Sowing the SeeDs : Part 18 a fanfic by Greenbeans edited by Helen Fong based on the world of Final Fantasy 8 created by Square Electronic Arts L.L.C. Xu didn't interrupt the drill team session when she spotted Cid watching them from the doorway. The Headmaster quietly slipped the rest of the way into the room and continued to observe their training. He was in for quite a show. Zell had learned many new tricks since coming under Xu's tutelage. Sierra was no longer the invincible opponent that she once was. The smaller cadet took his time when attacking, throwing himself into the bout only when it was the most opportunistic for him. And that's not to say that Sierra had grown lazy in her efforts. They both had improved significantly since the beginning of last term. It's just that the odds were no longer so heavily stacked in Sierra's favor. When Xu called an end to the session Cid pushed away from the wall clapping. "Most impressive! You all do the Garden proud!" Some of the students blushed, while others accepted the Headmaster's praise with a nod and a grin. He had words of encouragement for them all before they retreated to the locker rooms. "That was spectacular," he continued when Xu and he were the only two left in the room. "They've put in a lot of work to get to this point. We're not finished yet, but it's encouraging to see how far they've come," Xu demurred. "You're too modest, Xu. They wouldn't have gotten to where they are without your guidance, but enough of making you uncomfortable. Do you think they'll be ready to go on tour by the end of the term?" "They should be," she answered after giving the question some thought. The term's end was over two months away. That should give her enough time to polish the team for presentation. "Excellent! I was bragging to Martine and he wants to see the proof," Cid smiled impishly. "I was thinking, perhaps it would be good for you to go out and scout the locations that you will be performing at. Galbadia Garden is a must, of course, and I'm sure someone in Dollet's aristocracy would be interested should we offer a performance in their country." "Well, yes, I suppose. But couldn't most of those arrangements be made via HD? Or is there a reason that I need to go?" Xu gave him a suspicious look. Cid rubbed his finger along his nose. "I'll draft up your travel itinerary. Please stick to it." Ah... So this was going to be another mission where she didn't learn what she was supposed to do until she was there. Lovely. "What about Sierra? Who's going to watch over her while I'm gone?" "Don't worry!" Cid assured, taking her by the elbow and gently leading her back into the training room proper. "I'll take care of Miss de Ling." ***** "I'm glad we had the chance to get together while you were in town," Michelle said before taking a spoonful of the thick clam chowder she was eating. When Xu had called her the previous day, Michelle had suggested meeting at a small restaurant on the wharf for lunch. Dollet was Xu's first stop in a whirlwind tour of the Galbadian continent. In fact, lunch was all she had time for after she met with a local event organizer and before boarding the train to Deling City. From there she would continue to the Garden and so on and so forth for a week. She couldn't fathom what Cid might have up his sleeve, there wasn't enough time for her to do much of anything! The two women caught up on each other's lives during the meal. Michelle showed more interest in what Xu was doing than she would have expected from the detective. Michelle commented that she would have be sure to get tickets to the event. Xu didn't know how feasible that would be. They weren't going to be spending much time in Dollet. Cid had penciled in only two performances here. One demonstration was to be held in the gym of a local high school with as many students as they could fit in the building. The other was an evening demonstration for Dollet's well-to-do. Personally, Xu would have preferred to only do performances for potential students, but she understood the need to demonstrate SeeDs skills to potential clients. In her mind, there was no doubt that SeeD was the finest mercenary force on the planet, but it never hurt to prove it. Though SeeD was free of any political ties, Cid understood that Galbadia wouldn't take kindly to them giving Timber's resistance cells ideas by demonstrating there. So, even though Xu would be passing through Timber, she wouldn't be stopping. That made for a long train ride. Luckily, SeeD had its own car that no one else was using. She could stretch out on a bunk and catch a few hours of sleep if she wanted. At least, that's what the plan had been. The train was already well underway when she heard the lock to the cabin door click. Hastily she got up from the bunk and straightened her uniform. It wouldn't do to ruin a first impression. The door slid open, but no one entered. A moment passed and then a woman with curly black hair and dark skin came in. She looked around her to see if anyone else was in the cabin and then went back into the passageway. Xu cocked her head slightly in confusion at what just happened. She was about to go to the passageway herself when another person entered. She recognized him immediately. "Jerrick?" "Madam Xu," he offered her a small bow. "Are there any others in this cabin?" "Just us," she answered, still wondering what was going on. He nodded and then called for those he was traveling with to come in. A person dressed in a heavy hooded cloak that hid their face entered with the black haired woman coming in and locking the door. "Madam Xu, allow me to introduce you to Jessica," he gestured politely to woman. Jessica bowed before putting her hand out to shake. Like Jerrick, she moved with a distinctive glide step. Both SeeDs were dressed in civilian clothing. If this woman was Jessica, then the one under the cloak must be... "Sorceress Edea?" Xu questioned. "Yes, child," the woman beneath the cloak answered. Xu offered her hand to the Sorceress. Jerrick and Jessica exchanged glances without Xu's notice. Hesitantly Edea met Xu's hand with her own and wrapped her unnaturally elongated fingers around Xu's. Xu was startled, but didn't withdraw. Having passed this first 'test' of acceptance, Edea drew back the hood that hid her face. The Sorceress wasn't what Xu was expecting at all. From the stories she'd read she was expecting a woman of unmatched beauty. Or perhaps someone whose face was filled with character. Edea was neither of these things. In fact, she was rather homely looking, unpresuming, and willowy. Her long dark hair was tucked beneath the cloak, but even still Xu could tell that something was amidst. It took her a few moments of what was undoubtedly rude staring to put her finger on it. Around Edea's ears and along the sides of her face dark veins were beginning to manifest themselves. Jerrick had said that the power was corrupting her physically. These were some symptoms of that manifestation. "Please leave us," Edea asked her two aides without turning her eyes away from Xu. The pair saluted before retreating from the cabin and locking the door behind them. Xu wasn't sure what the proper etiquette was when addressing a Sorceress. This was a woman people were taught to fear, but she couldn't bring herself to feel such disdain. Edea looked so defenseless. A deceptive package, yes, but still... She was also Cid's wife. That alone prompted Xu treat her with more respect. "I've been avoiding meeting you," Edea commented as she removed her cloak and hung it in a small closet. She spoke without accent in the Anshin language. It occurred to Xu that she had been biased all this time. The language of Centra did not belong to the Anshin alone, though they were the largest population base who used it. "Why?" "Because of what you are and what I am," she answered honestly. She glided over to one of the couches and sat down. With a gesture she invited Xu to join her. Xu did, but was careful to keep her distance. "Because I'm a Black SeeD?" Xu ventured. "No, because you are a Spirit." Xu unconsciously sucked in her breath. Yes, Edea had already indicated in her notes from the book that she knew the nature of Xu's place within the clan, but it still surprised her to be confronted with it so bluntly. Edea drew a small journal from a pocket and began flipping through the pages until she found the one she desired. "To begin, let me read to you a story that occurred over two hundred years ago. Sorceress Mirra of Esthar tells a tale about her predecessor, Quyza." << ~Story~ >> The day Julian died was an appropriately dreary one. But unlike the clouds in the sky that eventually parted, the gloom that hung around Quyza's heart did not recede. She had often spoken of the importance of her Knight. Even without understanding the role Knights play, I could see the love in their eyes that they held for each other. He served as her protector because he believed her to be the most important thing in the entire world. I offered what comfort I could in the days that followed; be it a shoulder to lean on or a companion at night. The welfare of my friend and mentor was foremost in my mind. Anything I could do to help, I would in a heartbeat. Quyza's grief was all consuming. She began to change not only in heart but in body as well. Naive as I was, even I could tell the signs of an unbalanced woman. The unchecked power was beginning to corrode her heart. I begged her to let me be her Knight. I swore my devotion to her, to protect her until death. She was touched by my sincere gesture, but that was not the role she wished for me to play. She asked me to take the power from her when she passed. Though I tried to be strong, I could not hold back the tears that ran down my cheeks as what she intended to do dawned on me. I agreed. If that is what my mentor wished of me, how could I refuse? The tears returned as I watched her draw a knife across her wrists. Her lifeblood spilt upon the floor and spread out across its polished surface. The power within her manifested itself in a blue aura that extended itself out to me. What happened next will haunt me until the day I pass the power to another. A sickly dark essence that took up the form of a ghastly beast drew up from her. The hate within its eyes could kill -- it would kill. I wondered then if that's what the corruption that threatens our conscience looked like. It gave out a silent roar in protest to its host's death and dissipated into nothingness. << >> Edea placed her thumb in the book to mark her place. "Many years passed before another mention is made of the dark creature she saw that day. It was a mystery that had always remained an idle curiosity for her, but she lacked the resources to discover its true nature. Here is another intriguing passage." << ~Story~ >> While exploring the World of my own creation I had a vision. It is said that our unique Worlds have the power to give us the answers we seek. I hadn't expected a stray thought about the death of Quyza to summon such a vivid scene. I found myself standing on the edge of a battlefield. The beast stood defiantly at one end, while small groups of Spirits were opposite it. I heard a whisper of its name: Griever. A calming silence settled among the Spirits and then chaos erupted. I was so startled by the violence that I returned from my meditations. Try as I might, I could not summon the vision again. << >> Edea slowly closed the journal before speaking. "This tale has interested me ever since I first took in the powers of the Sorceress. Curiosity and an inexplicable obsession have prodded me to study the beast called Griever. To understand Griever, one must understand the nature of the Spirits. To understand what it means to be *you*, Xu." "What do you mean?" Xu did her best to hide the sense of deja vu she felt at the discussion of a great battle. Was this the same battle she dreamt of not long ago? Images from that dream still haunted her. "The you sitting here now is not the real you, none of us are the real us. We spend our time in this World as avatars. For most people it will never be more complicated than that. When their avatar dies they awaken from their rest and continue on their journey. This concept is familiar to you, yes?" Xu nodded. That was the basis of Anshin belief. "And I'm sure you also know that Spirits come in two varieties. The ones we are most familiar with are those who are native to this World; the Guardian Spirits. They are weaker than the Spirits of the Path -- and even the Sorceresses in most cases -- because of the limitations of their permanent incarnation here. It is unknown if they can wake up from their rest and find themselves along the Path again or if they gave up their residency along the Path for a greater good. "The Spirits of the Path, you, are likewise limited in what you can do. In this World you are a human, but that does not mean all the 'rules' apply to you. Magic has a different effect than what is generally expected. From what Cid has told me, you've already uncovered some of those powers. Do not be afraid to explore them!" Xu shook her head slightly. "I'm not much of a mage. The physical arts are what I excel at." The Sorceress patted her hand. "There is more to magic than casting spells. "Although I cannot say this for certain, I strongly suspect that Griever is a Spirit from the Path and not a Guardian Spirit as I once assumed. I don't know why it would incarnate in this World. I can't imagine a Sorceress's grief being enough to summon it... "Spirits will act according to their nature," Edea paused to smile slightly. Undoubtedly she heard about Kei and Enju's Training Center duel that was brought about by their inherent dislike for the other. "While grief is not evil, a myriad of misfortunes live in its shadow. Little good can come from Griever roaming around this World." "So you're saying that this beast from Sorceress legend is out there somewhere preparing to destroy us?" Xu commented thoughtfully. "Why would it bother?" "It's not a bother, bringing grief is what this Spirit does. Just as protecting others is what you do." Xu felt her cheeks grow warm because of the mild reprimand. The Sorceress wouldn't be dissuaded from this Griever idea. "Now consider this: Spirits cannot die, but they can be expelled from the World they are in. Unless something unknown to us has happened, Griever must still be in this World from Quyza's time. It's awaiting the chance to accomplish its ends. "I warn you that expulsion from this World applies to you as well. Life magic will not