The White Mage And The Angry Toad Part 2

By Kat Dalton

"Laa tee taaaaaaaaa tee toooooo!!!"

Magus hummed as he added more details around his new castle.

"Most excellent! I have SUCH good taste!"

He had just finished his new family room, complete with white walls, furniture, lights, flower pots, floor tiles, and a portrait of his white as marble self, hung on the opposite wall from a window that showed the front of the castle.

"Now everyone can see my beautiful self!" Magus cried happily, clasping his hands together in joyful celebration. With that final touch, he had finished equipping the castle with every last addition that he might need, including hundreds of bedrooms, three courtyards, forty seven bathrooms, two kitchens, and various vaults where he held his most precious items, from his endless supply of ice cream to his most secret closet full of cartoon posters, and everything in between.

Magus plopped down inside a wicker chair lined with white cushions, and drew his legs into his chest. He closed his eyes quietly, and relaxed in the new sterility of his Poyozo Palace.

* * *

Meanwhile, a small visitor was approaching. His enlarged eyes were cold with hatred, as his hands were placed upon his blade, seeking revenge. It had been only a day since Frog had landed back on 600AD, and all seemed well, until his heightened instincts revealed that Magus had not left. It was a sense that told him to go and fight, for the final battle, and his final revenge, was at hand. He would either kill Magus, or die trying.

His mind filled with all sorts of scenes, Magus beheaded, Magus impaled on his sword, Magus begging for forgiveness… each thought was a pleasure that brought a smile to his face. He looked upward at the sky, taking in a view of its cool blue, a view that might possibly have been his last, if it weren't for the newer sight that surprised the hell out of him.

He dropped the Masamune in awe as he looked upward, the statue of a giant Poyozo doll staring down at him. He felt small compared to the size of the palace, as it stood several stories high, and incredibly wide. It was more than twice the size of Magus's old castle, and definitely more pleasant.

He composed himself and grabbed his sword, marching onward toward the castle.

"Tis a trick… I shall ne'er be fooled! Thy deception hath failed, your wretchedness!"

As he approached the castle, he saw a large sign that read "Poyozo Palace." It suddenly lit up, as a strange song began to play loudly.

* * *

"Someone's here!" Magus said to himself, as he heard the music play from the front of the castle.

* * *

"What an odd sound…"

Frog went closer, noticing large, bright clean windows in the front wall of the castle. He looked inward, and saw the sight of his life.

It was Magus. He was wearing white.

The front door to the castle opened suddenly, as Magus stood there, decked out in his white outfit.

"Come little person! There's no need to be afraid!" he sung loudly.

Frog barely winced. He held his sword firmly in his fingers, and walked forward.

"Prepare yourself, mage! Now we shall see who lives and dies!"
"Oh hush, frog boy! Put that thing away and come inside. I've got cookies!"
"You do not wish to dispose of me, Warlock?"
"You are SOOOO hyperactive!!! Come in, sit down, have a cup of tea!"

Frog growled, and held his sword in the air, preparing to attack.

"Uhh… let's make that one a decaf…"

He took Frog by the arm and led him inside the castle. There, Frog beheld all of the changes Magus had made to his residence. It was strange and dull and frightening, and was certainly not the type of decoration Magus was expected to have. Everything was white, from the white walls to the flowerpots and even the flowers, from the doors to the doorknobs to the light switches and floor tiles. In Magus's kitchen, he saw a white stove, table, counter, refrigerator, cupboards, sink, and dish washer. Frog was oblivious to what half of the machines were, and it interested him to know what they were used for.

He sat quietly at Magus's kitchen table, looking out a nearby window, at a strange garden, full of white flowers, surrounded by a white fence. There were green bushes and trees about, the only color visible in the entire place. It was all so bright that Frog had to squint to see. He pulled his legs into his chest, frightened at this new look.

My goodness… has he really lost his mind? Frog asked himself.

Magus approached the table, and noticed Frog staring blankly out of the window. He sighed, as he placed two steaming cups of tea on the table, along with milk, sugar, and little silver spoons.

"You should have seen what this place looked like before I came around." He said, placing the teapot on the table, along with a small plate of cookies. Frog let out a quiet "hmph," otherwise ignoring the statement.

"Come on, guest, eat up! I have plenty more where that came from. Only the best for my guest!"

Magus sat down and stirred his tea, pouring in a load of sugar.

"So tell me about yourself, toad." Magus said, pleasantly.

Frog stared at his archenemy, not bothering to acknowledge his tea or the sweets Magus had placed on the table. He kept hold of his Masamune under the table, preparing to strike at any moment. Magus frowned, and eyed his guest coldly.

"Don't be rude. Why don't you tell me where you're from? Where did you get the GIGANTIC sword? It's quite nice, and very well shaped…"
"Crono, the blessed young lad, sparred with the ancient essences of this blade, after which I came and defeated thou! Dost thou not remember? 'Twas the battle that opened the gate to Zeal!"
"Zeal… Zeal… I know that name from somewhere…"
"YOU CAME FROM THERE!"
"That's right! It was so long ago! I remember my mother, she was pretty… and my sister, she was pretty too… and I had a little kitty, he was so cute… I love cats, see, I once wanted this little ferret but mother decided to get me a kitty because ferrets were rare and-"
"I have no interest in knowing about your childhood."
"Well I do! I barely remember anything! I remember this big tunnel, and this big green guy, and then… well… nothing else. I woke up yesterday near this big ugly castle, and claimed it as my own. I decorated it myself, see?"
"You decorated it?" Frog asked, bewildered.
"Yup. I used my magic. Come to think of it… I don't ever remember having magic… I just… woke up with it…"

Alright, Magus, if you wish to play, we shall play. Frog thought. I can play around, too. Don't expect me to drop my guard.

