The Return Chapter 28

The Calm Before the Storm

By Firstborn Dragon

Boomerang, Zed and Rudy looked around. They were standing just outside of the Elw’s temple. Zed was looking at it in surprised. "For such small people, they sure do build large, don’t they?"

Boomerang laughed at that.

Rudy, however, had other concerns on his mind. "They’re coming."

Zed looked at him. "You sure?"

Rudy nodded, even as he drew his ARM. "I can feel them. They’ll be here soon. Very soon."

Boomerang drew Slayer. "Then we end this now."

Zed was the last one to act. But he drew Striker as well. "Indeed we do." He glanced over at Rudy’s AMR. "Did someone get that reloaded?"

Rudy looked at it. "I know I never did, but I think the Guardians did. But the holder’s full. So I’m not going to ask questions. Are you?"

Zed shook his head. "As long as you have ammo, who cares where it came from."

Suddenly, a dark shape could be faintly made out on the horizon. Boomerang was the first to notice it. "Looks like they’re coming. Are you two ready."

Zed nodded. "I am."

Rudy looked at the two. The same two who’d tried to kill him and his friends a year ago. Now, the last hope of his world. Their world. "So am I. Then we fight…"

Boomerang nodded. "We fight. For Lucid!"

Zed spoke next. "For Laura!"

Rudy looked at them once again. "For friends, and foes. For our world!"

"Our world!" The other two agreed.

* * * * *

Lucid shook her head. "Now I remember why I hate travailing between this world, and the world of the Guardians." She looked around. The Portal had taken her into the courtyard of the castle. "Now, all I’ve got to do, is find Cecilia, and give her the message. Then, I can head back to Boomerang. I may not be able to aid him, but if he’s going to die, I’m going to be there with him for the end."

Lucid ran into the castle. Everything was in an uproar. Guards were running all over, Jack was yelling, the chancellor was trying to speak with Cecilia, Emilia was trying to figure out what was going on, and every one else was confused. "I have to get to Cecilia, somehow…"

Fortunately, Cecilia noticed Lucid first. Cecilia came over to her. "I’m glad to see you. It means Boomerang isn’t doing something stupid on his own."

Lucid paused. "She’s worried about Boomerang? Strange. Well, it’s now or never. I only hope Zephyr is right…" "Boomerang, Rudy and Zed are fighting the Forsaken. They’re on their way here now."

Cecilia was shocked. "You…you just spoke?"

Lucid nodded. "I don’t have time to explain. You should get everyone out. Of course, if those three fail, it’s probably not going to matter, but still…"

Cecilia shook her head. "You’re going to have to explain this to me latter. But for now, I think you’re right."

Cecilia ran over to the chancellor, and yelled to Jack. Soon the three were deep in discussion. Every once in a while, one of them would look up at Lucid. She just sat there, not sure what to do. She knew Boomerang had wanted her to look after Cecilia. But at the same time, Lucid wanted to go to Boomerang. Then, Lucid shook her head. She knew what she had to do. As Boomerang had said, there was no way to tell whether or not Zeikfried would betray the truce. Besides Jack, Cecilia, and Jane, she was the only one who had lived through a battle with the demons. "Boomerang would expect me to stay. I stay for you my love. But I pray, come back to me alive…"

Soon, the evacuation order had gone out. Everyone headed to the port, in which every available ship was being recruited to sail people to a safer position. Cecilia, Jack, and Jane were being divided among all the ships, and the remaining people, mostly guardsmen. Cecilia, due to her position, had to leave on the first ship. Jack was staying until the very end. Jane decided to wait too. Lucid stayed with them. Like the two of them, she hoped to see Boomerang and the others return alive. An event that was highly unlikely.

Soon, most of the citizens had been evacuated. All that remained was to wait for the ships to return, so that the final few could be removed as well. Hopefully, before disaster struck…

.

Go To Chapter 29

Return To Wild ARMs Fanfic