resort your Spirit to your avatar. Once they are separated you will find yourself along the Path again." That brought Xu up short. A scowl crossed her face as she weighed Edea's warning. True, she'd never had to make use of a Life spell before. If Edea was right, death really was final in her case. Xu didn't like that idea at all, but was unwilling to test its accuracy. "It's nice to know that I'm an exception. Let me guess, this applies to Kei as well?" Xu asked wryly. "It is true for all Spirits of the Path. Your incarnation is a fragile one, but that is why you have extra protections." Xu recalled the wards tattooed on her back. She knew that she had an abnormally high resistance to magic because of them. She saw it as both a gift and a curse. There were definite advantages to having them applied to her, but on the other hand, it meant that she was likely going to need them. As Xu thought on it, the Sorceress rose from the couch and glided over to a small kitchenette to make herself a cup of tea. With her back to Xu she spoke in a softer, reflective tone of voice. "We Sorceresses inherited the power of the Great Hyne. We are entrusted to keep it pure and only use it in defense of this World. But power has a way of engulfing those who possess it. That is why we have a Knight -- a partner -- someone who loves *us* and will always be by our side." "I don't doubt that Cid loves you, but he spends all of his time at the Garden. Why don't you live together?" Xu questioned from across the room. If her sanity depended on another person, she wouldn't let them out of her sight. "It was at my insistence that he founded the Gardens and took up residence in Balamb. He trains the SeeDs of the future while I remain in Centra to take care of the children. It's a trial for us both, separated as we are, but it's what must be done." "I didn't know you and Cid had any children..." Edea returned to the couch with a cup of tea in each hand. She offered one to Xu before sitting down again. Another small smile played at the corners of her lips as she blew across the hot liquid's surface. "I've run an orphanage since the end of the Sorceress War. The children are my life; I would do anything to protect them. Over the years they've brought me such joy. I'm always sad when one of them leaves because I've found a family for them or they've joined one of the northern Gardens." With a sudden jolt, mysteries of the past revealed their secrets. Xu studied Edea's profile intently and knew that she was the same woman who had escorted Quistis to the Garden. Xu had only seen 'Matron' (as Quistis affectionately called her) briefly, but there was no doubt in her mind that they were one in the same. Then there was the matter of the Steelsharks. She hadn't forgotten Cid's cryptic comment when she asked if the smugglers really posed as much of a threat as he made it out to be. If the Steelsharks were victimizing the orphans that Edea and he felt so passionately about, then it would make sense for him to take it personally. They could be seen as a threat if they were kidnapping the children Cid hoped to enroll in his schools. It was a brilliant plan. Orphans were perfect for SeeD's calling. Without parents or a family except for their comrades, no one would miss them if they died. It was a morbid thought, but true. Looking at it in a more generous light, SeeD offered a way to get out of a crowded social services system that was riddled with cracks and neglected its charges. And, another part of her argued, it wasn't like anyone joined without knowing that their life was at risk. That held true for any military. "You're going to great lengths. I mean no offense, but I have to wonder how legitimate this threat is or if you're being paranoid about a possibility." The Sorceress's face became drawn. "Years ago I saw the aftermath of SeeD's battle with Griever. It is a battle that has not yet taken place." Xu frowned. As if things weren't complicated enough already. "Did we win?" she quipped dryly. Edea only smiled by way of answer. "If I was incarnated here for this fight, to protect this World, why prepare SeeDs? Why not let me handle Griever?" Edea took another slow sip of her tea before answering. Xu had yet to touch hers and guiltily took a sip. "Do you know where Griever is?" Xu flushed at the obvious answer. She'd have to find the legendary Spirit before she'd be able to challenge it. "There is another reason why you cannot fight it. You are not of this World. It isn't your place to cure its ills, only to protect those who will. Guard the Garden and its SeeDs with your life, Spirit. They are the ones who will preserve this dream." Before Xu could answer there was a knocking on the door and then it slid open. Jessica bowed to them. "I apologize for interrupting, but it's nearly time for us to leave." "I suspected as much," Edea said on the tail end of a sigh. She rose from the couch and went to the closet that held her cloak. "Thank you for speaking with me, Xu. You are one of the children we're trusting the future to." "Sorceress..." The woman pulled the hood over her head to once again hide her face. She then gathered Xu up in her embrace and gave her a comforting hug. Hesitantly at first, she returned it. The Sorceress stroked her hair reassuringly as a mother would her daughter and Xu could sense the caring Edea felt towards those who were 'her children'. Edea planted a matronly kiss on her cheek and whispered "SeeD wins" before withdrawing. Once again Xu didn't have the chance to thank her for her guidance. She was whisked from the room by her guardians before anything else could be said. It was while mulling though what was said that Xu realized why Edea had chosen to speak in Xu's native language. It wasn't for Xu's comfort, it was because the northern language lacked words for some of the concepts they discussed. How on earth was she going to report back to Cid without writing a report to explain the base terms? The problem of how to explain what she had learned kept her occupied for the remainder of the train ride. Sierra was seated in her usual spot on the floor by Xu's office leisurely reading a book she'd talked Zell into bringing back for her the last time he went to town. Not being allowed to go off campus was the harshest part of her punishment in her mind. She missed hiking along the mountains behind the Garden and visiting Balamb's bookstore. Turning the page, she glanced up at SeeD Jaylee, who was leaned against the wall across from her. The SeeD watched the cadets as Aucifer took them through their paces. Sierra felt a twinge of sympathy for her. Keeping a cadet out of trouble had to be a boring assignment when she was kept on a short leash to begin with. Jaylee wasn't the only SeeD to watch Sierra while Xu was gone. Every morning when she came out of her room to go to class it was a different SeeD waiting for her. They were sharing the pain. Sierra resumed reading. She'd be finished this book by dinner at this rate. What a drag. She didn't have any other books that she hadn't already read, and the Library had a crappy selection for recreational reading. "Hey, got any books I could borrow?" Sierra asked the bored SeeD. "I'd love to read the next one in this series, but the Library doesn't have a copy." Jaylee was about to answer when Aucifer come over. "Get suited up, Sierra, I need your help with the next class. Armed combat, so bring your weapon," he directed. "Jaylee, I'll need your help too if you don't mind?" The SeeD nodded her agreement and the two of them went to the locker rooms to change. By the time they were ready the next class had already arrived. It was a small study group with only a handful of cadets in attendance. One of which was Seifer. Jaylee knew that Sierra has previous run-ins with the head of the disciplinary committee. Hell, who didn't? Sierra seemed unaffected by Seifer taking part in the class. Aucifer had a deceptively blasé expression on his face as he addressed the gathered cadets. "During the next week we'll be doing armed one-on-one duels. This is your chance to demonstrate everything that you've learned. SeeD Jaylee and I will each be maintaining the status of a combatant. Show me what you're made of against an invincible opponent! "Since Mister Almasy has proven the most adept, I've got a special challenge for him. I've asked one of the drill team's strongest members to assist us." All eyes turned towards Sierra. She folded her arms across her chest and glared down the other cadets. Seifer's expression turned into a sneer at being given the opportunity to slug it out with one of his most troublesome rivals. The duelist took their places on the mat with their weapons drawn. Jaylee would be Sierra's back up while Aucifer covered Seifer. A slight shimmering was the only indication of the protective spells that were cast to dampen the hurt they were about to inflict on each other. No words were exchanged between the two, but their eyes said it all. Aucifer handed them the grudge match they'd been longing for. It was a well-fought match. By Aucifer's judgment, Sierra was the superior fighter, but Seifer managed to get in his hits. It was after Seifer took a swing at the back of Sierra's knees with the flat of his blade that things started to get out of hand. Sierra understandably took offense at the cheap shot and retaliated by pulling some poison powder out of a pouch and attempted to use it against him. He fought off the effects of the powder, but had enough on his face to cause him to wipe at it with the back of his sleeve. That was all the distraction she needed. She landed a solid punch against his forearm, forcing it against his nose. When he drew the sleeve away a thin trickle of blood traced down to his lips. "Bitch," he hissed. It was her turn to smirk. "You said you wanted a duel, so let's duel!" Jaylee gave Aucifer a concerned look. The Master shook it off, instead focusing on the battle going on before them. With a sigh, Jaylee could only watch the fight and back Sierra up as it continued. Whenever the fight would degenerate too much, Aucifer would call at them to step back and take a breath. "You're not fighting in a bar brawl, you're professionals. Keep your nose clean!" Seifer brought his sword around with a mighty swing and batted Sierra's shotaxe out of her hand. He quickly reversed the momentum and swung the other way to knock her away. She skittered across the floor -- likely acquiring a few mat burns along the way -- before stopping in a crumpled heap halfway across the room. Were she in charge, Jaylee would have called an end to the match at that point, but Aucifer didn't. Considering it later, the SeeD doubted that he could have stopped what was about to happen next. Slowly Sierra pushed herself to her knees. Her left arm hung limply at her side and a nasty welt was developing on her cheek. Her breathing was in gasps. A glow began to envelop her as an unnatural wind blasted through the room. "DON'T!!" Jaylee yelled. Sierra was about to Limit for the first time. The elder cadets who knew what was coming quickly grabbed their younger classmates and fled. First time Limits were often done out in the field or in the Training Center because there was no way to know what form they would take or how much destruction they would cause. As a general rule, Limits weren't allowed to be performed in the training room because of the inadvertent harm that could be done to others. And this was precisely why. It was too late to call Sierra off. She was too far-gone into the Limit to pull back -- even if she desired to do so. Sheets of rain began to fall, soaking those still in the room. At the center of the elemental onslaught sat Sierra. Clearly she was no longer in control of herself. "I don't care if I have to move mountains with my bare hands. I'll show you the Earth's fury," she growled at Seifer. In her berserk state, Sierra couldn't appreciate to look of shear terror that was on Seifer's face. He knew what was coming. Jaylee grabbed him by the wrist and ran. Aucifer had never seen a cadet discover their Limit before and stupidly stood there. She shoved Seifer through the nearest door and then went back for the Master. "Come on!" Sierra was still on her knees, shaking, raw energy crackling, searching for a ground to strike. Then the floor began to rumble from deep beneath it, like the room was being torn apart at its foundation. Splinters of concrete jutted through the mats, impaling anything that stood in their way. Jaylee followed Aucifer through the door and slammed it behind them. The hairs on the back of her arms stood up with all the energy in the atmosphere. The loud rumbling, howling, and booming continued for a few more minutes before returning to silence. She didn't ease the door open until her guts told her it was safe. The training room was cast in darkness except for a few flaming spots and the sparking of the blown overhead lighting. At the other end of the room, a group of SeeDs forced open the blocked doorway open. A team of medics was on their heels to recover any injured. They found only one person in the ruined room; Sierra de Ling, bruised, burned, and unconscious on the ruined mats. Aucifer looked around himself, dumbfounded as to what just occurred. "Think we can sweep this up before Xu returns?" Xu arrived in Deling City with her heart weighing heavier than her bags. She was certain that she would meet the Sorceress again some day. She just hoped that it was under good circumstances. She had a meeting with a local promoter in less than an hour. Once her business with him was finished she was going to visit Sean's family. It had been far too long since she last shared a meal with them. The drill team was scheduled to spend several days in Deling City. As one of the largest population centers in the world, there were plenty of opportunities for them to show off their skills. An entire evening was reserved for Vinzer Deling. The promoter and a Presidential liaison were going to iron out the details on what all that evening would entail later. Just getting the framework in place for the trip was good enough for now. Once they were finished with their scheduling, Xu was tempted to call Cid to let him know her progress. But all thoughts of contacting the Garden were driven from her mind when she entered Sean's parent's residence and she found herself buried in hyper children who wanted to greet her. Sean's youngest niece was a shy seven-year old now. The older children had nothing against telling 'Aunt' Xu how they were doing in school, their