Forever Only Lasts So Long Chapter 2

The SeeDs

By Shadow Fortuna

“Lend thy serious hearing to what I shall enfold. ”

* * *

“All right, then, begin.” Quistis finished addressing her class and sat down. Rinoa Heartilly looked at her test. Oh, shoot, she thought. I hope I can do this.

Selphie Tilmitt had helped her study last night. “Don’t worry, Rinoa,” she had assured her. “It’s not nearly as difficult as Quisty makes it sound.”

But Selphie hadn’t taken the written part pf the exam in Balamb, and when Rinoa pointed that out, Selphie had to agree. “Yeah, you’re right,” Selphie admitted. “But Zell and Squall did, and THEY said it wasn’t that hard!”

Still, her dorm-mate hadn’t calmed her fears much, and now Rinoa was regretting not being as optimistic as her friend. Okay, brain, she told herself. You can start WORKING now!

After what seemed like an eternity, the PA system crackled on, and a staticy voice called Quistis to the Headmaster’s office. Quistis left her best student in charge (teacher’s pet, thought Rinoa), and then left.

“Great,” she mumbled. “Just great.”

* * * * *

“Dude, we’re out of hotdogs. We only have French fries. Sorry. Next!”

“Dammit!” Zell stomped over to Squall and Selphie, who were sipping sodas at their usual table. “That smart-alecky snack bar guy NEVER saves me any hotdogs! All I have are fries.” He threw the paper plate down on the table, knocking French fries onto the table.

Squall sipped his Pepsi.

“You could try coming a bit earlier,” Selphie offered. “You might actually get one.”

Zell glared at her. “Oh, sure. Yeah. I’ve only tried that a TRILLION times. That loser just doesn’t like me!”

“Didn’t you shove his head in a toilet once?” Squall asked lazily.

“That could be the reason he hates your guts, Zell,” Selphie said.

“Shut up, both of you!”

“Squall Leonheart, Rinoa Heartilly, Zell Dincht, Selphie Tilmitt, and Irvine Kinneas, please report to Headmaster Kramer’s office.”

Selphie, Squall, and Zell looked up. “Well,” Zell said through a mouth of French fries. “Cid has another job.”

“Oh, nooooo,” Selphie whined. “It’s probably another crossword puzzle!”

* * * * *

Rinoa placed her test on Quistis’ desk on her way to Cid’s office. “Hmm…” she thought out loud. “Which way?” Picking a hallway, she waltzed through it. All of a sudden, she spied Selphie across the hall near what she hoped was Cid’s office. “Hey, Selphie!”

“Rinoa!” Selphie ran over. “Zell and Squall are in there.” She jerked her head toward a door. “So, whaddaya think Cid wants?”

“I dunno. What do you think?”

Selphie threw her hands up. “Probably a crossword puzzle. He’s like, addicted to them.” She looked around. “Hey, where’s Irvy?”

“Irvine? Probably inside, ya think?” Rinoa asked.

“Yeah, maybe…yep, he’s most likely inside.”

“Well, I guess we’re the last ones,” Rinoa said.

“You bet.” Selphie opened the door to the room. “Shall we?”

“Of course!”

And they walked inside.

* * * * *

“So, Cid, what’s up?”

“Yeah, whaddaya need US for?”

“It’s been ages since our last job!”

“Hi, Mr. Cid!”

“Yo, Quistis, are you in on this?”

“HI QUISTY!”

“Ahem.”

Everyone turned to Headmaster Cid. “Thank you,” he said. “Now, Quistis must discuss something with all of…why, where’s Irvine?”

“Irvy?” Selphie asked, looking around. “Hey, Rinoa, he WASN’T in here!”

* * * * *

Irvine was stretched out on the Garden lawn, his hat over his eyes. He was reflecting on his life. He was reviewing his problems. He was pondering his thoughts…

He was snoring.

* * * * *

“What’re we gonna do?” Selphie asked.

“Just pretend he’s here,” Squall said, leaning back into his armchair. “He never adds much to a conversation, anyway.”

“Hmmm…” Cid pondered out loud. “We could always page him again…”

* * * * *

“Irvine Kinneas to Headmaster Kramer’s office.”

“Huh?” Irvine sat up and stretched.

“Irvine to the Headmaster’s office. That is all.”

“Ooookay,” he yawned. “Looks like the old dude has a new job for me.”

* * * * *

The clock ticked.

Quistis tapped her foot.

“Okay, when is that loser coming?”

“Shut up, Zell.”

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Finally, the door creaked open and Irvine waltzed in. “Howdy, y’all.”

“Irvine,” Squall said, sounding exasperated. “Where have you been?”

“Taking a nap…oh, I was supposed to lie…”

“That’s okay,” Cid said hurriedly. “Quite all right, Irvine. Quistis, you may continue with our conversation.”

“Oh,” Quistis said, suddenly looking flustered. “Well, we’ve had a job offer, and…”

“Rad!” Zell exclaimed. “JOB means MONEY!”

Squall elbowed Zell’s ribs. “Shut up, stupid. Let Quistis finish.” He looked up at Quistis. “G’head, Quistis. Zell should be quiet now.”

“Owww…” Zell whispered, rubbing his side.

“Well, anyway, we’ve been offered a job for a, well, rather large amount of Gil. So Headmaster Cid and I called you up here to discuss whether you wanted to accept.” She shifted uncomfortably.

“Wait, wait,” Squall said, shaking his head. “How large is ‘rather large’?”

“Yeah,” said Zell. “We need to know what we get out of it.”

Squall smacked him discreetly.

“And what IS the job?” Rinoa asked.

“We get to that in due time, people,” Cid replied. “Only your employer can tell you that, Rinoa.” He turned to Quistis. “Why don’t you tell your friends about the payment?”

“THANKS, Cid,” Quistis said, shooting him a Look. “I suppose I will.” She looked at Squall and the others. “Well, it’s quite more than the usual amount…”

“What, like, it’s doubled?” Selphie queried.

“More than that.”

“Tripled? Wow, that’s a LOT!” Rinoa cried.

Quistis murmured something inaudible.

“Huh? What was that, Quistis?” Cid smiled. “What did you say?”

“Quadrupled.”

Squall’s mouth fell open. Zell fell off his chair. Irvine almost lost his hat. Selphie and Rinoa squealed.

“Hyne!” Selphie exclaimed. “That is CRAZY! Wowie-wow-wow!”

“Eeee!” Rinoa shrieked.

Squall regained his composure first. “Um, I, we, everyone should, um, discuss the acceptance or declination of this job offer.”

“Take it,” Selphie said automatically.

“Take it,” Rinoa agreed.

“Take it,” Quistis nodded.

“Take it,” Irvine said.

“Duh,” Zell said, rolling his eyes. “Don’t be STUPID Squall!”

“Um, yeah. I agree.” Squall turned back to the Headmaster. “We’ll accept.”

* * * * *

So, Squall agrees, eh? Find out what happens when the SeeDs meet Stellina! Third chapter will be posted A.S.A.P.!
Please review!
~Shadow~

DISCLAIMER: The characters of Final Fantasy 8 belong to Squaresoft and not me. HOWEVER, Stellina DiGiovanna is copyright me, Shadow Fortuna. Let me know if you want to use her in an original fanfic.
(And for those who were wondering, William Shakespeare said the quote at the beginning.)

.

Go To Chapter 3

Return To FF8 Fanfic