The Sorceress' Legacy Epilogue

By Kettch

Squall climbed up the narrow path near the ruins of Edea’s orphanage. He was amazed at how it looked exactly as it had after the battle with Ultimecia, when he and Rinoa came out of the time compression in the field near there. He walked through what was the back door, memories of his childhood, now freed, raced through his head. He walked through the bedroom where the children’s bunks were still arranged as he remembered them, though now they were half rotted and broken. Remembering his life here almost made him forget. He loved Rinoa even more now than on the night he proposed to her, but she was gone now. To have to live through her death was hell, but to live knowing that she was with someone he could hardly stand was beyond that. He wanted to give up, to end it all now. He didn’t know how if he could live without her.

He continued agonizing over it as he wondered out the front of the building and toward the broken pillars that lined the flower field. He walked over to them and sat, looking out over the field. It was so beautiful, as beautiful as she was when they stood there after he had saved her from the Sorceress Memorial. He thought back and remembered Rinoa speaking of her dream, the one where she couldn’t find him anywhere. This was where they promised to meet. He didn’t know why he took a boat here, but somehow he knew that this was where he wanted to be.

“I’ll be here.” A voice echoed in his head.

“I’ll be waiting, here. If you come here, you will find me.” He said out loud as he burst into tears. He sobbed as he stood and walked a few steppes into the field and stood looking out over the expanse of blooming flowers. A gentle breeze stirred the grass and blew flower petals into the so that they swirled around everywhere, spreading a peaceful fragrance through the air. Unable to contain himself anymore, He screamed and ran erratically, as fast as his legs could carry him until, exhausted, he collapsed into the flowers and faded off into a deep sleep, unwilling to live.

**************************************************************************************

A few hours later, as the sun began to set and the sky looked like it was on fire, a young woman appeared out of the ruins, walking toward the field. She looked around, searching for something as the wind blew at her dark hair and blue clothes. She walked to and fro, searching, but without finding what she was after until she noticed a single feather floating slowly downward on the breeze and into her outstretched hand. She looked hard at it as it landed, and saw something on the ground behind it. She walked quickly over to the still form on the ground and knelt beside the young man that lay there.

“Oh, Squall.” She said sadly cradling his upper body in her lap, as she ran her fingers through his hair. “Please?” She looked down into his face. His eyes were closed in sleep and had streaks from the tears he had cried. She couldn’t help the tears that began rolling down her own face as she gazed down on him. She buried her face in his chest and began weeping, fearing she was too late.

As she sat there crying, she noticed him begin to stir. She sat up and smiled as his eyes fluttered open and looked at her. Speechless he sat up, pausing for a moment before he reached out and cupped her cheek, using his thumb to wipe away a tear.

“Rinoa…..you….How?” He said, not sure what to think, not sure he wanted to.

“Yes, I remember now, fate must have smiled on us. ” Rinoa answered, pulling the Griever ring forward and showing it to him. “I think this is yours.” she smiled.

Squall smiled as he leaned forward and drew her into to his embrace. They looked into each others eyes for a moment before their lips met in a kiss.


The End

Final Fantasy 8 Fanfic