latest projects, and other notable events in their lives. Xu listened attentively to all of their stories and made sure that the shy girl was included in their discussions. Xu pulled the girl up onto her lap (even though she was a bit too big for that, or else Xu was a bit too small. Likely a combination of both). "Daddy's made a weapon he wants to show you," she confided in Xu and then buried her face into Xu's shoulder. It wasn't until after dinner that Xu got to see the weapon. Steven pulled her aside before anyone else could lay claim to her, including his father. He took Xu into the workshop to show her his latest creation. He'd recently obtained his Mastery from the Smith's Guild and was now assisting his father in the Junk shop. "So I get to see some of your works?" She knew that he wanted to show his weapons to someone who would appreciate the craftsmanship that went into creating them. Someone who wasn't his father. His father would always look down on Steven's efforts as the Master who taught him. "Oh yes," Steven beamed and unlocked a storage cabinet. He pulled out a tray that was covered in velvet and set it on the workbench. Three sai were on it, each one shimmered in a way unlike that of nickel and chromium plating or well polished iron. "I've never seen anything like them," Xu breathed. He handed her the sai with red cord twisted around the handle. Faint flame etchings were detailed along the prongs. The metal had a reddish shimmer to it no matter what angle she examined it from. "I doubt you have," he said smugly, handing her the next weapon. "You and father have inspired me. I'm trying to restore a lost weapon crafting art. "Life Guard is a remarkable weapon because of the magic beads father embedded into it, but during my studies I found reference to weapons that were truly imbued with magic. I know that you SeeDs can infuse your weapons with magic with the help of Guardian Forces. It's my goal to build weapons that don't require such skill to add magical power to them." Xu studied the sai in her hand with lightning bolts along it. "You've succeeded?" "My results have been mixed. These three weapons each have some magic in them, but not much. I'm not yet brave enough to try smithing with the -ga class of spells," he laughed at himself. She returned his laugh with a smile. "That's wise of you until you have more experience. Regardless of the magic's strength, these weapons are remarkable. Any success at all is noteworthy." He flushed at the well-earned praise. "I have a favor to ask as both a Smith and your brother. Please take them with you and test them. Admittedly, they're not the best weapons out there, but they should be good enough against weak monsters. I'd like to know how they do in battle and if you can boost their power by using SeeD techniques." Her smile turned to bemusement. "I'm a test subject now?" she teased. "You had me in mind when you crafted these weapons, didn't you?" "Well, yes," he acknowledged, "but it's easier to experiment using a hand weapon rather than, say, a sword. So much work goes into smithing one of those. Making a sai is child's play in comparison!" She chuckled at his mock display of exasperation. "Alright, as a Mistress, a SeeD, and your sister, I'll test your weapons for you." "Thank you!" He squeezed her arm and then bundled up the three sai. "If you haven't guessed yet, they're called Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder. Not very creative, huh?" "Not creative, but appropriately descriptive." "I should have known!" Sean's father burst into the room with his finger waggling at his son. "You'd monopolize Xu with your pet project as soon as you could steal her away from us. Go on, get. It's my turn to monopolize her!" "Yes, father," he answered meekly after handing the bundle over. "Thank you again, Xu." Sean's father shook his head at his retreating son. "Every Smith has to have a guinea pig." "I don't mind," Xu assured. "Well, *I* mind. I haven't seen you in years and he spirits you away to the workshop. Not that I didn't intend to do the same, but he should have let me have the first shot at you. Now then, did you bring Life Guard? Here, let me see them." Xu retrieved her sai from the drawer that they were put in before she entered the house. He carefully studied them, intent on giving them a once over while they talked. She was diligent in her letter writing duties, so she didn't have much news to tell him. And so they discussed other things instead, but Xu's mind was still focused on her conversation with the Sorceress. "What do you know about the Great Hyne?" Xu asked out of the blue. "The Great Hyne is a fairy tale told to scare children into behaving," he answered with disdain. "You don't know that story, do you? It's said that the Great Hyne is a god who created humans and then went to sleep. When he awoke he found the world covered in humans. Outraged, he decided to kill all the children. The humans fought back and trapped the god. He divided himself into two and gave his weaker half to the humans while running away with the more powerful half. Those are the origins of the Sorceresses, or so it's believed in the north. Personally, I like the Anshin take on it better." Xu perked up with curiosity. "What Anshin take?" "Exactly!" He agreed with a mischievous glint in his eye. "Now that I've told you what I know, why do you ask?" She leaned over a display rack to examine a sword that rested there. It was a finely crafted weapon, perfect for lopping a limb (or three) off a Grat. Xu sighed. "You may think I'm crazy... What if I told you that I was part of a vast conspiracy to save the world from the power of the Sorceress? Somehow *I* was chosen to take part in this adventure. Somehow *I'm* special. I don't deny the unusual circumstances that are a part of my everyday life... But how come it's always the 'special' person who saves the world? How come it's not some average schmuck off the street who stumbled into the role? Why is everything destined?!" She looked away from him sheepishly, ashamed by her outburst. She wasn't afraid of the tasks put before her. No, she was frustrated because this life seemingly wasn't her own. Whatever happened to being born, living life, and dying? Why did her story extend beyond the boundaries of death? Or was the Sorceress just playing with her mind like the Elders do? She much preferred a simpler life... The grizzled Weapons Smith's hands idly worked a new cord around the hilt of her sai as he weighed her words. He was nearly done when his response came in the form of a rumbling from deep within his chest. It was a guffaw of laughter that shook his entire body. "There is no such thing as 'destiny' no matter what the Anshin tell you," he assured, giving the knot he was tying a final tug. "What you're asking about is the tapestry called life. Think of it this way; we're all threads on a great tapestry that's being woven. There will come times when patterns are formed despite the randomness of it all. There will be designs that are pleasing to the eye and others that are downright ugly. "Were there no 'Xu' thread in the tapestry, yes, the design that's forming now may not take place, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't come at another time. There is only so much randomness in the universe. That's why history tends to repeats itself. The pattern will always show up again in the weave. "Not to put too fine of a point on it, but you're special -- just like everyone else," he gave her a wry smile to show his jest. Idly he tested the tip of the sai with his thumb, was satisfied with its sharpness, and returned it to its bag. Her lips tweaked into a slight smile. He had her there. With or without her, the world turns. It was egocentric of her to think otherwise. She had to keep her eye on the ball and do what she was here to do -- to be the best SeeD on the planet. Edea offered her a heads up on what was to come, but she couldn't let that dominate her thoughts. She still had day-to-day life to contend with. The future will get here when it does! "Besides, as a SeeD, aren't you waiting in the wings for an adventure to take place that you can be a part of?" She put her hands up, admitting defeat. "I'll be ready no matter what the challenge." "That's what I want to hear," he said and handed the sai back to her to be replaced in the drawer. He couldn't have her entirely to himself any more than Steven could. Feeling a bit better, she followed him back into the house. It had taken Seifer nearly an hour to stop shaking when he returned to his dorm after Sierra destroyed the training room. Images of being impaled by protruding rebar danced in his head. If the rebar didn't get him, the lightning nearly had. He was smart enough to realize that his sword served only to make him into a bigger target. He tossed his weapon aside and then SeeD Jaylee pulled him to safety. Fujin and Raijin naturally wanted to know all the details of what happened. Rumors were flying around the Garden since the first cadets fled the scene. Who knew where they were going to have practice tomorrow. The training room was a mess. "She's a psychopath!" Seifer announced authoritatively to the cadets gathered around him in the lounge. They all murmured and gasped at his declaration. In a situation like this, even someone as generally disliked as Seifer could earn the sympathy of his classmates. "Whatever," Squall muttered from his perch on the couch. "Don't say 'whatever'!" Seifer exploded. "She nearly *killed* me!" Squall rolled his eyes. "And what did you do to get her to Limit in the first place?" "Since when did you become her friend?" Seifer scoffed. The stoic cadet shrugged the accusation off. "You don't just sneeze and Limit. It only happens after you've taken quite a beating." That seemed to appease Seifer. "You're right, I did show her who the better fighter was." He agreed proudly before launching into a blow-by-blow description of their bout. Squall sighed and returned to only half paying attention to Seifer's boasting. Sierra hadn't moved except to blink her eyes and respond to Doctor Kadowaki's instructions since arriving at the Infirmary. The first response medics had healed most of her wounds. Unfortunately, it wasn't that easy when it came to repairing the training room. She only had vague recollection of it, and what she recalled she didn't believe possible. When she asked the Doctor what happened, Kadowaki clucked her tongue and told her to not worry about it. That didn't answer her question, so she persisted. The only answer she was given was that she had discovered her Limit. Her Limit, wonderful, why couldn't she remember it? She and Xu were going to start practicing Limits and then Xu was sent on some assignment. Her Limit wouldn't wait, apparently. No one visited her in the tiny recovery room. She didn't know if that was the result of Kadowaki's restrictions or a lack of friends. Not even Zell came by to see if she was okay. That hurt her, a little bit, insignificantly so... or not. Hmph. The door opened and her theory that the Garden was snubbing her was proven false, or so she assumed. It all depended on what SeeD Jaylee had to say. She paused and saluted briefly, even though there was no reason to, not to a cadet at least. "You'd think that you blew up the Garden with all the guards posted outside the Infirmary right now," she commented while pulling up a stool. "I see you've come around. How's the arm?" "Eh, fine," Sierra replied. "Why are there more guards than the usual escort I've earned myself?" "I think the guards are there to make the Shumi feel better, but you didn't hear it from me. That was quite a Limit you performed." "I don't remember it," she admitted. She didn't know why Jaylee was here, but the SeeD was the only person she had to pump for information at the moment. "Not surprising," Jaylee replied lightly. "Berserk is a nasty status ailment. Not only do you lose control of yourself but your memory's scrambled something fierce; you often don't know what to apologize for afterwards." That made Sierra grimace. "What do I have to apologize for?" "Nothing in my opinion, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That includes being sorry for scaring the living daylights out of Seifer. I've wanted to pop him one in the nose a time or two myself." "Well, Aucifer did give me a free pass at him..." That thought brought a small smile to her face. "Yes, I've never seen anything like that, to be honest. Must be a Guild training technique or something. I doubt he'll do it again," the SeeD shook her head. "Anyhow, I came to get you if you're ready to return to your quarters. Kadowaki says you can spend the night here if you want, but I figured you'd be more comfortable in your own bed." Sierra rolled off the bed and got to her feet. She was definitely ready to get out of this place, even if it was like being moved from one prison to another. Jaylee hadn't lied when she said that there was a ridiculous number of SeeDs guarding the Infirmary. Two started down the breezeway before them and two took up the rear after they passed by. "Could we go by the training room before the dorms? I want to see it," Sierra asked in a hushed undertone. The SeeD didn't respond, but when they got to the end of the breezeway and their escort turned left towards the dorms they turned right to go around to the training room. The SeeDs behind them followed and the ones in front quickly got back into position without questioning where they were leading the pair. They knew what the only other place Sierra would be interested in going right now was. The area was cordoned off. The large double doors that were earlier forced open had been removed entirely and now laid on their side against the wall. Temporary floodlights were set up and cast the ruined room in sharp shadows. Contractors from Balamb were called out to assess the damage and see if there were any structural weaknesses that needed to be shored up immediately. It was like walking into another world. No longer were they in the familiar territory of Balamb's training room, they'd entered a battle zone. Scorch marks marred the walls and tore at the floor. Debris was strewn haphazardly, as though a temperamental child decided to throw their toys about the room. Sierra couldn't believe -- didn't want to believe -- that she was the cause of such destruction. If the Garden didn't expel her for previous outbursts, this was surely reason enough to do so now. "Impressive, isn't it?" Jaylee observed. "'Impressive' isn't the word I'd use," Sierra