The Beginning of the End Chapter 2

Warnings and Farewells

By Darkstar

The next few days were much of the same. Wake up, eat, go to classes, eat again, go to yet more classes, eat a third time and then go to bed, only to wake up and start the routine all over again. Sephiroth found the schedule boring, but the classes were most often interesting and Rydia's quiet companionship all the more welcome. There was something about her, something he couldn't quite describe that attracted him to her. The feeling seemed mutual as well. Rydia could glare down any of the other children, but when it came to him, her gaze would soften considerably.

Sephiroth was able to learn some things about her fairly quickly. Beneath her hood he found that she had dark brown hair that flowed down around her face in long waves. Her face was far more delicately featured and mature than all the other girls. She also had a temper that even though was very potent, was never really shown in any way other than a narrowing of her eyes, the flicker of red that passed through them and the way she could hiss out her words without being loud. She also seemed to adore her father to the utmost, as willing to share information that her father had given her with Sephiroth.

Sephiroth enjoyed school. He enjoyed being around the other children, even if it didn't seem to them to be that way. For the first time in his life he felt free of the constraints Professor Hojo had him under. He hadn't seen either Professor Gast, Hojo and most importantly the lab in almost two weeks.

When Sephiroth was told one lunch hour that he was to report to the doctor's office, he was almost happy to be able to share with Prof. Gast all that he had experienced.

First checking around the small office to make sure that Hojo was nowhere in the vicinity, Sephiroth jumped up onto the examination table. Professor Gast turned around from a small desk and studied Sephiroth very carefully.

"Well you seem rather happy today." Gast stated, smiling slightly.

Sephiroth only nodded. Professor Gast was a kind man that had thankfully made the time in the lab all the more easier.

"So how do you like school?" Gast questioned, taking out a small flashlight he shone it into Sephiroth's eyes.

"Its great." Sephiroth answered, following the flashlight with his eyes as indicated.

"Made allot of friends, I bet." Gast put the flashlight away and peered into Sephiroth's ears.

"Not really."

"Surely you've made at least one?" Gast continued to inquire, pulling out a tongue depressor.

"Well... there's a girl." Sephiroth answered carefully.

"Well out with it. What's the young lady's name?" Gast waited for an answer before placing the depressor against Sephiroth's tongue.

“Rydia Majere." Sephiroth answered, leaving his mouth open for Gast.

"Miss Majere, huh." Gast pulled the depressor back out. "You sure have a way of picking them." Gast picked up his stethoscope and placing it against Sephiroth's chest indicated for him to breath in deeply.

"Take this as a warning though and in my expert opinion, you should keep your distance from Miss Majere. Her father is a very powerful man, one of the biggest financial supporters for Shinra. Ticking the little miss off could have unforeseen consequences." Gast continued, and finished with his stethoscope picked up a small hammer and lightly tapped Sephiroth's knee.

"But..." Sephiroth stuttered.

Gast was forced to jump back when he was nearly kicked. "Good reflexes." Gast muttered and then keeping his distance, repeated his action on the opposite knee. "And no buts. You stay away from her."

Sephiroth lowered his head; he wasn't going to stay away from her. She was the nearest thing that he had ever had to a friend.

"Well that's it." Gast said going back to the small desk to jot down some notes.

Sephiroth lifted his head in surprise, "That's it?"

"Yes." Gast answered almost sadly.

Sephiroth cocked his head slightly. "Is something wrong?" Gast was the nearest thing Sephiroth had ever had to a father.

"This is the last time I'll be seeing you." Gast turned from the desk to regard Sephiroth.

"Where are you going to go?" Sephiroth questioned sadly.

"I'm not sure yet, but Ifalna is close to having her baby. So we have to go now." Gast replied.

"Oh" was all that Sephiroth said in answer.

"I wish I could take you with us but you have school now, so you should be alright."

"Will you come back?" Sephiroth inquired and when Gast was about to shake his head, Sephiroth pressed further. "At least for graduation?"

Gast smiled tightly. "Sure. Wouldn't miss it for the world. You should get going though or you'll be late for your next class."

Glancing up at the clock above the door, Sephiroth jumped off the table and quickly opened the door. Pausing, Sephiroth looked back over his shoulder at Professor Gast. "Take care, and say hi to Ifalna for me."

Gast nodded and Sephiroth exited, running down the hallway.

Gast came and stood in the doorway of the office, sadly watching as the boy disappeared around a corner.


“Don’t be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” – Richard Bach


Chapter 3

Darkstar's Fanfiction