Fall From Grace: The Story of Queen Zeal Prologue

By Mercutio

Fragments of the writings of Mammon, First Guru of Reason of the Kingdom of Zeal, year 41,238.

As the first Guru of... honored by making many new discoveries, including the Sun Stone...

...my colleagues and I had found a strange force deep in the earth... power beyond comprehension... nicknamed it "Lavos" after Earthbound lore...

I did more studies in private. It may seem unorthodox, but it appeared that the power of Lavos could grant eternal youth... possible to tap these resources... drew plans for a machine that could perhaps absorb some of Lavos' powers.

Illio and Dravil helped to build a miniature working model... Illio, Guru of Time, volunteered to be our "guinea pig", on which we focused the majority of the power that we gathered...

The change was very sudden... we noticed that he had lost some of the gray in his beard, and seemed to be more active...

In a week, Illio abruptly changed... his eyes, his voice, seemed not his own. He would often talk to someone who was not there...

I did more research on Lavos... arrival, destroyed an entire race, and could very easily do it again... Lavos' influence could lead to disaster... possession, corruption of the soul... how I regret what I did to Illio...

...we found him standing on the ledge of the highest balcony in the kingdom of Zeal... his speech was slurred and obscure, but I quoted it as well as I could.

"Lavos has taken me, but the same fate doesn't have to strike everyone... Please, Mammon, destroy your machine and hide away the plans. Please do not tell anyone about this, for they might find the temptation too great and their destiny shall be as mine." I tried to ask him why he also didn't want me to destroy the plans, but he disregarded me completely, continuing his speech. "Lavos is seeking its chosen one, and I am not the person. But before I degrade to becoming his puppet even further, I must do this last thing so as not to endanger anyone else." With that, he plunged off of the ledge, falling to the snowy ground below...

I fully realized the extreme danger of Lavos...took apart the machine, and hid the plans for the larger version in a secret hiding place in the wall of my room in Enhasa, the key being thrown into the ocean... fear that I cannot obey Illio fully, therefore I write these warnings in hope that whoever reads this can be aware of Lavos and his deadly... someone finds this before it is too late...

.

Go To Chapter 1

Return To CT Fanfic