The Cry of the Planet Chapter 26

The Jenova Project Excerpts

By Edyn Cross

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Day 1 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division This is my first entry into this new log as head scientist for the Jenova Project and I am pleased to announce phase 2 as the female host specimen has finally given birth to the primary Specimen named Sephiroth by it's mother. A few abnormalities are present, but nothing serious or life threatening to the child. One of the most intriguing abnormalities is that the child has been out for seven hours now and not once have I heard it cry. He sits there looking at his surrounding almost as if he was reading a book or studying for a test. He has had absolutely no contact with his mother and he will remain that as any outside emotional contact may have serious effects on my research. Another fascinating abnormality of the Specimen is his physical appearance altogether. His eyes are a teal/aqua in color and when the basement is completely dark, they emit a soft glow almost like a night-light. His hair is very long for a boy and doesn't seem to have any color but grey and white, but I will check for color changes or darkening as he matures. Feeding time is in a few minutes and I will update this log as needed.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Month 6 Day 29 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division I very pleased with the progress of the Specimen, Sephiroth. His body seems to be accepting the Jenova cells without rejection unlike his host mother and has already begun to show very advanced stages of physical strength and mental capabilities. When given a large-scale simple Playskool plastic puzzle intended for children years 2+, Sephiroth finished it in amazing time and even seemed to look for something more of a challenge. As soon as my work is finished with the Turk, I'll be able to transport Sephiroth and myself back to Midgar so that I may be able to study him at Shinra HQ, the Ancient will remain here in the reactor for now. President Shinra is eager to see the Specimen so I may have to leave my work with the Turk unfinished for now, it's beginning to bore me anyway. My research on that project is in another report.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Month 9 day 3 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division I just arrived in Midgar two days ago with Sephiroth and had the meeting with Shinra last night. He was very excited about the Project and prided himself on having the only corporation that will raise a child and was so excited even mentioned having a child himself. Sephiroth has adapted well to the move and continues to do nothing but mostly observe his surroundings as if he were figuring something out. I will continue with more tests and update this log with any significant changes in the Specimen's behavior or physique.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Month 11 Day 2 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division President Shinra has finally given me some assistance with the infant: 10 full time science technicians to help with the feeding and care of the Specimen. Today, Sephiroth finally uttered his first word, which was not to my surprise, "Jenova." I have spoken that word frequently to the technicians around Sephiroth, which is why I believe the child needs some other form of enlightenment. The technicians will begin to school him in various ways, books, music, general education and most importantly, battle tactics - requested specifically by President Shinra, of course.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 1 Month 4 Day 28 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division The Specimen is up walking and talking now, although mostly not to me. He seems withdrawn and mistrustful to me personally, but communicates with the technicians just fine. Some observations include the following: Sephiroth will eat most food we give him, but he seems to prefer sweets above all. I just hope this is something that will go away with age and maturity. He also prefers classical music above any other style and likes to listen to it just before bedtime. He also prefers exercise above watching television and seems to not want to watch television whatsoever.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 2 Month 6 day 11 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division Sephiroth approached me today asking who his mother is. I told him that his mother's name is Jenova and died giving birth to him, but he never asked about his father. When the time comes, I don't know what I will tell him. He seems to be progressing emotionally like any normal young man and the only thing he seems to be unhappy about is not having other children around his age to interact with. He will soon learn to deal with it. His physical and mental abilities are still very advanced and he is still adapting with the Jenova cells just fine. His eyes are still the odd teal color and his hair hasn't darkened one bit. I believe it will stay that color permanently. For some reason, Sephiroth refuses to have his hair cut and currently sits just below his chin.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 4 month 3 Day 19 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division President Shinra has decided against my advice that Sephiroth is to ultimately join SOLDIER when he is of age. The boy already has extensive knowledge on how to use Materia and his combat skills even at this age are extraordinary. Sephiroth was almost excited to hear of President Shinra's new baby thinking he would finally gain a playmate, but of course I told him that was impossible and he reacted with violence I hadn't seen before. The Specimen still seems to harbor some animosity towards me personally, but as I have stated before, he will have to deal with it.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 7 Month 2 Day 23 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division My studies of Sephiroth have been sidetracked a bit with the recent acquisition of the new Ancient and her daughter. Sephiroth only got a glimpse of them as they were being transported through the laboratory, but what I saw in his eyes I didn't like. Was it sympathy? I don't know, but it certainly didn't like it.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 11 Month 2 Day 23 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division Sephiroth has befriended the young Cetra girl who is now about 4 years of age and I have caught him time and time again trying to sneak off to see her and her mother. I have fired three lab technicians over incidents such as this and told them REPEATEDLY that Sephiroth is to have no interaction with the other Cetra. One thing that I am beginning to realize is that Jenova may not be a Cetra after all. Even though she is from the same time period and has extraordinary magical abilities, she carries none of the same characteristics as the Cetra woman and her half-human daughter. More on this research will be in the log for the Ancients.