The Aftermath Of Mount Woe Chapter 32

A Meeting Of Bodies

By Nanaki

12,002 B.C.

"That's it folks, time to leave." The Zealian guard in charge of security started pushing the last few dance patrons out the door. "I'm not saying you have to go home, but you can't stay here."

"Now that sounds familiar." Greven laughed, stepping out of the large room. A cleanup crew was already working inside.

"Good night, Miss Schala." The guard bowed as Schala walked out. She politely nodded in return.

"Really? From where?" She asked, smiling herself.

"Selisha's dad's bar. He'd let anyone in, but he'd close up shop at about midnight, and force us all out."

"Oh, poor baby. All the boozehounds had to leave?"

"There were other bars. But since Selisha wouldn't go to any of 'em, I never went either." Schala noticed he was now talking with some trepidation.

"Say, I want to talk to you about Selisha."

Greven groaned. "I knew it! I just knew it! Why couldn't I keep my big trap shut?" He punched the air. "Fine. What is it?"

"How much does she really mean to you?"

"Not as much as you." He said, somewhat hopefully.

"Flattery will get you nowhere, at the moment."

"We were serious, but never that much. We both saw other people, and we never planned to get married or anything like that."

"Maybe you didn't. I get the feeling she did. My question is, what are you going to do about it?"

"Well-" Greven stopped talking as he thought he heard footsteps down the hall. "We're not safe here. I need to get back to Enhasa."

"Sure. Here we go again." Schala closed her eyes, and they vanished from the hall.

.

Greven breathed in the damp night air. It helped to clear his head. He noticed the lights of Enhasa in the distance, and figured they were about a mile away. Schala obviously still wanted an answer out of him. "You were saying?" She asked impatiently. Yep, she wanted an answer.

"She's going to have to get used to the fact that I'm with you now, permanently." She still looked unsure. "Look, what do I have to do to convince you?"

"I don't know. Its partly me, too. Its just that with her, you know what she has to offer, and with me, you don't."

Greven put his hands on her face so she was looking right at him. "We linked souls, remember? You should know-"

"So that's the only reason you love me more?" Tears came to her eyes. What was she trying to accomplish? She hadn't drunken that much.

"Are you thinking about what Dalton told us?" He asked, his eyes narrowing.

"Maybe a little. I did wonder if that was the reason why-"

"Of course not! I was severely infatuated from the moment I met you. And I was definitely in love with you when I kissed you for the first time. I'm sure of that now."

"So given your choice of ANYONE, you would pick me?"

"Of course! I don't know how you could have doubted it. Why are you asking me all this?"

She sat down on the damp ground. "I love you as much as its possible to love anyone. I don't really know, since you're the first person I've felt this way about, but I believe that this is true. I was worried that you don't feel the same about me."

Greven thought he was beginning to understand. He sat down next to her on the ground. "Don't you ever doubt that Schala. I've never felt this way about anyone else either. I've said it before, and I'll say it as many times as necessary to convince you. You're beautiful, and I love you." He thought he saw her face turn red in the pale moonlight. "Hmm. You need more convincing." He was smiling now. He bent his head until he was even with Schala, and kissed her deeply. She closed her eyes, losing herself in it. They both leaned back...

Schala let out a yelp. They had laid down in a puddle. "Oh, way to ruin the moment." Schala complained, as if the puddle would care.

"Guess we better change into something dry." Greven unsuccesfully tried to wring out the back of his shirt. "Wish I had my armor on when that happened."

"Let's get back to Enhasa. Its suddenly very cold out here." Schala shivered. Greven nodded, and they began walking toward the glowing lights at a brisk pace.

.

Greven chucked his wet clothes down to the basement area of Enhasa, glad to be back in his black shorts and tank top. He sat down on the steps by his room, where Schala was changing. Into what, he didn't know, but he hadn't questioned her. "Hey Greven, can you give me a hand here?" Schala's voice drifted out to him. He hurried to comply, but then stopped. Perhaps he ought to be wearing a bit more than this when going to help undress a girl. But his armor was inside the room. Besides, he was usually wearing less than this in similar situations. There was no helping it. He opened the necessary spellbooks and walked into the room.

"Thanks, she turned to smile at him. The fabric in these robes is so heavy when its wet, I really couldn't do anything about it."

"So how can I help?"

"Just help me take it off."

"You want me to just yank the dress off you?"

"Right."

'Oh man.' Greven groaned inwardly, happily this time. Schala raised her arms, and Greven hauled the offending fabric over her head. He flung it to the floor, where her royal robes already lay in a disorderly pile. "I don't know how you can stand to have so much on at once. What you're wearing now is much better."

"I like this better too." Schala said, swinging her arms freely outside her purple tank top. "But I usually don't have much choice in the matter." She looked up at him for a moment, before she hurried over and embraced him. "I'm sorry I doubted your feelings. I must have been kind of insulting, now that I look back on it."

"Its all right. The important thing is that we love each other." Neither said any more. Schala stood on her toes, eager for another kiss. Greven was happy to oblige. As his arms went around her waist, he realized that this felt closer than they had been before. Technically, they were closer, as several layers of clothing had been removed. He didn't like where this was going, although he wasn't sure why. He was on his guard now though.

Which is why he was worried as the kiss kept going, not letting up for a second. He felt Schala begin to move him over toward... "Hold on Schala." He broke away. She looked crestfallen. "Whether you were intentionally doing it or not, well, you know where this was going, don't you?"

"You don't want me?" More tears welled up. He couldn't seem to get it right tonight.

"I'm not sure. Because-" He quickly amended, seeing the look in her eyes. "-strange for me to say, but with you, it just seems like one of those things I shouldn't spoil. I think we should actually wait until we get married."

"Greven." She stated in an unusually serious tone. "Do you actually think that, in the world we live in, it will ever be possible for us to get married?"

He stared at his toes. "No."

"The what's the problem? I need you. I love you. You shouldn't have any reservations."

"But I do. Schala, I know you seem all world wise on the outside. But your battle skill is mostly inherited from Vigo, and your public attitude is just a defense mechanism, to keep away those you don't want near you. Inside, you seem very innocent. Too innocent for me to think of doing anything with."

"Oh really?" Suddenly, the golden light in the room went out completely. Only a few beams of pale moonlight illuminated the room. "Well you better start thinking that way." Before he could say anything, she pushed him back onto the bed. "Right now."

.

Go To Chapter 33

Return To CT Fanfic