The Return Chapter 32

Rejection

By Firstborn Dragon

Rudy slowly opened his eyes. His first discovery was that he was no longer lying on the ground. His second was being warm. He looked around. Sure enough, he was no longer outside.

"Feeling better?"

Rudy looked over to the source of the voice. "Jane! What am I doing here?"

Jane laughed. "From what I’ve been able to figure out, Lucid, Jack, and Emilia found you by a crater just west of here."

Rudy smiled. "That’s good to know… What about the others?"

Jane nodded. They’re fine too. It’s good to see you awake at last."

"How long have I been asleep?"

"About a week. Everything’s slowly getting back together. But I don’t know if anything will ever be the same. There have been soldiers outside of Zed, Boomerang, and your doors. After the last attempt Cecilia thought it better to be safe than sorry."

Rudy was puzzled. "What do you mean?"

Jane looked out the window for a moment. "Someone tried to kill you the other day. It seems the story of you being a cross breed has gotten out. Cecilia doesn’t want anything to happen to you, or the other two. She’s trying to show everyone that you saved us. But I fear few believe her."

Rudy nodded. "I was afraid of what could happen if the story of my heritage ever got out. I guess it did. Where’s Jack?"

Jane paused for a moment. "You’re not gonna believe this, but he’s talking to the other two. They woke up the other day. They seem to recover really fast."

Rudy laughed. "The only good thing I’ve found about being a cross is the decrease in healing time. It doesn’t take me long to heal. At least compared to full humans."

Jane nodded. Just then, Cecilia walked in. "Rudy, I’m sorry…"

Rudy was puzzled. "Sorry for what?"

Cecilia began to cry. "I agreed to the only thing I could think of to save your life. You, Zed, Lucid, and Boomerang are never to return here again. I didn’t want to do this, but…"

Rudy nodded. "I understand. And it’s okay."

Cecilia was very upset however. "Maybe, in time, they can come to accept. But not for a while. The memories of the war are still to fresh."

Rudy nodded again. "Where are Boomerang and Zed?"

Cecilia looked up. "They’re getting some stuff together. Laura, Jack, and a few others are going to follow you latter. They don’t want people to turn on them too."

Rudy nodded. "I don’t want anyone else hurt because of me. I’ll wait for them here then."

Cecilia nodded, and left. Jane looked up at Rudy. "It bothers you, doesn’t it?"

Rudy nodded. "Very much. But, I can’t say I blame them. I wish I could get my ARMs, but…"

Jane laughed. "I’ll bring them to you. Cecilia forgot to add that I was joining those who would follow."

"Thanks Jane. I’ll miss Cecilia, but it’s best for all…" Rudy couldn’t finish.

Jane nodded. "I’ll go find the other two. I think you two will want to be off as soon as possible."

Rudy nodded, and Jane left.

* * * * *

Boomerang stood in the room he was using. He was looking at Slayer. The blade had become normal, just as it was before the Guardians infused their power into it. "I hope Jack comes…"

The door opened, and Jack walked in. "I heard you wanted to speak to me…"

Boomerang turned around. "I wanted to return your sword. You won it in battle…"

Jack shook his head. "It was yours first. Keep it. Besides, I think you’ll need it more than I. Maybe I should think about what you said."

"What I said…?"

Jack looked at Boomerang. "About you not knowing. If that’s true, perhaps I should consider other things as well. I mean, you did help to save the world, and the castle, and Rudy, and…"

Boomerang shook his head. "Thank you. I know how hard that must have been. And I say this. If you ever need my help, I will do what ever I can. You are a great warrior in your own right. Never doubt yourself. That’s the worst thing any warrior can do…"

The room was quiet as each conceded what they’d been told. Then Jack looked up at Boomerang. Rudy’s waiting for you in his room. He thinks it’s best if you leave now."

Boomerang nodded. "Ok. And see you around."

Jack turned and left. Boomerang gathered the few things he owned, and sheathed Slayer, and walked to Rudy’s room.

* * * * *

Zed and Lucid had already arrived by the time Boomerang did. He looked at the other three, who like him, were exiled because of their birth. "Shall we go then?"

Zed looked up. "I guess. Where should we head?"

Rudy thought for a moment. "Why not Saint Centour. No one lives there. At least, we can stay there until we find somewhere else to got."

The others agreed, and the four set off. Few people noted their passing, but of those who did, there were mixed feelings. Joy, sorrow, hope, and fear. And on the roof of the castle, four watched their departure, with deep feelings of loss. Yet, even as the figures vanished in the trees, their was hope that one day, humans, Guardians, and Elw could all live together.

.

Go To Epilogue

Return To Wild ARMs Fanfic