replied bitterly. It wasn't often when she felt shame for something she'd done, but right now she wanted to drown in it. Then she wouldn't have to await Xu's return with dread. Damn them all over again! This wouldn't have happened if they'd just let her leave like she wanted! Damn Xu for keeping her here and trying to make a SeeD of her. Damn Seifer for being a snot-nosed prick. Well, fine, so she was out of the Garden. What the hell could they do to her now? Send her back to Trabia? Fabulous! Her father would take her in with open arms even if the rest of the planet hated her. On their way out Jaylee gathered Sierra's books and they went to the dorms. Another pair of guards waited outside her room for her to return. They both saluted her as she passed the threshold. Jaylee followed her in. It was a long day and Sierra wanted nothing more than to go to bed and wake up and realize this was all a dream. Jaylee had some advice to offer before wishing her a good night. "Some people may be afraid of you, but that doesn't mean they aren't proud to have you as a part of our team. Keep your chin up. As I said earlier, what you did was impressive. It makes me wonder what other tricks you have up your sleeve." "Why are you being nice to me?" Sierra grumbled. The SeeD laughed and shrugged. "I have nothing against you. As I told Cid this morning when he assigned me to watch you, I don't think you're as dangerous as everyone makes you out to be." "Even now?" She challenged. Jaylee nodded solemnly. "Especially now. There's danger in the unknown, but we now know more of what you're capable of. You're becoming less dangerous with every passing minute." Sierra would spend the rest of the evening trying to decipher the SeeD's baffling logic. Nearly out the door Jaylee added, "Oh, almost forgot, Zell sends his regards. I'll see if I can sneak him in for a few minutes when no one's looking, eh?" When Cid sought out Aucifer to hear his version of events, he found the Master in his quarters trying his damnedest to drink himself under the table. The Headmaster invited himself in and offered his services as a sympathetic ear. "I tell ya, I've never seen anything like it before in m' life," Aucifer shook his head in disbelief before taking another swig of his drink. "I feel some responsibility in this matter. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't know about Limits," Cid admitted. "Oh, I've heard of 'em, just didn't know that... ya know... It was that powerful..." Aucifer took up the bottle between them (which Cid drank none of) and poured himself more of the amber liquid contained within. "Sierra's Limit was unusually violent in its invocation," Cid consoled. "I doubt you'll ever see anything like it again." "I just wanted to give her and Seifer a chance to settle their differences... But... What woulda happened if she were expelled and then lost 'er temper? That woulda been bad ya know... She coulda killed someone... Not that she didn't nearly get Seifer. Ha! I wonder if he wet his pants. Were I him, I woulda!" Cid hastily leaned forward and steadied the bottle in Aucifer's hand as he attempted to pour himself more. The Headmaster gently pried the bottle from the Master's loosening grip and set it on the table out of his reach. He'd had enough for tonight. "Any person is capable of performing a Limit, we simply teach our students how to do it. Part of that instruction includes control. You don't need to worry. Now that we know the nature of her Limit, we can help her control it. "As for Seifer... I'm inclined to think that a good scare wouldn't do him any harm. Things that frighten us also caution us about potential danger. He'd be wise to remember the warning he received today." "Yer right, ya know..." Aucifer slurred, sliding further down into the chair his limp body was reclined in. That caused Cid to chuckle. "One of the perks of being the Headmaster, I suppose." Aucifer didn't hear his response. Alcohol induced sleep had already claimed him. ***** As Quistis waited by the main entrance of Galbadia Garden for Xu to arrive she recalled when she did the same at Balamb Garden. A small voice in her mind asked her if she really was waiting in the right place to greet her friend or not. Quistis briskly silenced the voice of doubt. The Garden had a Garage, but most of the vehicles in it belonged to the Galbadian military. Besides it was tradition to walk the last leg of the journey from the train station. A pair of Quistis' students meandered by while she waited. No doubt they intended on spending their rest day doing anything but the homework she assigned them yesterday. She didn't blame them. It was a beautiful day. "Xu hasn't arrived yet?" Eileen asked as she approached the SeeD. Quistis shook her head in the negative. "I'll wait here with you then. Martine needs to see her as soon as she gets in." She wanted to ask Eileen what was up, but knew better than that. It was likely SeeD business that had nothing to do with her at all and it'd be best to keep her nose out of it. Quistis spotted Xu walking towards them before Eileen did. During the last stretch Xu picked up the pace to a jog so that she could meet them sooner. Without slinging the bag off her back first, she met Quistis with a hug. Eileen chuckled at the scene before her. "I know that I shouldn't be impressed by the fact that you're not even breathing heavy after jogging over here with that heavy sack on your back, but I am." Xu combed her fingers thought her hair, brushing it back into place. "Chasing Cid around keeps me in shape," she admitted with a grin. "I'm sure it does!" Eileen agreed. "I'm sorry to insist on business before pleasure, but Martine needs to see you before you're settled in." The SeeD was half expecting Martine to call for her the moment she stepped onto the campus. "I'll catch up with you later, Quistis." Quistis accepted the dismissal with good grace. "Wait, I think you should come along, Quistis. This news will interest you as well," Eileen said, the hint of a frown tugging at her usually cheerful expression. Martine was pacing the anteroom to his office where he greeted his guests. He frowned at seeing Quistis, but quickly shook it off. "I only called for Xu, but... Yes, you'll want to see this too. Come along then," he waved them into his office. "I'll get right to the point," he said briskly before anyone had a chance to make themselves comfortable. "There was an accident at Balamb Garden last night. No one was seriously injured, but the Garden itself sustained damage. Let me read part of the report Balamb forwarded: 'The accident occurred around 1515 local time. Cadet Sierra de Ling, while training with fellow cadet, Seifer Almasy, unintentionally triggered her Limit for the first time. The Limit performed was multi-elemental and unusually potent for a first-time use. Heavy damage was sustained to the Garden's training room as a result (images attached). No serious injuries. Initial estimates bring the cost of damage to around 85,000 gil and it will take two weeks to complete the repairs.'" Xu was sheet white by the time Martine looked up at her from the screen he was reading. Her brows were furrowed and she was massaging the bridge of her nose. "Not again," she lamented weakly, "the facilities were rebuilt just a couple years ago!" "I'm still wondering how a Limit can be triggered by accident," Eileen admitted. "It can be done," Quistis assured, speaking from experience. Martine motioned at the images on the screen. "The report mentioned that she berserked before Limiting. I feel sorry for the kid. What good is having a powerful Limit if you can't control it?" "May I see the images?" Xu asked in a hollow voice. Her expression turned more crestfallen with every image he brought up. There was no doubt about it, they couldn't train there until it was repaired. "Would you like to call Balamb?" Eileen offered, feeling sorry for her friend. "Please..." Cid knew that Xu would contact him as soon as she found out about the training room. He'd been pacing his office for the better part of the morning in anticipation. When the call did come, he fumbled with the display to get it to focus properly. One of the Faculty discreetly adjusted the settings for him. He was ready for her tongue-lashing. "Ah, Xu, how's the trip?" His assistant shook her head. She wouldn't be distracted by pleasantries. "What happened?" He leaned back in his chair until he realized that it cut off the lower half of his face on the display. He righted himself and then shrugged. "An accident, plain and simple." Xu didn't need to vocalize the doubt she felt. "I realize that the circumstances are suspect, but that's the truth. Sierra had mentioned that you were about the start Limit training... I shouldn't have sent you away. I didn't know that she was that close to breaking through." "I didn't either," Xu admitted. Their conversation lapsed into a pause. He knew what she wanted to say, but wouldn't. She was torn between berating him for not keeping a closer eye on Sierra and kicking herself for not being here. "You needed to go on this trip," he said finally. "What happened wasn't the result of a mistake on anyone's part. It was an accident, they happen." She bowed her head in acceptance. "What about Sierra?" "She's here with me now. There won't be any more accidents until you return, I promise," Cid assured in a deadpan, though his eyes twinkled. With that promise to assure her, Xu bid him a good day and cut the connection. He turned away from his terminal and gave the room's other occupant a wry smile. "That went better than expected, don't you think?" Sierra didn't have an answer for him. For such a vibrant personality she had been usually quiet all morning. Still reflecting upon what she had done, no doubt. When he didn't pursue further conversation she returned to the novel she'd brought with her. What to do, what to do? There were consequences to her actions that he made certain she was ignorant of... Like the Shumi Instructor who had been badly injured when the ceiling collapsed in on it. There were also financial repercussions. A second Training Center accident within the last few years didn't bode well with the one who held the Garden's purse strings. Cid had deflected as much of that as possible, but knew that Xu would be held accountable regardless of her actually being present at the time or not. She was the one who insisted that Sierra be allowed to remain at the Garden. What was it that prompted his assistant to go to such lengths for the cadet? Cid had reviewed Sierra's files time and again. On the surface she had all the makings for becoming a SeeD: intelligence, strength, and courage. Her personality was abrasive at times, but under Xu's careful watch she was being pulled into check. Despite all that, it didn't seem to be enough. Was Xu capable of seeing the hidden qualities in people like Edea could? He smiled softly to himself. Yes, that had to be it. That had to be why Edea refused to take Xu under her tutelage when he offered to send her to the White SeeDs. He'd failed miserably when it came to educating Kei that first year, he was hoping the Edea would provide him an out when he took in Xu as well. By his reasoning, they belonged with Edea since she spent much of her time in Centra. Plus she spoke their native language, but she refused to take them in. 'They will help you when the time comes,' she assured him cryptically. Looking back on it, he hasn't been disappointed. Kei has grown into a mighty warrior, one of his most dependable SeeDs. And Xu, at Edea's subtle prompting, a trusted confidant. They were assets that he had more use for than his wife. He had them -- and others -- because she refused to accept what she did not need. The com on his desk buzzed. "Headmaster, SeeD Myn is here to see you." Myn? He didn't recall having an appointment to speak with him. Cid straightened his vest before asking for him to be sent in. "Thank you for seeing me, sir," Myn came up to his desk and saluted. "What can I do for you?" "Ah," he glanced over at Sierra. He obviously didn't know that the cadet had taken up residence in his office. "I wanted to speak with you regarding Miss de Ling, sir." That caught Sierra's attention. She put her book down and watched Myn intently. Unphased, Myn continued speaking to the Headmaster as though she weren't in the room. "As you know, the Trepies have been preparing for the Triple Triad tournament in Balamb on Saturday. Miss de Ling is one of our players. I've come to ask that you allow her to go to Balamb with the rest of the club and participate in the tournament. I'll take full responsibility for her." "Hum? Yes, I do recall seeing Miss de Ling at the last "Meet and Greet" that your club hosted. I should have known that you would draft the best Triple Triad players in the Garden for this event." "Sierra was selected to take Xu's spot in the roster," Myn confirmed. Cid's eyebrows rose with surprise. "Is that so? Xu is quite an accomplished player. Hers will be difficult shoes to fill. Very well," he tapped the switch to the com. He waited for his Shumi secretary to acknowledge before speaking. "Please clear my schedule on Saturday, I'll be in Balamb all day." "Sir, you don't need to do that! There will be no trouble. I promise that we won't fail you again!" Myn protested. Cid chuckled. "If there's anyone who has failed, it's me. I promised Xu that I would watch over Sierra, which I haven't with as much diligence as I ought. I'll go with you to cheer the Garden team on." "Y- Yes, sir," Myn agreed hesitantly. He saluted again and retreated from the office. Sierra frowned and returned to her reading. The Headmaster regarded her for several minutes before clearing his throat. "As I thought, you've been set up. You've won Myn's friendship -- an old classmate from your days in Trabia? -- and he's trying to get you out for a day on the town. Do you know how to play Triple Triad?" Her frown only deepened. "Who doesn't?" "Fair point," he conceded. "And he's not my friend," she continued sourly. Belatedly realizing how harsh that sounded, she explained. "We were in different classes in Trabia. I've only seen him a couple times since transferring to Balamb." "I see," Cid said kindly, "but leaving your old school behind provided the opportunity to make new friends. Who are some of the friends that you've made here?" "I-" she paused to reconsider her words before answering. "Zell is my friend, I guess." His eyes crinkled shut as he smiled in amusement. "You shouldn't guess when it comes to knowing who