The Demon War Chapter 12

Following the Summon

By Firstborn Dragon

It didn’t take long for the soldiers to board the ships. What took the longest was deciding where the demons would ride. It was finally decided that Rudy and the demons would take the original Gull Wing, with Lucid and a few of the soldiers. Jack, Emmilia, and Jane would ride on the newer one, nicknamed the Eagle wing.

Jack took the lead, heading southeast towards Rosseta. Rudy followed. Half an hour latter, they passed over the dual blade desert. And Rudy knew where the summon was coming from. He started to land the ship. Zed looked over, puzzled. "What’s up?"

Rudy didn’t look up as he headed towards the side. "I need to find out the truth. I put the Gull wing on autopilot. You should be fine. And don’t follow me. This is something I must do alone…"

Boomerang came up beside Zed. "And where are you going?"

Rudy looked down at the desert below him. "Down."

He jumped. Before anyone else could act, Lucid followed.

Zed shook his head. "What is that crazy wolf up to now?"

Boomerang shrugged. "How should I know? I’m only a companion."

Zed shook his head in disbelief. "I’ll never understand Guardians, or holmocrosses for that matter…"

The Gull Wing had begun to re-ascend after Rudy’s departure. With its current height, there was no way that the demons could follow, without learning how to pilot the ship. Slash looked towards the two very confused demons. "What just happened?"

They looked at each other, and shrugged. Boomerang shook his head. "I finally found a being more confusing than you."

It was no longer Zed and Boomerang who appeared confused. The Zed turned to Boomerang. "Something’s really bothering me."

Boomerang looked up, a little alarmed. "What?"

"Well… Remember what Zeikfried said? He said ‘The quartet knights will have their revenge…’ But there are only three of them. Who’s the fourth?"

Boomerang looked at Zed, very alarmed by the sudden revelation. "You’re right. You don’t think he’d…"

"Why not? He’s already done it once." Zed looked over at the Eagle wing. "I guess we should see if Jack heard that. Otherwise…"

Boomerang laughed a little. "Good luck."

Zed looked at him in shock. "What do you mean? There’s no way…"

"Well…" Boomerang looked over at the other ship. "You are the only one who could make it across. And…"

"And?"

"And besides myself, you’re the only demon Jack knows." He looked back at Zed, a small glimmer of amusement showing.

Zed wasn’t impressed. "You must think I’m suicidal! If I tell Jack about that…"

The two looked at each other for a few minute, then Zed glanced at the other ship. Then back to Boomerang. "You owe me one…"

Zed checked the sheath holding Striker, then turned to Boomerang. "Go make sure those fools keep the ship steady. This is going to be hard enough as it is…"

Boomerang nodded, then decided down towards the cockpit. Zed shook his head, and quietly spoke to himself. "I must be crazy…" He took one last glance at the Eagle wing, then leaped towards the other plane. Many of the soldiers aboard the Gull wing watched, convinced Zed was trying to kill himself.

They cheered as Zed landed on the Eagle wing. Many of the soldiers aboard it watched shocked as he landed. Jack walked forwards, shaking his head. "You must be crazy."

Zed laughed. "I agree, but for a different reason. Where’s Emilina?"

Jack glanced towards the back of the ship. "Around. Why?"

Zed took a deep breath. "Because…"

Jack was now puzzled. "Because?"

Zed took a deep breath. "Because I think Zeikfried’s trying to repeat the past. He may be trying to turn Cecilia into…"

Jack leaped up, his sword in hand. "No! He couldn’t be. He isn’t…"

Zed put his hands up, defensively. "I don’t know. But the way he’s been acting…Zeikfried that is, suggests that something is up. But it may be that he’s trying to upset us…"

"I’ll not let him! I’ll stop him, somehow. He’s caused enough harm as it is. I shan’t let another be harmed that way… Where’s Rudy?"

"He’s gone. He took off when we passed over the blade desert. Lucid went with him. But I don’t know why."

"I don’t care why. He agreed that we’d…"

Zed cut him off. "You’re forgetting that he seems to know something we don’t. Although I must admit, I never thought he’d try to kill himself. He leaped out of the Gull Wing while we were still in the air… I guess I should get back now."

Zed turned to leap back to the other ship. "Hold it!" Zed turned around, surprised, as Jack yelled at him. "I don’t need any soldiers suffering from shock. No more aerial acrobatics, ok?"

Zed was really shocked now. "You mean you’re not going to try and kill me?"

Jack shrugged. "What’s the point? You’re helping us, so all it would end up doing is weakening out position. Right?"

Zed couldn’t contain his surprise. "It seems that Boomerang and I aren’t the only ones changing…"

Jack turned his back to the warrior. "So it seems…"


Firstborn Dragon's Fanfiction