Amor Vincit Omnia Chapter 8

Lucca's Confession

By Minmei

The day passed quickly. The guys, Ayla, and Atropos were off somewhere, probably picking up things from Truce and Porre. Schala was sleeping soundly, with Magus sitting beside her, watching over her. Marle and Lucca were on the other side of the area, directly across from the stepsiblings, discussing the day's events.

"I can't believe she's here," Lucca remarked quietly.

"Yeah, I know," Marle agreed, "and it's so weird, the idea she could be related to me."

"Yeah, but I don't get one thing," Lucca said, turning to her friend. "Why doesn't Magus-" she stopped to lower her voice to insure no one could overhear her-"Why doesn't Magus want Schala to know who he really is? I thought that would've been the first thing out of his mouth."

"I think he'll tell her eventually," Marle whispered back. "He isn't ready right now." She looked back at Magus only to see him giving her a funny look. She chuckled nervously before turning back to her friend. "...and I think we'd better change the subject because he knows we're talking about him."

"Okay," Lucca agreed.

"Let's talk about the OTHER event of today," Marle began, deliberately raising her voice to past anyone's liking. "What do you think of Frog-er, I mean, Glenn's-makeover?" She threw in a snicker afterward.

Lucca hesitated before answering. "Um, I guess it's a pretty big change," she said, trying to ignore Marle's efforts to get a confession out of her and not give away her true feelings.

Marle's expression turned scornful. She rolled her eyes. "Oh, come on, Lucca. That's it? That's all you feel about it? I saw the way you were checking out his heinie," she teased.

Not a second passed before the priceless look of shock registered on Lucca's face. "What?! That's not true!" she protested, blushing. "I-I couldn't even see his butt because his cape is so long."

"Ha ha! So you admit that you were checking him out," Marle laughed. She began to taunt her friend. "You like him, don't you? You think he's soooo hot, don't you?"

"What are you talking about? Stop saying that! I am not-" Lucca stopped in mid-sentence, sighed in defeat, and then revealed her true feelings. She lowered her eyes to the ground. "Oh, hell, I AM. What am I gonna do, Marle? I know we had this connection before, but now I'm seeing him in a whole new way. I think I'm falling for him. And he's so handsome, too!"

Marle continued to snicker. "Ahh…Ha ha ha, I knew it. Glenn and Lucca, sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-"

"Cut it out, Marle! Shut up!" Lucca hissed at her friend, still wide-eyed. "I'm serious here. It's getting to the point where my heart races when I'm near him! What should I do?" A somewhat pleading look crossed Lucca's face.

Marle tried to stifle her laughter. "Oh, Lucca, you know I'm just messing with you." She cleared her throat and reduced her broad grin to a tiny smirk. "Look, just don't deny your feelings. Talk to him. Find out if he feels the same way. If it was meant to be, then you'll find the same happiness Crono and I have. Personally, I think you two belong together," Marle finished dreamily.

Lucca raised an eyebrow. "Thanks, Marle, but well, no offense, but, um, you're overly optimistic about EVERYTHING," she sighed.

"What do you mean?" Marle asked, confusion covering her face. "You don't trust my judgement of this?"

"It's just, everything is nice and peachy in your world," Lucca informed her with a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "Everything is great to you. Everything looks fun to you. A pile of dog shit looks fun to you."

Marle's jaw dropped. She was completely appalled. "Hey, that was rude, Lucca. I do not-"

"Admit it, Marle," Lucca interrupted. Then, realizing she had gone a bit too far, apologized. "Sorry. I didn't mean to be vulgar, but sometimes you're just a little too perky," she finished.

Marle was silent for a while. "Well, I guess sometimes I go overboard, a little," she admitted. "But this time I really do have a good feeling about you and Glenn. I hope it does work out for you guys."

"Uh, thanks, I guess," Lucca said, shrugging.

On the other side, Magus was observing them, and he scoffed quietly. He had heard everything. Good NIGHT, he thought, was I as pathetic as those two when I was their age?

He was then hit with a fact of the past, and his grimace faded.

Hmm…Of course, when I was their age, I was bringing out the worst in Glenn...

.

Awww, isn't that cute? Lucca has a crush! Will the poor girl ever tell Glenn? To find out, stay tuned! After all, things may not turn out EXACTLY the way she planned...

.

Go To Chapter 9

Return To CT Fanfic