your friends are." She looked away, flustered by his mild teasing. "I suspect that you have more friends than Zell and Myn," he continued gently. She shook her head ruefully. "Maybe Jaylee? Though I haven't known her long..." "She does seem to have taken a liking to you," he agreed. "What about Xu?" By now their conversation had gone to so many unpleasant places that Sierra looked as though she had eaten something sour. "I don't like Xu." "Why?" "Because... Because she won't give up," she answered lamely. "Most would consider that an admirable trait. Is the problem really that she won't let *you* give up?" Sierra obviously didn't want to continue this conversation. He would let her off the hook this time. "Think about it," he advised. "I will." Xu restlessly paced around the room she was assigned. Her mind was too worked up for her to have any chance of sleep. She worried about what sort of mess awaited her when she returned to Balamb. That was in addition to still feeling ill at ease about the matters Edea had presented. She needed to work off some of this energy, but didn't feel up to going to the training room. It would only remind her of her own ruined facilities. If she asked, she knew Quistis would stay up to talk with her, but the young Instructor had classes to teach tomorrow. It wouldn't be right of Xu to distract her. Carbuncle tickled the back of her mind. Yes, maybe it could offer her some guidance... When Xu entered her Puzzle Stone she wasn't in her workroom. She was surrounded by darkness. Carbuncle was there, wagging its tail slowly as it waited for her to pick it up. "What's going on?" Were it possible, Xu was certain that Carbuncle smiled. It wiggled in her arms, indicating a direction it wanted her to go in. Xu obediently followed, unsure what they would find. Before long a light appeared. As they approached Xu could see that it was another room. It was... Her room here at Galbadia. She hadn't intended to enter the Puzzle Stone simply to end up back where she started. Her companion squirmed out of her arms and waddled into the center of the room. It looked at her impatiently when she didn't immediately follow. She knelt down next to Carbuncle to see what it was doing. "Protek," it squeaked out. Xu was stunned. Carbuncle never spoke when it wasn't in a humanoid form. She looked around her to see what it was referring to. Where it stood there was a small puddle of aquamarine. She dipped a fingertip into it and felt the tingling of magic. She put the palm of her hand against the cool surface and spread it out across the floor. The magic pooled back into the puddle it had originally come from. "Is this the type of magic Edea spoke of..?" Xu wondered aloud. Carbuncle whapped its tail and watched her. She dipped her hand into the magic pool again, rubbing it between her fingers. Why was there a pool of magic in her Puzzle Stone? She glanced around the room and saw a thin trickle of crimson forking down the wall. Xu stood up and walked over to examine it closer. When she put her fingers into the stream the magic burned, prompting her to quickly withdraw her hand. She studied the wall as she thought. What if...? She knew that the elders had a way to manipulate the natural energies around them. Every Anshin child had some idea on how to live a life that was in balance with their surrounds, it was nearly instinctual. Were these the energies that occupied this room? There was potential here. Experiementing with this discovery kept her mind off of other things. ***** In the days leading up to the tournament, Myn held regular practices and strategy meetings. It was with the Headmaster's blessing and amusement that those meetings were held in his office when Sierra's presence was required. At first she tried to worm out of playing by saying that she didn't like the game. Myn trumped that argument by noting that for someone who dislikes the game, she had a wonderful grasp of the concepts. Couldn't she swallow her dislike for one day and help them bring honor to the Garden? She replied that there wasn't much honor to be had in Triple Triad. And *that* snide remark earned her several laps around the Garden. Jaylee snagged her by the collar and drug her down to the ground level to enforce Xu's form of punishment until the snarky cadet remembered her manners. "I thought you were my friend," Sierra grumbled as she passed by Jaylee for another lap. "I am and so is Myn. You should treat your friends better!" The SeeD called after her. After her laps, she apologized to Myn before the assembled club members and their training began in earnest. She was no Xu according to everyone else, but she was above average. At least good enough that she should represent the Garden well. Because of the Headmaster's accompaniment, the Trepies arranged to take two vans to Balamb instead of walking. The tournament was being held in one of the warehouses on the wharf. The building was thankfully free of any residual fishy smells. Players from around the continent would be in attendance today, with some coming from as far as Timber to test their skills against the best Balamb had to offer. The event had drawn the attention of many of the local merchants, who brought out their best wares for the occasion. Vendors set up booths along the docks selling everything from gooey snacks to hand crafted Balamb fishing poles. "I heard that the Queen of Cards was going to be here today to oversee the tournament," Myn was heard telling the Trepies around him. Personally, Sierra couldn't care less. Once inside they saw several long tables set up for the participants to play at. Myn went to the registration table to check in. When he returned he had a number tag to pin to each of their backs so that the judges could keep track of them. There were three skill classes: beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Myn had registered Sierra in the intermediate class. The number on her tag was a bright red, unlike the blue or green of the other classes. "I had to talk them into rummaging down into the box some, but I got number 73 for you!" He said proudly while pinning the tag to her tunic. "Ah, thanks," she replied. "Anything for our newest member!" He gave her a solid pat on the back. She grimaced. "Tell me, Myn, if I'm here as Xu's replacement and Xu's as good as you say she is, how come I'm not playing in the advanced class?" "Because you'd be slaughtered if you played at that level, why else?" He explained. "Unless you've been holding out on us..?" She vigorously shook her head to the negative. If there was one thing she wanted to avoid, it was getting herself drafted into future Trepie events. He gave her another pat on the back before going off to help the next Trepie with their tag. Bleachers had been set up around the large room for those who had come to support their friends and family. After wishing each of the Trepies good luck, Cid dismissed himself to find a place to observe the games. Sierra was surprised by how quickly the stands were filling, and with more than a few people clad in Garden uniforms. As she passed by to get to the tables were her class would be playing she heard someone yelling at her. "Hey, Sierra, play like ya wanna win!" Zell waved enthusiastically. Sierra cupped her hands around her mouth before calling back. "How else would I play, you goof!" He laughed and gave her a thumbs up. In her opinion, she really didn't have the cards needed to be playing at this level. It came as no small surprise when she was able to squeak out a victory in the second round with a well placed Ochu card and the Plus rule. Her luck held out until the fourth round when a teen from one of the southern coast fishing villages bested her. She lasted longer than she expected. As a consolation prize the judge awarded the people who were eliminated that round a pair of level six cards. Since no one was around to tell her otherwise, she snuck into the stands to sit with Zell and watch the rest of the tournament unfold. Myn was eliminated soon after she was. The excitement that the supporters from the Garden hoped for took place in the advanced class. One of them made it to the semi-finals before being eliminated. "It was an excellent match," the Headmaster complimented from behind them. Sierra didn't know when he moved to sit by them, but knew that she was the reason why. Zell agreed and stood up. "Look! Now that the tourney's over, everyone's pulling out their cards to play informally. I want to see if I can pick up some new ones. Wanna play, Sierra?" The cadet shook her head. "Nah, you go on." He bobbed his head and then rushed down the bleachers to find someone to play against. "You don't have to stay here on my account," Cid said with a chuckle. It was hard not to laugh when an over-excited Zell nearly bowled over a group of chatting girls at the bottom of the steps by accident. "I've been thinking about what you said about Xu. 'Bout why I don't like her," Sierra said meekly. Cid stepped down a row so that he could sit next to her while they spoke. "Did you come to any conclusions?" "I think... I don't like her 'cause she's perfect, you know? She's smart, she's strong, she's popular, she's *everything*! Man, I would *hate* to be her kid and have to live in her shadow. And she makes it all look so easy, like anyone could have her success if they tried. No one's that good..." Cid raked his fingers through his hair in one of his compulsive gestures. "Are you jealous?" She shrugged in response. "You asked why..." "I'm sure you realize that it hasn't been easy to accomplish the feats that she has. Everything -- be it rank, skill, or honor -- has all been hard earned." "I know that," Sierra hissed. "But I feel like... like... she would show me the way if I was willing to go along with her. I don't want her help." He laughed. "How very stubborn of you. Are you sure you're not Anshin?" He teased. Sierra's jaw went hard at his innocent stab at humor. It was a common enough saying, 'as stubborn as an Anshin'. It was in reference to their notoriously unchanging ways. "Xu didn't tell you," she whispered finally. "I thought she had when she said she was going to defend a clansman. So what?!" She exclaimed angrily. "I was born in Trabia, that's my home. The Anshin can go to hell and take Centra with them!" "Hum...?" was all Cid had to say about the unexpected outburst. Sierra's cheeks had turned a pinkish color from her pent up anger. She glared around her, daring anyone to correct her. Her eyes returned to Cid, who still had a thoughtful expression. "I dislike the Anshin for what they've done. Xu's one of them... and so am I. "Dammit... I should have never come to Balamb. I wouldn't have met her if I hadn't. I could have continued to believe that they were all a bunch of backwater bastards. By coming here I've seen how successful she is and it makes me angry. Yeah, I'm a fool, a fool for hating them all without knowing even one. I'll admit it; I'm a bad person. Now will you please expel me and let me return to Trabia?" The Headmaster regarded her through slitted eyes. "My dear Sierra, there is no shame in your heritage. Trabia is a proud land with hardy and adventurous people. We need Trabians like you to be advanced scouts, trackers, and explorers. I won't allow you to quit any sooner than Xu will." She gave him a stunned look. Had he just missed everything she admitted? He gave her a faint smile. "'You can choose to be what you want to be if you choose to be'," he quoted. "Or, more comforting perhaps, is the reverse. No one can make you into what you don't want to be if you don't let him. It's a bit of a brainteaser, I admit, but I won't allow you to leave Balamb Garden until you've chosen what you want to be. That is the least I can do for you." "Thank you, I think..." They sat there with their thoughts for several minutes before Cid broke the silence. "I almost forgot. Jaylee mentioned that you were looking for this," he handed her a well-worn paperback novel. It was the next one in the series she was reading. "Headmaster?" He scratched the back of his head sheepishly. "I'm a fan of the author. To be honest, it's gratifying to see that a student enjoys her works as well. I've been trying to find a way to squeeze them into the curriculum for years without success," he admitted. That drew a snort of laughter from the cadet. "The Library needs more books like this in it. There aren't nearly enough for recreational reading." