A Moment of Happiness Part 2

By Shiroi Ryu

"How could they have escaped?" pondered Hojo as he and a small group of Shinra's finest examined the debris cluttering the floor of the laboratory. "None of the doors are unlocked or broken, except the quarantine tube door…" Suddenly, a small flash of white caught his eye. He stepped over General Laurel's body to reach it. "Have that removed," he commanded, gesturing at the body. He knelt and picked up the object, a small scrap of white cloth. Turning it over in his hands, he studied it thoroughly. "Hmm…" he took it to a small microscope which was still intact. Examining it under the lens, he noticed small flecks of sparkling white. Crushed White Materia! He realized. But who…? Then he remembered, and, for one of the few times in his life, he swore, looking up.

"Briala…" he growled.

Sephiroth stared at her, fascinated and shocked. "What?" he asked. He couldn't believe that she'd said that, no one had ever said that, had ever had reason to. Briala just shook her head and smiled gently. For once, Sephiroth wasn't sure what to make of this. He wasn't interested in her, not just yet anyway. But he didn't think he should kill her either… He let her take his hand, and lead him off.

She led him far from the compound, to the outskirts of Midgar. She didn't speak, but every so often, she would catch his eye and smile. He endured this with patience, for, after all, wasn't a smile a much better thing than a frown? So he let her continue, not entirely upset with the whole arrangement. But, after a time, he became impatient.

"Where are you going?" he demanded.

"To someplace where you'll be safe," she replied. "Home. The Professor's house." Sephiroth stopped in his tracks, hauling her back.

"No," he told her. "I must find Hojo first, and make him tell me about my past. Then I will kill him, and we will go." He turned to go back.

"Wait, Sephiroth!" Briala cried, tugging on his arm. He looked back over his shoulder at her. "I know some things about your past…" He spun around to face her, faster than lightning.

"What do you know?" he demanded.

"Come," she led him into an alley, where no one would hear them. "Sephiroth," she began, "you are part of an experiment, called 'The Jenova Project'. I know this because I overhead Dr. Hojo discussing it with Uncle Gast one night. I don't know any more about the experiment…"

"My mother," Sephiroth demanded. "Who was my mother? Is Hojo my father…?"

"No," she shook her head. "Hojo is not your father. At least, I don't think so…but, well, he may be; I'm not exactly sure who your father is, but I have a theory…your mother's name was Lucrecia…"

"What?" Sephiroth stopped her. Lucrecia…he thought. Why is that name so familiar…? Then it came to him. Hojo's password! Hojo had a wife? Him? My mother… "Who was my father?"

"Um…like I said, this is only a theory, I don't know for sure…"

"Spit it out!"

"He was…Valentine. Vincent Valentine. At least, he and your mother were lovers, and as far as I know, Hojo isn't capable of having children…"

"What happened to Lucrecia?" Sephiroth demanded, cutting her off. Briala suddenly became very uncomfortable.

"Well…" she began, "Lucrecia, she…she…"

"Tell me!!!"

"The Jenova experiment killed her! She died giving birth to you!" Briala cried, turning away, tears streaming down her face. She threw her arms around Sephiroth, sobbing into his chest. All this shocked Sephiroth so that he didn't try to pry her off. In fact, he wasn't sure he wanted to…

Hojo killed his wife…my mother…he thought. "Lucrecia…"


Part 3

Shiroi Ryu's Fanfiction