"Thou dost remember Zeal?" Frog asked, as he looked downward to make sure his sword was in place.
"YEPPERS! It was so nice and pretty, and we floated in the sky, and we played games with the old guys, and the people were so nice, and the big Nus were SO CUTE! It was so fun, until that big Lavos guy came… but I don't remember much after that…"
"Lavos…"
"Yeah, Lavos. But enough about me, tell me about yourself!!! Where'd you get the gills, friend? How did you turn into a little froggy man?"
"YOU MADE ME THIS WAY! REMEMBER IT! The day, so cold, the last day I ever saw mine hands and feet… Thou hast slain my only friend and turned me into this being! Magus, you bitter fool, 'twas all thine fault!"
"MY NAME IS NOT MAGUS, TOAD! It's Janus, and don't you forget it! I'm no fool, I just blacked out for a few… umm… twenty years! I would remember such atrocities if they existed, which they did not! Get out of my home, you rude little bugger!"

Frog jumped out of his seat and perched on the table, holding his sword to Magus's throat. He responded by throwing his hand out, sending forth a burst of energy that sent Frog toward the wall. He held him there, with his magic, choking him, until his mellow state took over, and he slowly released his hold. He lowered Frog to the ground, and started uttering apologies.

"I'm sorry… I really am… I try to keep my temper in check…"
"Thou hast not slain me?"
"Ever since I was younger, I had this insane temper… I'm so sorry!"
"Tis forgotten, Ma-Janus. I shall be taking my leave, if you would so kindly show me the way out?"

Magus led Frog to the door, as Frog pondered Magus's current state. Magus was truly not himself at this point… his mind was elsewhere. Magus was no longer the rude, arrogant, self-serving man that Frog had hated, he was benevolent and trusting. If Frog were to attack and kill Magus in his current frame of mind, it would be a sin. It would not be revenge, it would be murder. This was not the man that had ruined Frog's life, rather it was a different being, within the same body. Frog left the castle quietly, as Magus stood in the doorway.

"Come back to visit, Mr. Toad. I did enjoy your company… it's awfully quiet around here, and you were quite welcome..."
"Please, sir… call me Glenn."

Magus smiled, as Glenn turned away, and made his way back to the other continent.

"'Twas not Magus… 'twas another soul… yet how? How hast Magus taken on such a flamboyant persona? And what of Schala? Doth he not remember his search for her? I must send word to my lady Marle quickly… mayhaps the intelligence of those of the future may be of service…"

With that remark, he left toward Guardia Castle.

* * *

Meanwhile, at Ozzie's Fort, Ozzie, Flea, and Slash were meeting. Each stared at each other, equally confused. They thought it had been bad enough when Magus betrayed them to work with the humans… but now, he was something else. He had done a total turn around, and it was depressing. The only one who seemed mildly pleased was Flea, with the knowledge that he might have a new shopping partner.

"That was not Magus. How could he have changed? He's so… so white!" Ozzie complained, as he banged his fist on the table in anger. He growled as he looked at his partners, who had no reply.

"I never thought Magus would do this. It was bad enough that he left us after we lost the war, joining the humans against us… after all he's been through with us by his side, he goes and plays Benedict Arnold…"
"I rather like his new look. He has style, not just drab colors… He's been wearing that same outfit for years. That ugly red cape and purple pants… yecch!" Flea said, shuddering.
"Something is very, very wrong here. Magus was not one to change. He's been the same ever since he was a child. He never wanted to make friends, never wanted to talk, never do anything but his own business until he was older…" Slash said. He rested his head on the table, discontent. He thought he had lost faith in Magus when he came to the fort to fight them. Now, there was no trust at all.
"I know. I've never seen him act so outlandish. And even if he were to change, it wouldn't be in such a short while." Ozzie complained.

Ozzie sat back in his chair. No matter how weak the army would be without Magus, their main goal was still to try and take over the human world. The humans were still at their weakest at this point… even though they had won the war, they still had a heavy loss of troops, and would need time to collect and build their army up again. They probably would have lost more men, if only they didn't have those strange little kids on their side…

"Wait a second… I think I have an idea." Ozzie said, perking up.
"Say it!" Slash yelled.
"We don't need Magus to lead us… think about it! We're all smart enough, right? And I have a GREAT idea."
"SPILL IT!" Flea demanded.
"Do you guys remember those fools who made Magus their ally?"
"The kids?" Flea asked.
"Yes! Remember how it was they, alone, that fended off Zombor, and battled with us and Magus?"
"Yeah…" Slash said, wondering just what Ozzie had planned.
"Well… think about it. The humans needed them to win the war, right?"
"So?" Slash asked, again.
"If we can get rid of them, they have no defense against us." Ozzie said, grinning.
"If we can get rid of all of them… we can get Guardia!" Slash added, already tasting the sweetness of victory upon his lips.

.

Go To Part 3

Return To CT Fanfic