The Time Warp Chapter 10
The Path Home
By Master Odin

It felt so good to sleep in a real bed, almost as good as it felt to wear comfortable clothes again. The next morning we woke at the crack of dawn. We got some breakfast, checked out, and went to the Epoch. Glenn and I climbed into the back seats.

"I'm gonna sit in the back!" Lucca yelled as she jumped in between Glenn and myself.

"Would it not be more comfortable to sit in the front?" Glenn asked her.

Lucca shrugged. "Maybe, but how many opportunities does a girl get to sit between two handsome guys like you two?" She put her arms around us.

Glenn and I looked at each other. Handsome was the one thing I always thought I was not. Apparently Glenn must have thought the same of himself, because he looked just as confused as I felt.

"No wonder you wear glasses," I commented, preparing for a slap across the face. None came, but she did laugh at what I said.

Robo climbed into the pilot's seat. "It will be a two hour flight to Death Peak. It would be wise to get some more sleep before we arrive."

I reclined some in my seat and promptly fell asleep.

* * * * *

I awoke about an hour or so later to find Lucca asleep and drooling some on my shoulder. I looked over to Glenn, who was wide awake. He must not be able to sleep while riding.

Glenn looked over to me, then down to Lucca sleep on my shoulder. "I believe she has some affection for you."

I looked down at her again. "Do you really think so?"

Glenn nodded. "Yes. The question is, what do you plan to do about it?"

I shook my head. "Nothing. If she does have feelings for me, I can't tell her that I love her then walk away. It's probably best if I just leave it be, and just leave."

Glenn nodded as he turned his attention to the sky. "That is probably wise." There was a short period of silence before Glenn spoke again, "After you fell asleep Lucca told me that you wish not to return home."

I shook my head. "I don't."

"Then why are you returning home?"

I looked down at the floorboard. "Because I don't belong here."

* * * * *

Lucca awoke just as we landed at the foot of Death Peak. She quickly apologized to me, embarrassed that she had drooled on my shoulder.

Death Peak was a single earthen tooth rising into the heavens, completely covered in snow. We began the trek up the mountain up a very windy and very slick slope. We had to hide behind trees when the wind picked up strong enough to blow us right off the mountain. After we conquered this part of the mountain we walked a path that was protected from the strong winds by the mountain's rocky walls.

After a few hours of climbing we came to a natural bridge that we had to cross. The bridge was unprotected from the winds. Lucca crossed first, then Robo. Glenn almost fell off when he crossed. He must still be getting reaccustomed to walking on human legs.

I, on the other hand, was not so fortunate as the other three. About halfway across I lost my footing and the winds knocked me right off the bridge. As I fell to my death I closed my eyes and prayed that I could fly. That's when I stopped falling. I opened my eyes to see me floating several feet from the ground. I looked up and saw that nothing was holding me. I was flying. I had forgotten about the magic that Spekkio had given me.

I concentrated my magical energies and flew back up to where the others waited. They looked at me as though I were some sort of ghost.

"Y-you were just given magic!" Lucca exclaimed. "How can you know how to fly?!"

"I-I don't know. I just wished that I could fly as I was falling, so now I fly."

"Necessity is the is the mother of invention," Robo said. "We should move on if we are to reach the summit before sundown."

* * * * *

After that incident flight almost came naturally to me. Instead of running I floated along the ground behind the others. As we continued out trek to the summit I began to use my magic more and more to battle the beasts that attacked us, and I could feel my magical powers becoming stronger.

* * * * *

The sun was nearing the western horizon when we neared the summit. We had to climb up a spiky shell, what Lucca told me was the remains of a Lavos Spawn, to reach the summit. At the crest of the summit was what appeared to me a leafless birch tree, sparkling with frost in the soon to be setting sun.

"That must be the tree that Gaspar spoke of," I said as I approached it.

"There is a great deal of magic energy emanating from the tree," Robo noted.

I looked to the sun. Only a few more minutes before it would touch the horizon. I turned to my friends. "Well, I guess now is the time we say good bye."

Lucca started to cry. I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her. "I'll be alright."

Lucca sniffed as she wrapped her arms tightly around me. "I'll miss you."

I held her head to my chest. "I'll miss you, too."

We released each other and I walked over to Robo and extended my hand to him. "Thanks for all your help."

Robo shook my hand. "It has been a pleasure. Good luck to you."

I then confronted Glenn.. We grasped each other's forearm. "You've been a true friend, Sir Glenn."

Glenn nodded. "So have you, Wallace." We embraced each other. "Take care of yourself."

"You too, Glenn."

We released each other. I looked again to the sun. It was beginning to set. I walked back up to the tree and began the three sunwise circles. Upon completing the third circle I stepped back and watched the Gateway open in front of the tree.

I turned to my friends. I was about to say good bye when Robo yelled, "Wait!"

"What?" I asked. "There isn't much time."

"With the data I just recorded I believe I can make a device to help you locate places like this in case you ever become lost again."

I looked and saw Lucca and Glenn brighten up at the idea. "All right," I said. "Let's do that."


Chapter 11

Crossover Fanfics