Chrono Trigger: The Lost Force Chapter 6

To Bait a Wizard

By Dragoon Taryn

The End of Time

"So, how should we do this exactly?" Taryn asked Crono.

Crono scratched his head. "Well, we should go in groups of two, hide around where Magus will be, and when Zovak shows up, POW! Bye, bye Zovak!"

"Very nice explanation Crono," Lucca remarked.

"At least you understood what he said," Taryn shot back.

Lucca quickly became angry. "Why, oh why, do you have to insult everything I say?" Lucca demanded.

"Cut it out!" Marle told the both of them.

Robo spoke up. "If we are traveling in groups of two, who will be traveling together? To be more precise, who will be who's partner?"

"Well, Marle can come with me, Lucca can go with Taryn, and Robo, you can be one your own since Glenn hasn't fully recovered yet," Crono suggested.

"Wait a minute here. You expect me to go with that walking computer? No way Jose," Taryn decided firmly.

"Walking computer?! Well, I don't want to go with that bratty, big mouthed, bad dressed boy," Lucca fired at her.

"Bad dressed? Look at you! Who wears a headset anyway?" Taryn muttered.

Marle sighed. "Lucca, I'll go with you, Crono can go with Taryn."

"Why do I have to go with Taryn?" Crono wondered.

"Oh for crying out loud, if nobody wants to go with me, I'll go alone! There, is everybody happy?" Taryn demanded.

"You can't go alone, you're the youngest one here!" Lucca snidely reminded her.

"And the bravest, smartest, not to mention toughest," Taryn shot back.

Magus, who had been standing off to the side, stepped in. "How about you guys settle this by chance?"

"You mean, like a coin toss? I've got a coin," Taryn told him, pulling a quarter out of her pocket and then handed Magus the coin.

Magus examined the coin, then said, "Okay, I'll toss the coin. If it lands 'the moose' side up, Taryn goes with Marle. If it lands 'the woman' side up, Taryn goes with Crono. Any questions?"

They all shook their heads, and Magus threw the coin in the air. It bounced a couple times, then landed on the ground. Everyone looked down at the coin. It seemed that Taryn would be going with...

* * * * *

????

"An ambush plan?" Dalton asked in disbelief, "That's what those brats are planning?"

"I could hardly believe it myself. Ambushes never work on me," Zovak boasted.

"Sure they don't. But anyway, how did you find this out?" Dalton wondered.

Zovak waved the question away. "It doesn't matter how I found out, what matters is that we have to turn this ambush around."

"I see. What's the plan brother?" Dalton asked with an evil smile.

"It's quite simple. I'll go try and kidnap Magus, then when those kids jump out to save him, you can attack them," Zovak explained.

"Wait an minute, did you say kidnap? I thought you were going steal Magus' powers," Dalton told him, confused.

"Fool! It takes more than a few seconds to steal someone's powers. We need to kidnap him first."

"Are you sure he's the right guy? What if you're wrong?" Dalton pressed.

"I highly doubt I'm wrong, but if he doesn't have the power I'm looking for, I cannot steal the powers he does have. That is the only flaw of my staff," Zovak admitted, "But enough about that. Now, on to the plan..."

* * * * *

601 A.D.

"I honestly don't see why we can't just bust in on Zovak and company, then blow them all to hell," Taryn complained.

Crono glanced at Taryn. Why did he have to get stuck with her as his ambush partner? They had all decided to partner up as they waited for Zovak to show up. Except for Magus, of course. He was standing on a cliff, trying to act like he was there for the hell of it. The others were in hiding, waiting for Zovak to appear.

"Does anyone else realize how pointless this is?" Magus yelled into the wind.

That's how Taryn feels, Crono thought wryly. When the coin had landed 'the woman' side up, Crono partnered up with Taryn, even though he wanted to go with Marle. Now they were all in hiding, waiting for Zovak to appear.

Taryn shivered. "The black wind howls, I can feel it," she murmured.

Crono turned to her. "What did you say?"

Taryn shook her head. "Nothing important. Don't worry about it."

Crono shrugged and turned his attention back to Magus. Suddenly, Zovak materialized out of nowhere and advanced towards Magus. "Show time," Crono whispered to Taryn.

The three groups jumped out from their hiding spots. "Hold it right there Zovak!" Taryn yelled.

Zovak quickly put Magus in a headlock and held his staff up to Magus' throat. "I don't think so," he corrected with an evil grin.

Dalton appeared beside his brother. "Hello again. How about some fun?" he asked the group. Then a portal opened and out stepped two Golems. "Remember these guys? Well, they want to play with you!" Dalton laughed.

Taryn charged towards the Golems, her scythe raised high in the air. "Feel my wrath!" she yelled.

Just as she was about to strike one of them, Dalton shot a Lightning bolt at her, making her fly across the ground. "Now, now, it's not nice to try and hurt your playmates," Dalton scolded.

Crono stepped forward. "You'd better think again Dalton! Come on guys!" The rest of the group charged towards the Golems.

The battle was ferocious. The Golems weren't that strong, but everything that was thrown at them, they mimicked and threw back. Then Dalton joined the fight, engaging in a magic battle with Lucca and Marle. By the time the Golems were finally defeated, most of the group collapsed, exhausted.

"Hmm, not too bad. But you will never defeat us! Come Dalton!" Zovak called to his brother, then waved his hand and a huge portal appeared. "So long, but we shall meet again!"

"I don't think so pal! You're not getting away that easily!" Taryn shouted as she quickly casted Lightning and shot it at Zovak.

Zovak quickly raised his staff, which caught the lightning in the crystal. "Nice try little girl, but it'll take more than that!" Then Dalton and Zovak dragged Magus into the portal and it closed.

"MAGUS!" Taryn screamed, then fainted and fell to the ground.

.

Go To Chapter 7

Return To CT Fanfic