Chrono Trigger: The Lost Force Chapter 8

The Showdown

By Dragoon Taryn

???? (Zovak's Hideout)

Magus was chained to the wall in his cell, thinking about what Zovak had announced. Taryn is the one with the ultimate power! And she and the others will surely come for me! Now the reason why Taryn had come through the Gate was clear, and the reason why it had formed in her era was clear also. Taryn's purpose must be to destroy Zovak, and to help the rest of us! She would be a great addition to our team! he thought, then shook his head. Here he, Magus, was, thinking about their little group as a team. Maybe he wasn't as much of a loner as he thought.

Suddenly he heard voices. "Magus is in one of these cells. Just look for the one that has a sign that reads 'Occupied,'" Taryn's voice told the others.

"Quiet!" Lucca's voice snapped, "Do you want us to get caught?"

Soon they were in front of his cell. "Magus! There you are!" Marle exclaimed.

They went into the cell and Crono broke the chains with the Rainbow. "Here's your scythe," Taryn told Magus as she held it out to him.

He took it from her. "Dalton and Zovak are upstairs," he informed them.

"Great! Let's go," Taryn said as she started for the stairs, but Magus stopped her.

"Wait. There's something you should know about the powerful person," he notified her.

"That's you, isn't it?" Marle wondered.

Magus shook his head. "No, Zovak made a mistake. The most powerful person," Magus pointed to Taryn, "Is her."

* * * * *

Dalton came up behind Zovak, who was staring out his window. "They're here," he announced.

Zovak turned to Dalton. "Good. Now let's hope that they walk right into my trap."

* * * * *

"So basically, I think Taryn was sent here to defeat Zovak and help us," Magus explained.

"Sort of like a new partner? Someone else we call when we need to destroy another evil, or discover a new Gate?" Marle wondered.

Magus nodded. "Right. So now, we should go get Zovak."

"I'm all for that! Let's get a move on!" Taryn ordered.

"Yes, oh powerful one," Lucca said sarcastically.

"Damn straight. And don't you forget it either," Taryn told her.

They all trekked up the stairs and into the Grand Hall. Zovak was standing by the window. "So, we meet again," he said.

"That's right pal. Now prepare to die!" Taryn whooped.

Zovak chuckled. "I don't think so. First, we need a good battle." He waved his hands and made an entire army of monsters appear. "Now, play nice."

And so the battle began. Crono and Lucca were busy trying to destroy all the undead monsters with Fire Sword. Magus and Taryn were attacking whatever they could with their Shadow magic, and Robo and Marle were casting Cure Beam and other cure spells to keep the others healthy. Finally, many of the monsters dropped dead. (Exactly how can an undead drop dead anyway? Oh well.)

Taryn approached Zovak. "It's the end," she told him in a serious voice.

"I hardly think so, dear girl." He pulled out his staff, "Prepare for the battle of your life!"

Taryn and Zovak went at it. Both were excellent fighters, and not many hits were being taken. Until Zovak casted Dark Bomb, which caused Taryn to go flying into a wall. "Ow, that smarts," Taryn muttered.

Zovak stood over her, his staff glowing. "Prepare to feel powerless."

The crystal on his staff began to absorb Taryn's power. Taryn began to feel weak. And Magus noticed it. He ran over to Zovak and smacked the staff out of his hands, and it flew into a corner.

"You fool! Look what you did!" Zovak snarled. He went over to retrieve his staff, only to find that it was now in Taryn's possession.

"I really, really hate this thing," she announced, then smashed it against the wall, causing the crystal to shatter.

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!" Zovak screamed as the energy began to flow out of the staff.

Dalton came running to his brother's side. "Look what has happened! You idiots!" Dalton screamed at them.

Then, for some reason, Zovak began to laugh. "What's so funny brother?" Dalton asked, confused.

With a lightning fast move, Zovak ran and grabbed Taryn around the waist, then made a portal appear. "We shall meet again," he told them.

"No! Let go of me!" Taryn hollered as she and Zovak disappeared.

Magus became angry. "What happened? Where did her take her?" he demanded of Dalton.

Dalton shook his head. "I don't know. But for your friend, it could be bad. Very bad."

.

The End.

.

Go To Afterthoughts

Return To CT Fanfic