The Return Chapter 15

Decisions

By Firstborn Dragon

Rudy, Jack and Zed headed to the airship. When they arrived, no one was in sight. Even the Elw had decided to take their chances and remain with the others in the castle. The three climbed onto the airship, and headed off. But they had no idea of where their destination lay.

Jack was the first to ask the obvious question, "What’s our best bet? It’s not like we have a lot of time to just fly around, hoping to find them."

Zed thought for a moment. "Even as we seek them, they seek us. Correct?"

Jack look at him. "I don’t know. You’re the expert on these things. You know more about them, then we do."

Zed laughed at that. "I told you all I knew of them. They fear the weapons, so it is only logical that they seek them out. The only question is where would they start looking?"

Rudy turned to join the conversation. "Well, they saw us in two different places. But, they are also seeking the Elw, right?"

Zed nodded. "Right." Then Zed looked around, as if noticing something for the first time. "Boomerang’s gone…Strange."

Jack looked at Zed, puzzled by the comment. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

But Zed paid no attention to him. "It’s almost as if…"

Rudy looked puzzled now too. "As if what?"

Zed looked at them. "Where was the last place you fought him?"

Jack shrugged. "The Ancient Arena…. Why?"

Zed answered, but it was an answer that Jack didn’t like. "Call it a feeling, but I think we should head there."

Jack didn’t like that idea. "Why the hell should we go there? I mean there’s no way that the Forsaken, or what ever they’re called will be interested in that place."

But Rudy shook his head. "At this moment, Jack, we don’t have any other ideas. It’s a good a place to start as any."

Jack shook his head in disbelief. "I can’t believe that we’re going to trust the word of a demon…"

Rudy walked over to the edge of the Gull Wing, and grasped the sides hard. The challenge that was going on within him was written on his face. He spoke to Jack, slowly, emphasizing each word. "I know you have your reasons…" Rudy turned to face Jack. "…but why must you through them out all of the time. What about me?"

Jack shook his head in confusion. "I don’t get it. What did I do?"

Rudy shook his head. "You say you trust me. Yet, when I decided to go along with Zed’s suggestion, you disagree. Yet you offer no alternative. It’s like you want me to forget that I’m half demon. Is that what you want?"

Jack backed up. "No… It’s not that. But you’re different. You’re…"

Rudy shook his head. "Things aren’t that easy. I can’t deny my heritage. Any more than I can hide it." Rudy looked over the side again. "How can I deny what I am? Zed is different…Just like Boomerang. They had their own ideas in the war. Tell me something Jack. Had I suggested we go to the Arena, would you have objected?"

Jack turned from Rudy, and looked out across the sky. "I don’t know." Jack shook his head hard, then slammed his fist into the railing. "Damn it! It’s just that when I think of what they did to…"

Rudy walked up to Jack. "How can you blame the actions of one, on all of them. I know you’re upset, but attacking Zed isn’t going to help anything."

But Jack didn’t say anything. He was too busy looking out across the landscape, lost in his own thoughts. Rudy shook his head, then entered the cabin to correct the course on the auto-pilot. Jack may not have trusted Zed, but Rudy did. And when they had no better idea, what harm could come of it?

.

Go To Chapter 16

Return To Wild ARMs Fanfic