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Do you think so? I'll see what I can do about it." It lifted Xu's spirits whenever she saw the Balamb landscape burst into view when coming out of the undersea tunnel that connected Balamb to Timber. There was something about returning to the Garden that always set her heart at ease. Well, almost always. There was a mess waiting for her that she didn't look forward to cleaning up. The last time she spoke with Cid he assured her that the repairs to the training room were going well, but she wouldn't truly believe that until she saw it with her own eyes. She also intended to train Sierra night and day if she must so that another accident like this couldn't happen again. That wasn't exactly fair to Sierra, but she needed to be completely comfortable with the beast within, as it were. The Triple Triad tournament was today. Cid had mentioned that he was going to be in attendance and that Sierra was participating. Xu wouldn't have thought it possible to cajole her into it, but she had agreed without a fight. Once again Xu was hopeful that lasting progress was being made in reforming the testy student. Xu decided that she would stop by the tournament to see how things were going before checking in with the Garden. Technically, she was supposed to check in with her superior as soon as she arrived, and for her, that was Cid. When she stepped out onto the platform it was to be greeted by a fellow SeeD. She mistakenly thought he was there to board the train when he picked up her duffle. "You're needed back at the Garden, ASAP. I was sent with a car to drive you there," he explained. "Ah..." Xu brushed her hair back and frowned slightly. "Is there an emergency? Isn't Cid here today?" "He's with the Trepies, yep," her escort confirmed as they walked to where the car was parked. "I don't know why you're needed. A Shumi ordered me to pick you up from the depot and said it was urgent. So here I am." "How strange," Xu mused. While the Shumi had the cadets on a short leash, it wasn't often that they issued orders to SeeDs directly. When they pulled into the Parking Garage there were a pair of Shumi waiting for them. They insisted that Xu come with them immediately. Xu had a bad feeling about how they were herding her around, but didn't have a reason to refuse them. The SeeD who drove her offered to take her things to her quarters so that she couldn't even use that as an excuse. The unease Xu felt didn't abate as they guided her to the central lift. It wasn't often that she noticed the height difference between herself and those around her, but these must be the two tallest Shumi in the Garden. This was no coincidence. Whatever was going on was carefully choreographed, and she was certain that she wasn't going to like it. One of the Shumi slid a key into the lift's key panel. Using a key was the only way to get up to Cid's office without invitation. That was on the third floor. Xu was caught off balance when the lift dropped downwards. It made sense, this had to be the way the Shumi accessed the areas that they resided in. The Shumi didn't allow Xu the opportunity to boggle at the wide open space that the elevator emptied out to. They hurried her along to the right -- muttering things about how NORG mustn't be kept waiting -- until she stood before a large machine. She wondered if this is what a NORG was. The machine was in three sections. It had a central pod, and to either side of that were smaller pods with a colored lens inserted into it. She closed her eyes briefly as she felt Carbuncle stir uncomfortably in the back of her mind. It didn't like the situation any more than she did. "Be respectful when addressing NORG," the Shumi closest to her warned before retreating to the back of the room. The central pod opened to reveal a creature more grotesque than a Jelleye. It was the most obese Shumi Xu had ever seen. Its chin extended nearly a meter down its barrel chest to be like a fleshy necktie. The robes it wore were black with lavender sleeves and bore Balamb's SeeD emblem. NORG's eyes were like a pair of black beads nearly hidden in the folds of flesh that constituted its eyebrows. Its hands were enormous with long thick fingers that ended in points like the suffering Sorceress Edea's did. Xu did well to hide the repulsion she felt towards this Shumi. She'd seen one without its robes on before and knew that NORG was not the norm. "I am Garden Master NORG," it announced in a laborious voice. Xu got the impression that even drawing in breath was a challenge with all the extra kilos NORG bore. "Sir," Xu acknowledged and then saluted. She'd never heard of a Garden Master before. She didn't know where NORG fit into the chain of command, but apparently it felt that it was a creature of some importance and should be treated as such. It drew in a deep breath before leaning forward from its perch to better examine her. "Do you know why you are here?" It asked finally. "No, sir." It leaned back again and laced its long fingers together. "Then let me explain. SeeD and the Gardens are a business, an expensive business. It costs millions of gil a year to train new SeeDs, purchase equipment, and so on. For the most part SeeD is able to pay for the Gardens' activities with the fees we charge for our services. "It was not always this way. I am the one who financed this endeavor and continue to manage its finances. You can think of me as the owner of this Garden. I lease the facilities to SeeD in exchange for a percentage of the profits. "And that is why I have called you here. As the Garden's chief accountant, it's difficult not to notice when someone has demonstrated a tendency towards costing the business money. I was forgiving the first time you had an 'accident' in your training center, this time I will not be so lenient." Xu had remained perfectly still while NORG got around to the point. So, she was being brought to task for the damage to the training facilities. It wasn't uncalled for, she just didn't expect it to happen this way. "Well? Have you anything to say for yourself?" NORG invited, obviously not expecting her to say anything to change its mind. She could have pointed out that she wasn't even here when the latest accident took place, but she doubted it would accept that. As it was, she needed to be responsible for what happened even when she was away. Swallowing her pride she said, "Accidents happen, sir, and I take full responsibility for this one." "Hmmmm..." NORG looked over at one of the displays that surrounded him in his pod. "How unusual for a human to not try to squirm out of a situation of their own making. I admire that. The Garden will pay for half of the repair cost. You will pick up the other half of the bill." The restraint that came with her SeeD persona kept her from voicing her protest to such an arrangement. Instead she bowed in agreement. "Thank you, sir." "I trust there won't be any more accidents in the training facilities for years to come." Xu felt that their meeting was over at this point and waited for NORG to either say more or dismiss her. The Garden Master did neither as it contemplated something that it didn't voice. It seemed like she had stood there for more than ten minutes before it remembered that she was there and spoke again. It pointed a long finger to one of its assistants. "Give her a key." He then turned his attention back to Xu. "You seem to be an intelligent woman of enough influence around the Garden to have some observations to share. You will come down here once a week to share them." "Yes, sir," she said while accepting the key from the assistant. "Very well, you may leave." Xu saluted once more before exiting the Garden Master's chamber. The assistant who had handed over the key into Shumi territory came forward. "Master, is this wise? It is common knowledge that Xu is completely loyal to Cid." "I am aware of this. That is why I want to speak with her -- to learn things from her that Cid does not tell me. I suspect that he has holds foolish romantic notions of SeeD saving the world from a danger that does not exist." "Did you have fun today, Zell?" Cid asked congenially as he and the Trepies walked down the hall from the Parking Garage. "You bet I did! "Hey, I won this for you, Sierra," he added while bouncing around those they were walking with. He pulled a Triad card out of his shirt pocket and handed it to her. "It's a Grat, since they wouldn't let me drag one of the training center to give you, eh?" "Silly boy," she shook her head and Cid thought he caught a hint of a smile upturning her lips. "Thanks." The Trepies went their separate ways when they hit the end of the corridor. Most of the cadets turned towards the dorms to get a head start on their homework. The SeeDs all decided to go to the Cafeteria for a late dinner. Sierra really didn't want to be sent back to her room yet. The Headmaster left open the option to accompany him to his office and that seemed infinitely more interesting. Zell tagged along as well. When the lift let them out on the third floor they saw that Xu was sitting in the office anteroom with her arms crossed and her eyes closed. Sierra would have assumed that Xu was napping if she didn't know better. Her grandfather had a habit of doing exactly the same thing when he was deep in thought. Cid was unphased to find Xu sitting there. "I'm surprised that you didn't go to the tournament once you returned." "I've had an eventful afternoon," she answered, finally opening her eyes. "Do you have some time to talk privately?" "Of course," the Headmaster agreed. "Zell," he placed a hand on the startled cadet's shoulder. "You're in charge of keeping Sierra out of trouble until curfew tonight. I'll have no mischief or Limit Breaks from either of you, understand?" "Y- yes, sir!" Sierra only arched an eyebrow in response to Zell being her escort. She expect Xu to protest such an absurd arrangement, but the SeeD said nothing. They left Cid and Xu alone to discuss their business. Cid closed the double doors behind him and tumbled the lock. Xu sat herself down on one of the couches while he got them something to drink. Usually he would have offered tea, but he had a feeling that brandy would be more appropriate. "What's on your mind, Xu?" He asked while pouring her a glass of the liquor. "Ah..." she cradled her glass between her hands as she thought. "I've learned a lot in the last couple of months -- in the last week even. I met Edea, she's quite a woman. This afternoon I met NORG..." she stopped to sip her drink. Cid bowed his head, knowing that the meeting couldn't have gone well. "And?" "And I'm curious as to who is in charge of the Garden. What actions are planned for us? You've given me many pieces to the puzzle, care to put it together?" The Balamb Headmaster scratched the back of his head and leaned forward to top off her glass. "It started around ten years ago when Edea had a vision. After that she was convinced that there was going to be another Sorceress War and that we had to do something about it. I'm no hero, Xu, but that doesn't mean I can't raise them. At least, that was the logic Edea used on me. "We didn't have the money to start up the Gardens. I arranged the financial backing we needed from NORG. That was probably my biggest mistake. I've entered a pact with the devil just to get this operation off the ground. "He is the Garden Master. Technically, he has control of the Gardens, but not SeeD. He stays out of the day-to-day operations unless something happens that catches his attention..." "Like destroying the training room," Xu noted wryly. "Yes, exactly. Greedy bastard," Cid finished off the brandy in his glass and poured some more. "He wants me to report to him once a week," she confided. Cid snorted. "I don't see why. He already has his Shumi spying on you, or have you not noticed?" Xu bowed her head. She knew that something was amiss with how the Shumi treated her, but not what. Wun's attitude towards her had always been cool despite her gestures of friendship. Tou and Sree were socialable, but she wouldn't consider them anything more than co-workers. "I'm not sure what's planned for SeeD, to be honest," Cid admitted slowly. Xu was visibly stunned. Everything Cid had done up to this point was executed with the precision of a carefully crafted plan. Surely he had have *some* idea of what to do with SeeD when the time came! The Headmaster shrugged. "I only know one thing when it comes to SeeD's future: Squall Leonhart will be a part of it." That revelation deserved another drink. Cid was betting their future on Squall? Well, it could be worse. He could be putting it all on Seifer's shoulders. Squall was a competent student, a bit humorless, but she felt confident that he wouldn't get himself killed by doing something stupid. "What do you want me to do?" He had an impish gleam in his eyes as he raked his fingers through his head. "Do as you have been. Continue to help me raise our SeeDs. When the future is now, they must be ready!" Xu shook her head with bemusement. "To the future then," she raised her glass. "To our future," he agreed and clinked his glass with hers. ***** When Sierra poked her head outside her room the next morning Jaylee greeted her. Jaylee explained that Xu had gotten an early start on a busy day and wouldn't have time for Sierra until this afternoon. She sent her apologies for putting her charge off for another day, but it couldn't be helped. Sierra didn't have any problems with Xu leaving her alone for a half day longer. Hell, if she would do it indefinitely, Sierra would be happy. Training sessions were temporarily being held in the auditorium. Mats had been thrown out onto the polished marble floor. They weren't allowed to do any weapons training in this room for fear of damaging something expensive. The stark contrast of grunting, sweat covered students in a room of such elegance wasn't lost on Aucifer. He tried to hide the reservations he felt about practicing here, especially after what happened to the regular facilities. The guilt and anxiety he felt were as plain as day. Cid had assigned extra SeeDs to assist Aucifer in his teachings. If asked, the SeeDs maintained that they were there to assure that the cadets didn't do anything to damage the auditorium. The truth was that they were there as a form of moral support for the rattled Master. There was no reason for him to be afraid of teaching his students. At the training room, repairs were on budget and on schedule. The contractors (the same ones was called in from the last time the training facities was damaged) had a lot of work to do before they were finished. First the foreman brought in his chief electrician to repair the lighting systems. Then they had to take out the floor entirely so that they could replace the rebar and assure that the rooms below was properly insulated from the noise above. Once the floor was replaced they would begin work on patching the walls. From there it was on to the cosmetic repairs like a fresh coat of paint and installing new mats. For as kind as the foreman had been last time, Xu was dismayed to have to see him again. He was sympathetic to her situation and assured that he'd do his best to get the facilities repaired quickly. "It's hard to believe that your SeeD magic did all this," he admitted as they surveyed the work area. "It makes my wife's Sorceress stories all the more frightening." Xu didn't want to admit it, but he had a point. If a cadet without control could bring this much devastation, what was a powerful Sorceress capable of? She didn't want to be afraid, but only a fool wouldn't be. The foreman continued. "I didn't know when you were going to return. Cid said to restore the room to what it was before the accident and make any improvements I could. I took the liberty of ordering the mats and a punching bag to replace the one in the corner with a piece of shrapnel through it." "Thank you," Xu said. "How did you know where to order them from?" He threw his head back and laughed. "Who do you think got this room set up in the first place? When Cid first came to me the Garden had just been settled into the prepared site and anchored down. On the inside the rooms were so new you could still smell the paint. He kept the people in Balamb employed for months with giving the Garden the touches needed to make it into a school." "I see," Xu chuckled. Honestly, she'd never given thought to all the work that must have gone into establishing a school this size. Her question was an ignorant one. "Hum... You haven't re-paneled the walls yet." "Not yet, we won't until later in the week. If you have any secrets you want to tell the walls, now's the time