A Promise Kept Epilogue

By Karura

*************

"All this love-is-in-the-air business is making me SICK!" (Yuffie)

*************

Costa del Sol, a week later

"Well, I'm feeling all happy and jumpy and peace-to-the-goddamned-world too, ya know, but not all of the problems are solved." Yuffie stiffed a yawn with the back of her hand, looking bored, "That gay Rufus Shinra is still the most f_cking powerful bastard on the face of the planet."

"We have time to deal with them." Red said, stretching out in the sun, "We deserved this vacation."

"And, at least they left us the Highwind." Cid grinned, "Since I'm the only one who can fly that babe, guess I'm stuck with your monkey ass for the time being, huh?"

"Don't get cocky you old dog, or I'm not liable for any missing materias tomorrow morning." Yuffie warned.

She then glanced around the room: "Speaking of missing, where is our all-mighty leader with the lethal hairdo?"

"Went to the beach with Tifa. They said not to wait for them for dinner." Red XIII wriggled his tail idly.

"And Aeris? Or do I even have to ask?"

"She and Sephiroth are at the…"

"Yeah yeah, gawking at each other, holding hands and hugging and getting all mushy, who cares where." Yuffie waved irritably, "All this love-in-the-air business is making me SICK!"

"Well, if you weren't so loud-mouthed and down to earth annoying, there might be someone gawking after you too, provided that you rid of those ugly orange sneakers…"

"Shut up you f_cking crack head!"

*****

'No!!!' Sephiroth cried out soundlessly in his nightmares, and woke up with a start, drenched in cold sweat.

Throwing the covers aside, he shakily climbed off the bed, and ran a hand through his tangled silver strands.

He still dreamed about it sometimes... Her death. The black icicle piercing her frail body. The tears mixed with blood as she whispered faintly to him. The life draining out of her eyes. Him lowering her into the water…

A small part of him still found it hard to believe that she actually came back to him, and feared that it was all a dream constructed by his wish. Suddenly he had a very strong urge to go check on Aeris, to make sure she was really here and alive…

After a few moments of hesitation, Sephiroth opened his door quietly.

Everyone was asleep by now, the hallway was dead silent as Sephiroth walked up to Aeris' door. He stopped there, unsure of what to do. All he wanted was to look at her face, to make sure she is still there, still breathing… but he did not want to disturb her slumber for some selfish and stupid reason like this.

Before he had more time to scold at himself, the door suddenly opened, revealing Aeris in her plain, white night gown. Caught by surprise, Sephiroth drew back slightly as he gazed down into her eyes.

She looked sleepy, but not a bit surprised, as if she was expecting him all along. She simply stepped to the side and said softly: "Come in, please."

He walked into the room, and let her close the door behind him. "How did you know…"

"I felt you, somehow… I think being in the Lifestream enabled me to do that." She smiled a little and sat on the edge of the bed, pulling him down with her gently. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she whispered soothingly: "I'm here Sephiroth… I'm right here…"

He put his arms around her waist and drew her closer, inhaling her sweet scent. He felt warmth seeping into his skin and gradually relaxed.

"I had a nightmare." He confessed in a low voice, "For a second I thought…"

"Don't think." Aeris snuggled closer and closed her eyes, "It won't happen again."

Sephiroth looked down at her calm features and it suddenly dawned on him: "Aeris, when you went to pray for Holy, did you know…"

"Sort of." She admitted honestly, "I had visions of… well, that happening. That was why I was so afraid back then, but I didn't really understood it… Then, when I was in the Lifestream I finally knew, in order to ensure the survival of the Planet, I had to be there, to guide Holy and Lifestream against Meteor."

She looked up at him: "Don't feel bad." She said quietly, "It wasn't your fault. No one could have saved me back there, because it was meant to be."

"Aeris…"

"But don't worry, it won't happen again." She quickly reassured him, seeing the pain in his eyes.

Sephiroth nodded, closing his eyes momentarily to let out a sigh. "I can't bear the thought of losing you again." He said honestly.

"You won't. That part of my mission is over, now I have to concentrate on being alive… and with you…" She blushed and smiled at him, adding softly, "Besides, it is up to me to carry on my people's legacy… The Planet would get really lonely without someone to talk to on this side of the Lifestream, you know?"

He couldn't help but chuckle a bit, his fear and anxiety slowly dissipating.

Holding her tightly against him, the words came to his lips before he could stop them: "I wish to stay here tonight… I…"

"Then stay." Aeris said tenderly, understanding fully what he meant. He did not want to be alone after the nightmare he had. And truthfully, she didn't want him to be alone either.

Slowly she lied down on her bed, pulling the tall SOILDER down with her. Sephiroth adjusted his arms around her waist. She smiled and nested comfortably into his loose embrace, and pillowed her head on his shoulder.

"Good night Sephiroth." She whispered softly and closed her eyes.

Sephiroth smiled. He gathered the covers around them both and then planted a gentle kiss on her hair. "Good night Aeris." He said and closed his eyes, for the first time in his life, he felt he could see the path to the future clearly ahead of him, and he knew exactly where he was going.

He was going to start a life with her.

Slowly, Sephiroth drifting into a peaceful slumber with the woman he loved right in his arms.

 

-The End

*****************

Author's N… I mean, Rants:

Heh… Well, this is it. My longest fanfic to date and the only really serious one. Believe it or not, I don't have a copy of the FF7 game. I've only played it once more than two years ago, when it was just released in the US (That, hopefully, explains the MAJOR plot deviations.)

Now, a few words on the Sephiroth x Aeris pairing:

I don't think Sephiroth was evil, period. Cold and withdrawn, yes, but not angry enough to want to destroy the planet and become a god on his own. I believe if he had a chance to learn and accept the truth of his origin, a lot of things would have turned out different. But just like everyone else, he needed support. He needed someone as sweet and innocent as Aeris by his side, to ease the pain and give him something to look forward to in life.

Of course, I can go on and on stating my reasons, but anti-Seph/Aeris people are still gonna be anti-Seph/Aeris, thinking I must've been dropped on my head when I was born…

Oh weeellie =P You believe in what you believe, and I stick to mine, okay? Peace OUTSIDE! Err…

 

Thanks everyone. Have a supreme day!

 

-Karura

http://alanasnow.tripod.com

.

Return To FF7 Fanfic