cheek. Lucca raised her arm and showed him her middle finger. Gaspar replied, "Go to Hell, bastard." His smile widened. He used Melchior's spit to smooth out his hair, now in a blonde ponytail, like his mother's.

"I've already been there. I think you should go." He raised his arm again, and his smile disappeared. Energy gathered at his palm. The last thing they all saw were his green eyes, exactly like the eyes of the father he had killed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same Time

Lucca and Glenn shouted out, and there was a great flash. When it cleared, the world was back, and the man, and the Epoch, were gone. Lucca blinked.

"Is that our fate," she whispered.

.

Behold, my pretties!
Destiny, in it's most brutal form.

-Queen Zeal

.

Go To Chapter 22

Return To CT Fanfic