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 14 Month 10 Day 7 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division For the past two weeks Sephiroth has been placed into solitary isolation for utterly ruining my research of the other two Ancients. Continuous acts of rebellion such as this will not go unpunished and the Specimen WILL learn. I don't know what he was thinking when he helped the Ancient and her daughter to escape from the lab killing one guard in the process. Another one of the guards (who no longer works for Shinra I might add) did shoot the mother in the commotion, but they made it out of the building and into Midgar without a trace. President Shinra is as upset as I am and has even assigned the Turks to locating the two Cetra and bringing them back here unharmed. Sephiroth has been severely punished for his actions and I am beginning to think that enlisting him in SOLDIER may be the right thing to do to calm his emotions and set him straight. Sephiroth knows he is special, but doesn't know how or why.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 18 Month 10 Day 17 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division Sephiroth has recently displayed some concerns in going off to war with SOLDIER in Wutai. This will be his first mission as General of the SOLDIER army, but doesn't seem nervous at all. His concerns are politically based and cannot understand why the killing of thousands of foreign residents will secure peace in Midgar and in Shinra. At least that is what he was told. Almost all of the other SOLIDER members look up to Sephiroth and respect him even though he is many years younger than most. They have seen him fight. His weapon of choice is the legendary Masamune sword, which is as tall as a man and only Sephiroth himself seems to be skilled enough to use it correctly. His magical abilities are far above the other SOLDIER's with or without Materia.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 20 Month 1 Day 4 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division Sephiroth had recently been ordered by President Shinra himself to rescue a Turk spy within the Wutai capital. The Turk's position was compromised when a member of her team was captured and the information was given under pressure. Of course, Sephiroth and his team infiltrated the capital and successfully rescued the Turk from captivity, but from what I hear lately, Sephiroth acts different than usual around the Turk. I hear battle transmissions of SOLDIER's speaking to each other joking about Sephiroth and the female Turk. Hopefully Sephiroth will know his place and not go where he knows he isn't allowed.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 21 Month 3 Day 23 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division He thinks I don't know, but I have been monitoring his every move. Ever since day one I have tried to video record and document everything possible with this Specimen and it has finally paid off. Last night I watched as Sephiroth took that Turk woman into his bed where she spent the night. I know they had been spending a lot of time together and I thought that him having a friendship other than work related wouldn't be harmful to the Project but I may be wrong. I will have to watch them very closely.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 22 Month 5 Day 16 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division The Turk's time with Sephiroth will come to an end very shortly. She is now beginning to compromise my Experiment and my Specimen. Two days I hear her speaking to him about how being a full time SOLDIER maybe isn't the best thing and has him reconsidering the way he is living. And tonight I even hear her giving the idea to him that escaping from the laboratory and from SOLDIER may be a good thing. Starting a new life she says, what rubbish. I have plans for her though, so I'm not worried.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 22 Month 5 Day 20 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division My plan was a success and with even better results than I could have imagined. I had the President assign the Turk woman to investigating citizen vandalism at Mako Reactor #7 and not so coincidentally assigned Sephiroth to her for protection. To put it simply, she fell for the trap and was killed. But not instantly. Sephiroth watched as she fell into the pool of Mako and watched again as she was pulled out by reactor employees. When they brought her in for treatment, she was barely alive and her eyes glowed so bright, they lit up the room. A few hours later, she died of Mako poisoning with Sephiroth by her side the entire time. What I find fascinating about it was the amount of power had before dying and even present after death. The Mako somehow increased her physical strength as well as her magical knowledge, which is allowing me to start a new project with the SOLDIERs. If I could take lesser amounts of Mako and shower members of SOLDIER with it, we may be able to create super SOLDIERs without having to breed them using Jenova cells. Of course, President Shinra is all for this project because that just means he will get his army sooner than expected.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 23 Month 8 Day 9 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division Using Sephiroth as my first Mako test Specimen, he reacted to the Mako treatment with astonishing results. His already superior strength and magical abilities were more increased by the Mako showering and President Shinra has authorized full Mako treatments for all members of SOLDIER. More of previous in a separate report. The Specimen however has become a bit detached since the death of the female Turk. He is constantly very quiet and never seems to want to talk about himself. Whenever I ask his status he is always "fine," nothing more nothing less.

Jenova Project D/M/Y: xx/xx/xxxx Year 24 Month 1 Day 6 of Specimen: Sephiroth Research and Documentation: Professor Hojo - Head of Shinra Inc. Science Division Sephiroth has been doing quite well and is still acting as the top General in SOLDIER. He's been on numerous missions without incident, but with the Wutai war coming to an end, he has become increasingly bored with petty missions. Much like the one coming up. Shinra is dispatching him, another SOLDIER member and two guards to that miserable town of Nibelheim to take care of the increasing monster population there, which the residents claim is caused by a malfunction in the Mako Reactor. I'm sure it will be just another routine mission for Sephiroth.


Chapter 27

Final Fantasy 7 Fanfic