Chrono Trigger: Relationships Chapter 12

End of the Line

By John Donahue

Crono was surrounded by white. Everywhere he looked, there was another patch of brightness. He smiled, joy filling him. For the first time, in a long, long time, he was happy. He threw his arms up in the air, reveling in the light. Then he heard a voice.

"Crono," it said, "Crono."

Crono looked for the origin, but is seemed from all around him, echoing in the light. Then, a figure emerged from the brightness, light coalescing to form a person's body. That person took shape and color and became Marle. She walked up to him.

"Crono," she said. "It's time to go home, Crono."

"What?" he asked. "I am home. I can feel it. Everything shouts out that this is my home. And especially because you're here, that confirmed it."

Marle shook her head. "No," she said. "Your home is among the living. With my father, with Glenn, and Elina, with all our friends. And-with Lucca. Your path lies with her, Crono. Not with me. It always has, and it always will. That is your home. Come on, Crono. It's time to go."

Crono tried to protest, but Marle would have none of it. The Crono felt a jolt. He clasped his head in pain, and felt it again. It was as though his entire being was being ripped apart.

"Goodbye, Crono," Marle said as she faded from view. Crono looked up at her, and she was smiling. He looked away as the pain came again.

***

Lucca looked down at the body. The boy she'd known all her life was gone. Shot in the head. It'd only glanced his scalp, but it was enough to kill him. She began to stand, but heard a groan escape from Crono's lips.

"Crono?" she gasped, startled.

Crono's eyes cracked open, and Lucca was there in an instant, helping him to sit up.

Crono moaned again, and asked, "Lucca?"

"I'm here Crono."

"How long was I out?"

"About an hour. I thought you were dead."

"I was." He said as he stood up. Then he noticed that Glenn and Elina were no where to be found. "Where-" he began, before Lucca interrupted him.

"They're fine. They went back to the castle. And the Captain...he's dead. I killed him."

Crono smiled. "Good work." He walked, slowly, up to the pyramid, looked at Marle's body, and said simply, "Goodbye." Then he turned around and walked back to Lucca.

Lucca looked up to him and smiled. Then she began to walk away, obviously expecting him to follow.

"Lucca," Crono began. She turned to face him.

"Yeah?" she asked.

For a reply, Crono took her in his arms and kissed her. She was rigid at first, then melted and put her arms around him. After a while, they broke. "I've wanted to do that since we were eight." Crono said. Then he shrugged. "I just never let you know."

Lucca smiled. "C'mon, Crono. Let's go home."

Crono smiled. "I am home- because I'm with you."

Arm in arm, they left the ruins.

***********************************************************************

Author's Note: Well, there you have it. Another completed story under my belt. For all my fans out there, I'm sorry to say that this may be my last fic. For a while, at least. I've got plenty of stuff to do, like finishing my book, and doing well in school this year. But I think I've had a good run, better than some, and I like to think my writing's matured along with me. But for now, this's it. So I hope you've enjoyed it, and I think this is the time to say goodbye. As always, remarks, comments, or criticisms are accepted and encouraged. And finally, it may take me a year, it might take me a month, but I will be back to grace these hallowed pages with my fics.

.

Return To CT Fanfic