The Knight's Task and the Warrioress' Test Prologue

By Elizabeth Whittaker

Devur walked in front, noting the coldness in the air as well as the tension in his companion's eyes. The half-elven girl who called herself Jerin faced forward, her eyes having a grim and determined look to them. His other friend, Aguro, also had the same look on his face, although the battle that was about to take place wasn't what worried the Lorbenian commander. It was what was going to happen after the battle that worried him. How well Devur could cope with what the world and what fate's horrible task had sent him to do.

Devur knew what was going to happen. He just didn't want to accept it. Accept the fact that his best friend was going to be played against him. Worst off, the fact that she was one of the four Sinistrals shocked Devur deeply. But still, he wouldn't believe a word of it, even after that night in Soshette when the whole thing happened.

Now, the time has come for me to decide, Devur thought to himself sourly. Decide what the fate of the world will be. As Lufia put it so calmly, we are enemies. But I don't want to fight her. Not after what . . . what we've been through together. We've been through so much . . . Dammit, I don't want to be the one to do this! Why couldn't someone else have been Maxim's descendant! Why me?

Looking straight ahead, he walked a little faster. He remembered a few hours before, where they were all standing at Glasdar Tower. He remembered the horrifying discovery that Lufia had betrayed them and stolen Dual Blade from him. He didn't want to remember that, but he knew that the inevitable was coming. There wasn't much he could do about it now.

Devur continued walking, trying to get the thought out of his mind. But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get it out of his head. They passed the four statues of the Sinistrals, his sapphire eyes gazing at the one that was supposed to represent Lufia. Now, he looked at it closer, realizing that the work on it was perfect. It looked exactly like his best friend. But why Lufia? Devur thought pleadingly in his mind. Why her?! I don't want to fight her!

"Now's the time, Devur," Jerin told him calmly.

That made him look up. "I'm not ready for this! I don't want to fight Lufia! She's . . ."

"She's not Lufia anymore, Devur," Aguro told him calmly. "I know you don't want to. Neither would I. But she's not herself anymore. Besides . . . you have a duty to live up to as a descendant of Maxim. No one said you had to like everything that came with the job."

Devur sighed longily. None of them understood anything he was trying to tell them.

"Devur. . . we're only minutes away from them carrying out their task to destroy our world. You knew as well as Lufia that you would have to sacrifice some things for peace." She paused, seeing the pain in his eyes. "This is one of them. Lufia knew that she might not make it out alive. Yet she fought. And I think she fought for more than the people and the world."

Devur looked at Jerin, then at the stairs leading to the final battleground in which the fate of the world would be determined. "You're right, Jerin. But still . . ." He looked at the stairs again, a grim but determined look on his face. "Let's go. Let's see what's going to happen to our world." Then they went up to the final floor of the Shrine of Daos, waiting for whatever lied ahead.




Three years have passed since the Doom Island War. Luckily our Hero won the battle with the help of his friends, but what was the cost?

Lufia's life.

Or so Devur thought.

A year later, after the war was over, he went to a village called Arus and discovered his friend . . . but she was dead!

That wasn't the case here.

It turned out that Lufia had never died, but she had lost her memory. She remembered nothing about the whole thing or her childhood or the fact that she was Erim, the Mistress of Death. What was worse was that Lufia no longer remembered the redheaded descendant of Maxim. Devur, his heart broken, decided that Lufia no longer needed him and went home to Alekia to finish his training that he left behind.

Now, it is the year 648 AD and our hero, Devur Tranvent, has reached the end of his training. Our story begins where the Ceremony of Knighthood is going to take place in Alekia. Deuvr's mind is preoccupied with other things, however. What will happen to our young hero after his knighting? Will there be anymore misadventures? Will he be reunited with his teammates? Most of all, what will become of Devur his amnesiac friend, Lufia? All your questions will be answered if you continue reading . . .


Chapter 1

Elizabeth Whittaker's Fanfiction