The Demon War Chapter 2

The Pain of Exile

By Firstborn Dragon

Rudy was wandering around Saint Centour aimlessly. He had no idea where, or what they others were up too. Nor did he care. Too much had happened too quickly. Rudy had yet to accept, or understand it all. "Why did this happen? What did I do wrong?"

Rudy shook his head, and looked up at the sky with a tear streaked face. "Was their anything I could have done? Why do I always get in trouble for helping those in need?"

He wasn’t paying attention to where he was going, until he nearly ran over the statue of Ione Paula. "The Guardian of the saints." Rudy laughed to himself. "I wonder what it takes to be a saint now? Or can only humans be saint? Or is it just because I’m this half human, half demon freak?"

Rudy turned to walk away, when a familiar voice called out behind him. "Dose exile hurt this much?" Ione Paula stood their, watching him. "Can you blame your friend for doing what she must to save your life? It wasn’t any easier on her, than it’s been on you."

Rudy shook his head. "It’s not that. It just seems that no mater what I do, someone always blames me. Ever since I’ve been a child, I’ve been an outcast. First because of my strength, then my ARM, and now, my heritage. Will I ever be accepted as what I am? Who I am?"

Ione Paula shook his head. "I cannot answer that. Even the Guardians cannot see the future. But Cecilia was left with a difficult task. One section of the city called for your death, and another for an award for your bravery. Had she not acted as she did, a war would have surly broken out. Their was no other solution that would have satisfied both sides somewhat."

Rudy shook his head, understanding. "I know that. It’s just that… Well, it seems no matter how hard I try, no one really seems to like me. Perhaps that why I understand Zed, Boomerang and Lucid so well. They’ve lived through the same as I. At least somewhat…"

Ione Paula shook his head. "You really don’t understand, do you? Come. Their is something I must show you…"

Ione Paula took Rudy into the realm of the Guardians once again. But this time, it wasn’t to save a world, or a life. It was to heal a soul…

* * * * *

Jack looked at the two dirt covered demons, and the wolf standing in the inn. And shook his head. "I can’t say I believe this. I’m not even going to ask what was going on, because something tells me, I don’t want to know."

Zed and Boomerang both pointed at Lucid and yelled. "She started it!" Lucid wasn’t going to take any of that, and leaped out the window.

It was hard for the other three to keep from laughing. Even though some had a very good reason to hate demons, Zed and Boomerang were turning out to be different. Jane shook her head. "Maybe you walking dirt piles should get cleaned up. There are some people here who want to meet you. I guess they’ll have to meet Rudy latter. Somehow, I think he needs some time alone."

The two demons looked at each other puzzled, then shrugged. Boomerang shook his head. "I’ll never understand humans."

Zed laughed. "I don’t think any demon will."

The three walked out of the inn, and vanished to the back of the town. When they passed by the Guardian statue, Zed felt something. "Ione Paula was here…recently. I wonder why?"

Boomerang shrugged. "We can worry about that latter. I think Jack’s not ready to kill us for once, and I kinda want to keep it that way."

Zed nodded. "You’re right. Follow me."

The two arrived at the bathhouse, and entered. Zed put his pack down on one of the seats. "Good thing I carry an extra set of clothing. I’m gonna need it."

Boomerang nodded. It was then, that Zed noticed something strange. It was something about Boomerang that he’d never noticed before…"That mark… It’s just like, but you can’t… I mean…how can you…"

Boomerang looked up, and for the first time, he was very certain of something. "It is you. For all these years, I though you’d died. But then, we both changed during our stay on that world…"

Zed nodded. "So it seems. Perhaps this matter should wait. But, I wish to thank you for giving me this chance. And perhaps, even my life."

Boomerang looked beyond Zed, at the wall. Yet, somehow, it seemed like he was looking a thousand miles away.

And for a short moment, he was. He was reliving the past, and the promise. A promise made, centuries ago…


Chapter 3

Firstborn Dragon's Fanfiction