to do it!" He laughed. Xu smiled. "I might just do that..." After she was finished speaking with the foreman, Xu went by the auditorium to see how Aucifer was doing. His brow was furrowed in concentration as he watched a pair of students spar. Xu watched them as well, trying to see what he saw. Their stance was a bit sloppy, but not so much so that it required stopping the exercise to correct them. "Why am I even here, Xu? I thought I knew how to teach students, but I don't," he confessed. She shook her head in disagreement and motioned to the pair that was fighting. "What do you mean? You're doing a fine job." "Except for their stance," he corrected. "See?" She patted him on the shoulder. "You're doing fine, Aucifer. I appreciate you covering for me while I take care of other things. And next week we'll begin working with the drill team in earnest. We've engagements to attend and world leaders to impress!" "To impress or intimidate?" He asked slyly. "I like the idea of making them think twice before messing with us..." She gave his shoulder a final squeeze, "That's the spirit." "Xu, one more thing, will you teach me how to Limit?" "Don't you have a class to teach?" "Tonight?" She nodded her head. "Fine, tonight then." Xu wasn't two steps out the door before she was stopped by Seifer. "You're going to teach Aucifer to Limit? What about your students? I haven't learned yet." "You shouldn't eavesdrop on your Instructors. Besides, you aren't ready," Xu tried to brush past him, but Seifer wouldn't let her get away that easily. "I'm as ready as Sierra was! I'm more ready than her. I won't blow up half the Garden when I do it!" She turned on him angrily. "Is that what this is about? You can't stand her having one up on you?" "I'm *ready*!" He insisted. "I'll decide when you're ready," Xu corrected coolly. "Go back to your class or I'll write you up for skipping." Seifer teetered on the edge of continuing the argument or going back to class. Xu simply stood there with her arms crossed and stared him down. He may have been taller than her by several centimeters, but there was no mistaking who had the stronger presence. He opened the door to return to class. "I could go out and teach myself," he glared at her. "You could," Xu agreed, "but don't come crying to me when you're dead. Now get your ass back in there." Xu turned around and saw Kei leaned up against the wall. "You know that doesn't even make sense? The whole 'don't come crying to me when you're dead' part." "Kei..." Xu massaged the bridge of her nose. She had completely forgotten that she'd asked her cousin to meet her for lunch. She glanced down at her chronometer and realized that she was more than an hour late. "I'm sorry." Kei waved the apology off. The cousins walked together to the Cafeteria. "I swear, some days I think *he's* going to be the one who blows up the Garden. Do me a favor, if you see him doing anything stupid, stop him." "That's a given," Kei smirked. "So what pet project do you have for me this time?" "Hmm?" Xu asked innocently. "Pet project?" Kei picked up a tray and got into line. "Yes, the student whose life you're going to change this term. Who is it? Don't tell me Seifer. I'd be inclined towards throttling the little snot." "Ah... You've got me there," Xu picked up her own tray and followed suit. "This one you'll be interested in..." Kei listened as Xu outlined Sierra's story. Of course she had heard of the student who wrecked the training room, who hadn't? Yeah, she knew *of* Sierra before that as well, mostly by reputation. It wasn't a good one, but Kei didn't interact with the cadets much, so it didn't concern her. Then the Anshin entered the story... Kei's anger grew as she heard of how Sierra's grandfather was banished. It wasn't right to expel him for looking out for their interests, though often it was the visionary who was punished. But still, her family had suffered an injustice and that *irked* Kei. Xu wasn't asking her to coddle Sierra. Sierra definitely had an attitude problem that was in need of correction, but having another person sympathetic to her resentment might loosen her up. Xu wanted to bring some resolution to Sierra's grievance; by either cutting her off entirely from that part of herself or by finding a compromise. It was a conflict they'd both already faced and resolved. Kei agreed to help Xu where she could, though she hoped that some day Xu would grow out of her 'saving lost puppies' stage. When Aucifer asked Xu to teach him how to perform Limits he was expecting her to take him outside the Garden to fight monsters. So it was no small surprise when she took him to one of the second floor classrooms and sat him in front of a terminal for a lesson. "You have to know the theory behind Limits before performing them," Xu explained when he asked what they were doing. He was dismayed at having to do homework that night, but not everything could be learned on the mat. It did make him feel better to know that Sierra hadn't stumbled into her Limit as blindly as he thought she had. She'd already done all the bookwork and was waiting for an opportunity to put theory into practice. He would get his chance as soon as he was finished with the bookwork. ***** Even though the training room was still in the midst of repairs, there was nothing wrong with the Training Center. When Xu was busy Sierra found herself paired up with a SeeD to get in more practice. The training was boring, cut and dry, go in, kill monsters, leave. Sierra had already grown tired of the routine and looked forward to when the drill team training resumed next week. Who would have ever thought that she'd feel that way about the drill team? As it was, today's training was disconcerting. It was always wise to know who the bigger fish in the pond were, and Kei was definitely that. For that reason alone Sierra was wary of spending 'quality' time with her. No cadet counted themselves lucky when paired off with the fiery SeeD. It bothered Sierra even more to know that Kei was Xu's cousin, a connection Xu made when introducing Sierra to Kei. Sierra loathed the idea of having *two* Anshin breathing down her neck, but Kei wasn't that way. She seemed to only be interested in SeeD and her Anshin heritage meant nothing to her. Kei was a descent person. If there wasn't so much bias built up before they'd met, Sierra could see herself getting along Kei. They kept their conversation to professional matters while they trained. Sierra was glad for the reprieve. Kei asked her questions about her Limit, but not in the same way everyone else had. There was no accusation or hidden fear behind her probing. She was genuinely intrigued by what Sierra had inadvertently done. She'd even suggested that sometime they go outside the Garden and see what Sierra could *really* do with it. Sierra knew that Xu planned to train the hell out of her when it came to her Limit. The prospect of doing that training with Kei seemed infinitely more appealing than with Xu. On their way out of the Center they stopped by Xu's office to pick her up for dinner. They didn't expect to find Xu standing by the far wall writing on the exposed insulation with a thick marker. "What on earth are you doing?" Kei asked, pointing to the wall. Xu had already marked other places around the room. Whatever she was hoping to accomplish would soon be foiled. Every wall was going to be repainted before the contractors were finished. Xu guiltily looked over at her cousin and answered meekly in Anshin. Kei had earlier explained that Xu preferred to speak Anshin when with fellow clansmen. Sierra could pick out words here and there, but was hardly fluent. She heard the name 'Carbuncle', that was a Guardian Force she remembered reading about, and Xu kept using an Anshin term that meant to rearrange natural energies. Sierra only knew the term because she'd pestered her grandfather into explaining how the placement of a plant could change the energy in a room. Personally, she thought the whole idea was bogus, but 'real' Anshin gave the belief more weight. Or, at least, one real Anshin did. Kei had her arms across her chest and was obviously chiding Xu for her foolishness. Sierra wanted to cheer Kei on, but didn't have the vocabulary to do so. Xu continued to gesture at the walls and explain the benefits of making weird scribbles on them. The scowl on Kei's face deepened. She then jutted her chin out at Xu in challenge. Xu accepted and landed an echoing slap on her cheek. "What the hell are you doing?!" Sierra yelled at them. "Dammit, and you tell *me* not to fight with Seifer!" "It's alright," Kei said, rubbing her smarting cheek. "I told Xu to prove it, and she did. That didn't hurt nearly as much as it should have." "Huh?" It was Xu's turn to scold Kei. Kei snorted with disdain and shook her head before answering in the standard language. "I usually go along with you, cousin, but not this time. I don't want to spend two hours explaining to Sierra what you're doing. I'm hungry! I want dinner now!" Sierra blinked. "Er... so what *are* you doing?" "I should be making you learn the language," Xu grumbled. Kei sighed and answered instead. "She's got it in her head that if she uses a form of Anshin magic to adjust the energy flow in this room she can better protect the people within. Like, that glyph over there influences damage received from physical injuries. I'd say she's off her rocker, but I've seen such nonsense work," Kei shrugged. "I could slug you a few more times to test it," Xu sulked. Sierra wasn't sure what peeved Xu more; getting caught doing this or Kei mocking its effectiveness. Kei laughed, taking Xu's threat as a joke. "No need. I'm sure the students will appreciate your efforts when they resume training in here!" Sierra eyed the flustered Instructor. It wasn't wise to test Xu's temper; she knew that. Kei was well accustomed to what fireworks may ignite from setting Xu off and didn't mind pressing her luck. She put an arm around Xu's shoulders and guided her away from the wall. "We'll come back after dinner and finish this up, okay? The Cafeteria won't be open all night, you know!" "You're just humoring me," Xu pouted, putting the cap on the marker and slipping it into her pocket. "Yes, I am," Kei agreed easily. "Coming Sierra?" Unsure of what she just witnessed, she shook her head and said yes in Anshin. She'd meant it as a joke, but Xu looked over and gave her a small smile. Had she just made a connection with the heritage she'd sworn off years ago..? No, Sierra assured herself, she wouldn't go that easily. True to her word, the three of them returned to the training room after dinner. Sierra asked to be taken back to her dorm room first, but Xu refused. She would have tried to convince Xu by saying that she had homework due, but it was hard to get away with that line when Xu was her sole Instructor. Sierra sat out of the way while they made themselves comfortable at the center of the room and talked softly. Dammit, it was boring watching them as they 'worked'. All they did was *sit there*! Xu must have heard her sighing. "Why don't you use your Puzzle Stone and join us?" She said without moving. Sierra snorted. "I don't have one and I don't want one." "Hmm... That's a shame, you could see what we're doing..." Kei slowly opened her eyes. She'd pulled out of her meditations to speak with Sierra. Xu seemed much more adept at having a foot in the world of the Stone while still being aware of the real world around her. Like Kei, Xu pulled herself the rest of the way out. "You should join us," she said again. "I don't want to." "Why not?" Sierra crossed her arms. She didn't need to verbalize why, Xu damn well knew why. Xu walked over to where she was seated, grabbed her by the elbow, and then marched her over to where Kei was still sitting. "You can't force someone to find their Stone," Kei pointed out. Sierra wanted to thank Kei for being on her side in this dispute, but knew better than to say anything. "I can't," Xu agreed after settling them into a small circle. "But I don't need to. There's a very good reason for you to learn the Stone." Xu's dark brown eyes drilled into Sierra. "This way you can see him again." Kei glanced from one to the other. "Him?" "Her grandfather. You can't summon those who have already returned to the Path, but you can review memories..." Xu stopped. Mirra had a vision from a stray memory. Because of that, Xu was no longer certain what the limits of the Puzzle Stone were. If she *didn't* tell Sierra the limitations that the Anshin believed there to be, she was sure that Sierra would explore in unexpected directions. Enju had already started down that road... "You're just saying that," Sierra accused bitterly. "Don't tease me." Xu took Sierra's hand up in her own. "I'm not." When Sierra glanced over at Kei to get her opinion, the woman simply shrugged. In her opinion, Xu was going out on a limb here, but so far everything she claimed had panned out. Kei didn't know when Xu gained so many insights. Her cousin had a tendency towards growth spurts when it came to this being a Spirit thing. "Fine," she agreed sourly. She'd simply act like she was trying when she wasn't. That would get Xu off her back. Slipping into the Puzzle Stone was incredibly easy. She didn't mean to, but it was like she fell into it. Sierra's grandfather had tried to teach her once, but she'd been too stubborn. This time, Xu didn't do more than nudge her in the right direction and she was there. She was... Standing in the living room of her grandfather's house. A roaring fire heated the room. Seated by the hearth was an aging man and a girl sharing a chair that wasn't large enough for the both of them. The girl had her head leaned against the old man's shoulder affectionately as he stroked her long hair. She was a willowy thing. Her left hand was bandaged and she looked to be a few meals shy of properly fed. "Aisierra, do you know why Guardian Spirits make us forget our memories?" The old man asked the child in Anshin. She turned her head up so that she could look at him while answering. "Because they fill us with their presence? They force the memories out of our heads?" She answered in a mix of the two languages. The memory paused when Sierra spoke. "I'd been learning both languages. Grandfather preferred me to speak Anshin when in the house, but none of my friends spoke it. When I got home from school each day, grandfather gave me additional lessons on top of my regular school work," she explained. She was caught up in the phantoms before her and was only vaguely aware of the two SeeDs who