Chrono Trigger: The Time Strikers Part X

The Power of Time

By Christopher Anthony Blair

Ozzie slumped to the ground, blood oozing out. The last mystic general was dead. The mystics had lost again, this time, for good. Max felt sorry for the beast in a way. Ozzie was only doing what he thought was best for his kind, much like Azala. Max saluted the mystic, and turned to leave. “You think you've won. But it's far from over. “Max stopped at the comment. “That voice. It can't be.” Max turned to face the voice. “Malatar?!!” The man shook his head. “Funny. I thought no one this world knew about me. And the name, is Kefka. Kefka Cornelis Malatar. From Altara. You, um, have quite a reputation there, young knight. The only being to search for Illumina and survive. Much like your knight, Glenn, and the Masamune. By the way, I give you my condolences on the tragic lose. Such a shame really, to lose a great knight like that. But that's not the point. The point is, you disrupted my plans, much like another group such as yours did long ago. If it weren't for you, I would have...” Max glared at Kefka. “You would have what? Taken over Altara?! Destroyed all resistance?! Can't allow that buddy boy. You're against my friends, and that makes you my sworn enemy.” Kefka frowned. “I didn't come here to fight. Just to tell you that the war is far from over. This was just the beginning. Be warned young warrior.” Kefka vanished into the shadows, leaving Max by himself.

Janus opened a door and saw a small creature. “Doreen.” The creature smiled at the prince. “Hello Janus. How nice to see you again.” Janus smiled. “I never thought I'd see you again.” Doreen glanced to the back of the room. “There's something back there that might interest you.” Janus walked past the creature and looked. “There's nothing here but an old statue. Of me.” He looked at the scythe in the statue's hand. “What the?” He dropped his weapon and pulled the scythe out of the statue's hands. “I don't believe it.” He looked at the weapon with admiration. “After all these years. You mean to tell me it's been here all along?” Doreen nodded with a smile. “You just never bothered to look at it.” Janus held the scythe up in the light. “Nightmare. At long last, I've found you.” He smiled. “Thank you Doreen. You have no idea how much this means to me.” Doreen's eyes flashed. “I think I do.” She disappeared as Janus left the room.

Max walked out in to the hall, and found the others. “What took you so long?” He asked. Nadia turned towards him. “Max!! Don't ever do that!! You scared us all.” “Not all of us.” Janus walked out of the doorway and smiled. “I saw your handy work Max. You're starting to lose it. If you don't calm down, Lavoros could very well still win.” Max shrugged. “Don't worry. Ozzie's dead. Glenn has been avenged.” Janus sighed to himself. ' Not quite yet. The real being behind his death is still loose.'

They went outside to HAWK. “So, want do we do? Head for Lavoros?” Lucca asked. Max shook his head. “No. Not yet. I think it's time I met this Gasper you spoke of at the meeting.” Janus nodded. More to the point, he should see Spekkio. He's going to need to learn his element if he's going to keep going.” They got in the HAWK and took off. Max set the computer for the End of Time at shot off.

The HAWK burst into the End of Time. Max looked at the small structure floating in the void. He dock the ship and the team got out. “An old man was sleeping by a lamppost. “Gasper.” The old man woke up. “What!! Who?!! Oh, Janus, it's just you. Don't do that to me please. Ah, I see a new face in the group. And who is this young man?” Max walked up to him. “Max Triggara.” Gasper smiled. “The destined one. Darian was right about you. Come to see Spekkio I take it.” Janus nodded. “We need to know what is Max's element. “Gasper nodded. “Yes, yes. Well, you know where he is.” Janus lead Max to a door and pushed it open. A strange creature stood in the center of the room. “Ah, the prince is back. And who's the kid.” Janus frowned. “This is Max Triggara. The last of Crono's descendants, and mine as well. He's come to learn his element.” Spekkio jumped with joy. “Great!! I've needed something new. Let's see.” Spekkio zoomed around Max, looking at him from every angle. “Strange. I never sensed this before.” Spekkio was solemn. “ Very strange indeed. I've never seen anything like it.” Janus frowned. “What is it?” Spekkio looked at Janus. “You sure this kid is real? 'Cause he's got a power like nothing I've ever seen before in my life.”

Janus looked at the master of war with a confused look. “What do you mean? I thought you had seen everything in magic.” Spekkio nodded. “So did I. But this, I've never seen anything that comes close. If I'm right, this kid's got the power of every element, which is slightly possible, or, he's got the power of Time itself, which definitely impossible according to my knowledge.” Janus looked at the war master. “Time? But that's not an element.” Spekkio shook his head. “On the contrary. Time is the most important element. It controls everything. Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Lightning and Shadow. This kid, he's strong. I'd say he's the user of Time. Who's his father?” Janus was confused by the question. “David Triggara. Why?” Spekkio looked at Max closely. “Was he that immortal who had a child? I heard something like that from Darien. Only one to have one. If he is, that would explain it. An immortal can hold a lot of power.” Max looked at Spekkio. “That would explain this. You're immortal, aren't you?” Max nodded. “Ok, that explains it. Time is your guardian. But there's something else there. Some thing like...” “Magicite?” Spekkio looked at Max, shocked. “You've been to Altara, haven't you. I knew it. I knew there was something familiar. Old Bahamut. He taught you how to use it.” Max grinned. “You know the Espers?” Spekkio nodded.” Of course I know the Espers. They're some the best magic users in the universe. Rantarok, the master of Ultima. You met him yet?” Max shook his head. “Oh boy. You're going to need to if you're going up against that Lavoros thing. Let me tell you something. You can't decide the world's fate for it. The Earth decides if it lives or dies. It chooses if you save it, or if Lavoros will kill it. Keep that in mind boy.”

Max and Janus walked out of Spekkio's garden. Nadia walked up to them. “So, what's Max's power?” Janus looked at her. “Time.” Lucca frowned. “There's no such thing as the element of Time.” Max smiled. “There is now. Spekkio just said so. Time controls everything. Therefore, it's an element. Come on, let's go.” They got in the HAWK and launched. the ship shot off into time, destination, unknown.

.

To be Continued.........

.

Go To Part 11

Return To CT Fanfic