IcyBrian,

My name is Jonathan Manheim, I'm Garth's father. Garth wrote a number of stories for your website under the name, "The Man". Recently, you offered him a place in your "Cold Fusion" project.

I'm afraid I have terrible news. Garth died by his own hand on July 11, while on vacation with us in Italy. For more information, see http://www.garthmanheim.com/.

I'm sorry you never got to know Garth personally, he was a fine young man. His death has shaken our small community because it was so unexpected. Garth was only solitary and in pain in some secret part of himself, to the world he was friendly, articulate, interesting, and warm. The schools, teachers, his friends, all the people at the tennis club, are shocked to the core because nobody can believe that this handsome young man was in such pain.

I cannot tell you how much we miss him.

Your website was very important for Garth. It brought him his first success and acceptance in the field of writing. In fact, it got him started on the idea of becoming a writer and of writing for his own interest and amusement. By giving him a structure with which he was familiar and interested, the fantasy world of Chrono Trigger, the site keyed his own imagination and creative skills. I thank you for providing that site and for giving him the encouragement he needed to develop his writing talent.

Regarding the Cold Fusion project, I know Garth was very interested in taking part in it. He talked to me about it right before we went to Italy and I know he replied to you saying he was interested. I think he was interested in the project, flattered to be asked, and very anxious to write his chapter. He started writing a story while on vacation, but only completed a few hundred words. I don't know if that was the beginnings of his chapter for the CF project or not, but he didn't get very far with it. I'll give you this quote from the story, entitled "Reno of the Turks":

"Maybe that's why I always hated weakness. Some people can deal with their weaknesses and those around them; they just don't let it get to them somehow. They're more or less content to just ignore their weak side. But I've always despised weakness. You just cannot rely on someone who is weak; they bend, they break quickly under pressure, and they can never get it back together."

I appreciate you asking him to participate and I know he did, too. I think he would have really enjoyed it and produced something typically Garth, filled with heroism and death.

I'm sorry to have to bring you this sad news, but I didn't want you to think Garth had simply lost interest, and I wanted you to know how much he valued your site and your interest in his work.

Jonathan Manheim