were witnessing the scene with her. The memory resumed. The old man laughed and hugged her lovingly. "Close. They help us forget the bitterness that might follow us to the Path and hold us back. You wouldn't want to return as a lost Traveler, would you?" "No..." The child answered slowly. "Then let go of your anger towards the Anshin. Don't ruin this opportunity with misplaced loyalty to me. I want you to experience their traditions, to see the things I can't show you here." "I won't leave you!" Aisierra clung to her grandfather. The phantoms of Sierra's memories vanished. The three of them stood in an open nothingness that lacked definition from any of them. "I'd forgotten," Sierra whispered. "I remembered that I didn't want to leave him, but the rest was forgotten." "You've got it back now," Kei observed. "That I do..." Sierra admitted softly. Xu took control of their mutual reality and changed it back to a mock up of the training room. Looking around her, Sierra could now see what Xu was hoping to accomplish. Lines and pools of varying colors flowed through the room. By carefully placing glyphs, Xu had been able to influence where the colors went. As Kei pointed out to her, they were currently trying to get the green in the corner to spread out across the floor. Once they found their solutions, they could apply them in the 'real world' and have the desired affect. At least, that's what Xu believed. Sierra was still doubtful about the effectiveness of such a system, but in terms of being a puzzle, this was an interesting one. By watching what they tried, she mentally attempted her own solutions. In fact, it one of her suggestions for a glyph placement helped to spread the green. "So, what does green do?" Sierra asked Kei while Xu 'returned' briefly to place the glyphs. "If Xu's right, it will act has a natural Regen spell. Just by being in the room you'll regain some of your health until you're in tip top shape." "Huh, I can see that being useful," Sierra commented. Actually, that would be pretty cool if it worked. That meant she could last longer in a bout if she kept getting some health back. Sierra saw a problem in that it wouldn't be exactly like it was in a real battle, but it fit the different mindset that Xu had established for the training room. The Center was for earnest fighting, challenging your skills, and putting your life on the line. The room was a 'safe haven' for learning skills without the consequences of the Center. It took both rooms to create a well-rounded student. ***** "Aww, do we gotta watch this movie again? We've seen it a hundred times, y'know?" Raijin complained as the opening credits to one of Seifer's favorite movies flared across the screen. Fujin elbowed Raijin in the ribs before Seifer said anything. They all knew that "The Sorceress' Knight" was Seifer's favorite movie, which should be reason enough for watching it again. Fujin understood Seifer's fascination with the film. The knight stood for something, for defending someone who's important to him. These are qualities that Seifer valued. Fujin could see it every time Seifer stood up for his posse. So, without further interruption or protest, they watched "The Sorceress' Knight" for the 112th time. As usual, they had to watch the ruby dragon gunblade fight a few times before Seifer was satisfied. It wouldn't be much longer before Seifer graduated from the sword and began training in earnest with a gunblade. The day couldn't come soon enough for him. ***** Even with a small victory under her belt regarding Puzzle Stones, getting Sierra to do as Xu wished was a struggle. Their most recent battle involved Xu's story journals. She wanted Sierra to read them to reacquaint herself with the Anshin language and history. Sierra wouldn't have anything to do with it. Xu bluntly stated that this was part of Sierra's World History course and if she didn't study, she'd fail. The cadet didn't take Xu seriously until after she flunked the first test. Sierra complained that it wasn't fair of Xu to do this to her, but Xu was unsympathetic. As a concession for meeting her halfway, Xu permitted Sierra to eat her meals with her friends. Of course, it only served Xu's greater plan to allow this, but she didn't have to tell Sierra that. Tonight found Sierra in the company of Zell and the twins. "I can't wait to have class tomorrow!" Zell announced after learning that the training room would be officially reopened in the morning. Xu smiled at Zell's enthusiasm. "I think you'll like how the facilities have been refurbished, but no more Limits in there, okay?" "Ha! I'm not going to be learning mine anytime soon," Zell assured between bites of his meal. He had claimed a few hot dogs before the Cafeteria ran out and was enjoying every bite. "We'll go outside the Garden sometime soon and work on yours, Sierra," Xu promised. The cadet looked up from her pasta, "I don't want to study Limits with you. I want to study with Kei because she's *nicer*!" Myn spluttered. "Pigs fly?" His twin promptly smacked him upside the head for his rude remark. "Kei isn't a SeeD Instructor," Xu smirked and shook her head, "but since you're doing an independent study, I won't argue who you choose to have as a tutor. Just so long as you keep passing your tests." Kei was a busy woman who didn't have the time to waste on a cadet who wasn't willing to give it her all. Fortunately for them both Sierra was up to the challenge of training with a seasoned SeeD. Upon reflection, Kei was probably the best one for the job because of her resistance to magic. Sierra's Limit was an uncontrolled force of nature that could intimidate even experienced Instructors. The pair roamed around in the forest to the west of the Garden in search of a beast powerful enough to tempt the Limit's fury. Kei knew exactly what type of monster she wanted to battle. Only a T-Rexaur would stand up to the paces Kei intended on putting Sierra through. "Don't get too cocky when facing a T-Rexaur," Kei cautioned while silently reminding herself of the same thing. "We'll fight for as long as you can handle before pulling out." Sierra nodded her agreement while checking the cartridges that were loaded into her shotaxe. She didn't have enough rounds to use that aspect of her weapon often, but if she needed to, shooting the monster would bring it down faster. They could feel the T-Rexaur before they saw it lumbering through the trees. Its heavy gait sent small tremors through the ground, alerting potential meals that a hunter was on the prowl. Kei drew first blood with a surprise summoning of Shiva. The ice queen sent crystalline blades tearing along the T-Rexaur's torso, enraging the large creature. "Your turn," Kei invited with a smirk. Sierra approached carefully since Kei had gone out of her way to anger it. T-Rexaurs' sight wasn't the best. It was possible to slide in under their field of vision and take a swipe at their ankles before they saw you. That was the theory, at least. The T-Rexaur snapped its head around at catching a glance of the cadet. It tried to capture her in its jaws, but only succeeded in tearing her uniform. Sierra wildly swung her shotaxe at its snout to drive it away before scrambling away as quickly as her legs would carry her. Kei arched an eyebrow at her lack of elegance. Wordlessly she slashed at the T-Rexaur, continuing her one-SeeD assault against it. The monsters grew tired of their pestering and charged forward with surprising agility. Sierra dove for cover behind a pair of thin trees. The T-Rexaur swung around and butted its huge head against the trees, felling them. The cadet was driven from the protection they provided and out into the open. Kei tried to distract the T-Rexaur with another summoning of Shiva, but it wouldn't be so easily dissuaded. It continued to pursue Sierra through the underbrush as she wove her way between trees and over rocks. Sierra was unable to get far enough away from the T-Rexaur to regain her bearing and take control of this encounter. Every time she thought she'd gotten away the monster would swoop in from above, knocking branches down on her and menacing her with its sharp teeth. An uncomfortable knot of panic was growing in the pit of her stomach. She couldn't run forever and this beast wasn't willing to let her go. She'd have to stand and fight. Her fingers fumbled around the safety of her shotaxe trigger. She could fire off a quick shot and maybe that'd give her the break she needed. Head down. Around that tree. Shoulder against it, turn, and pull! The force of the blast threw Sierra back. The T-Rexaur was closer than she thought, its muzzle a few short meters away when she shot the round into it. It recoiled with pain, a bloody, gaping hole where its nostrils had once been. Its roar sent what few brave creatures had remained in the vicinity scrambling. It wasn't dead, and it certainly wasn't happy. Sierra's breath came in haggard gasps. Her body felt hot, so hot. The panic-knot had worked its way up from her stomach and was now choking her throat. In the distance she could hear Kei yelling at her to Limit. This was different from last time. Last time she'd been angry, now she was scared. The knot made it to her brain and throttled it. A strong gust of wind blasted the T-Rexaur, giving it further reason to pause instead of snapping down on the cadet. A warm feeling enveloped Sierra's body. She was no longer in control of the situation and she didn't care. Only one persistent thought drove her actions: surviving the battle. From a safe distance Kei watched the elemental energies Sierra commanded ravish the landscape around her and the T-Rexaur. First the winds tore down branches and hammered them both with the debris. What had once been a tree canopy sky was colored gray by unnatural cloud cover. Arcs of lightning struck at anything tall enough to draw their notice. Torrential rains poured down on them, turning the earth beneath their feet into a thick mud. The onslaught continued unabated even after the T-Rexaur succumbed to the forces threatening it. Sierra had no control of the localized storm, she couldn't stop it once it was started. People always came out of their Limits on their own. Kei thought of ways that she could break Sierra out of her Limit. Healing the person who was Limiting will pull them out of the danger zone physically (except when using magic to induce the Limit). With that in mind, Kei cast a powerful Curaga spell on Sierra. Much to her surprise, the Limit continued despite Sierra being back up to full health. Kei morbidly wondered if the Limit would continue if she killed Sierra. An Esuna spell would calm someone down if they were berserked. Kei tried that next. The rains tapered off and the winds died down as Sierra's rage was subdued by the magic. The soaked cadet dropped to the ground after the tense muscles in her legs gave out on her. Kei knelt down next to her to see if she was all right. Sierra's breathing was shallow, but steady. "Can you get up?" Kei asked. Sierra weakly pushed herself up to her knees and sat back to survey the devastation around her. Absently she wiped a muddy sleeve against her cheek, managing only to spread around the mud that was already there. It would take the forest years to recover from the damage done by the Limit. The carcass of the T-Rexaur was battered and reeked of charred flesh. "How am I supposed to control *this*?" Sierra sighed. "With practice," Kei answered while helping Sierra to her feet. And practice they did until the sun began its nightly descent. Sierra was sore despite the numerous spells cast on her to keep her in the fight. Kei shuffled her off to see Doctor Kadowaki before they went to dinner. Zell latched onto Sierra when he saw how exhausted she was. He threatened to kick the ass of whatever monster had gotten her down (completely disregarding the fact that said monster was already dead). After dinner Kei took Sierra back to her room at Sierra's request. She was so tired from today's training that she wanted nothing more than to fall into her bed and go to sleep. That left Kei free to seek out Xu and discuss what she'd learned of Sierra's Limit. From what she was told by witnesses, Xu has surmised that Sierra's Limit was an all out elemental attack. Kei was now convinced that her guess wasn't quite on the mark. "It's geomancy," Kei concluded. "It has to be. The nature of the Limit changes depending on her surroundings." "Geomancy..." Xu drawled while considering it. Such a gift was rare, but not unheard of. It would make sense considering the evidence. In the training room, the rebar had been torn from the concrete to attack Seifer. In the forest, there was no rebar to control, so she used the trees instead. "Did you go to the coast to see what would happen?" Xu asked. Kei shook her head. "We stuck to the forest and the plains. But I'm certain that if she were in the mountains of Trabia and Limited it would cause a rock slide or blizzard. She uses the environment around her to attack." Xu idly rubbed her thumb along the side of her nose as she thought. "And this attack hits her as well as the enemy?" "Yes. It works in a zone, which she seems to have some control over. The zone when battling a Glacial Eye wasn't as large as the one for a T-Rexaur. Everything within that zone, including herself, is fair game. I damn near got zapped a couple times until I learned to stand back. "We made progress today, but I'm not sure she'll ever be more than a berserker when she Limits. Esuna can bring her back down... Without a partner there to pull the plug, she'll keep going until exhaustion or death," Kei frowned. They hadn't tested the death part, but she was sure of that as well. The frown on Xu's face deepened. "What's worse; to be turned away from SeeD for not having a Limit or to have a Limit that could very well kill you?" She mused aloud. "A sword can take your life if you don't wield it properly," Kei reminded. "This was our first full day of training. I'm sure there's room for refining her technique and control." Despite Kei's reassurances, the question she posed continued to eat away at the back of Xu's mind well into the night. They opened Pandora's box, foolishly believing that they could control the power it held. Carbuncle stirred and she mentally caressed the Guardian Force. Well, this wasn't the end of the world. Both she and Kei had adjusted to living with an element that they couldn't control. Sierra was simply going to have to accept that she was more like them than she wished. ----- Please visit our website at http://www.centragarden.net