Parasite: Prologue Notes

By Glarryg

Putting Notes in before introducing the main story may sound a little strange, but I wanted to put these down before starting the big part. It always helps me to know how other writers go about planning their stories. Maybe some budding author out there will point him/herself in the right direction and become a renowned professional after receiving my advice. And maybe I’ll grow a third nostril; I suppose anything is possible.

Originally, the Prologue was going to be a story in and of itself. I meant for it to be a short, simple tale that would help me get used to writing the characters. As you already know, it takes place in the part of the game after Crono is revived; it was to be a sort of “extra subplot” that occurs after all of the other subplots (Fiona’s Forest, etc.). This way, I could write something short that wouldn’t interfere too much with the original plotline.

Obviously, the “go kill a monster” idea is pretty basic, but I added the part about Magus testing his allies in order to give it (and Magus' choice to join the Crono group) a little more meaning.

I wanted to eventually write an epic that would occur at the end of the game’s storyline and have nothing to do with “Parasite.” But, as I wrote it out, I began thinking of more things I could do with the main idea. What used to be a short story is now the prologue to a longer tale, which will feature new characters and situations, and which will take place based on events that occurred in the Prologue.

.

A little about the monster: Helminthes’ original name was “Nereis;” its basic shape (segments and paddle-like limbs) resembles the real-life flatworm called nereis. I thought that the name sounded pretty cool (in fact, “Nereis” was the original name for the story) until I remembered that the fish-men in the Sewer Entrance of the Future are called “Nereid.” (For you etymology buffs, Nereus was a sea god from Greek mythology who fathered the Nereids; the name “Nereis” comes from "Nereid," as opposed to coming from from "Nereus").

“Helminthes” comes from the word “platyhelminthes;” a platyhelminthes is a type of parasitic flatworm. The “platy-” part means “flat;” the rest means “parasitic worm.” Giving it the name “Helminthes” led me to harp a little more on the monster's parasitic nature (i.e. the fact that it absorbs Fire Magic and revives itself by drawing energy from the ocean).

This may have been the most boring thing you’ve read since “A Tale of Two Cities” in high school (count yourself lucky if you didn’t have to read it; if you read it and liked it, you’re far more patient than I). Either way, I hope you enjoyed the prologue to “Parasite,” and I hope you enjoy the rest of the story even more!

-Glarryg

.

Glarryg's Fanfics