Destiny Awaits- Leene's Story Chapter 2

By Jupiterstar

Leene stood on the edge of the gangplank to the steamboat. All her family's belongings were tucked away inside the ship and that included the butterfly habitat. Ginny had complained profusely that it could get broken, but Leene's mother had stated it was impractical to carry a glass cage around with you.

Leene stepped hesitantly onto the boat. Her new boots clicked as she walked. They were sort of a consolation prize, she didn't get to keep the house, but her parents bought these so she could look good when they moved.

"Leene, hurry up!" Cyrus called from the deck. Leene made a mean face at him and ran up the deck to the side of the ship next to her brother. Cyrus was 11 and to Leene he was the best big brother in the world. But sometimes she thought he was a royal pain.

"You're slow too," Leene shot back. Cyrus laughed and grabbed her around the waist. Leene shrieked and laughed as her tickled her furiously.

"I take it back! I take it back!" Leene yelled between giggles. Cyrus lowered her down to the ground.

Leene spent most of the boat ride watching the waves splash against the side of the boat. She had a handful of rocks from her old house that she threw in to watch the ripples, but there was one rock she didn't throw.

Before the trip, Cyrus had given her a shiny black stone and said it had special powers. No matter how much she begged, he wouldn't tell her what the powers were. Leene kept the rock safely in her back pocket.

When Leene wasn't on deck she was running through the cabin driving her parents crazy, which usually resulted in her being sent out to the deck anyway. She asked several times to go down and make sure the butterfly cage was all right, but the answer was always no.

Leene stood out looking for even the slightest glimpse of her new home. When she finally saw land she jumped up and down.

"Mommy! Daddy! Cyrus! Ginny! There it is!" she shouted. Cyrus and Ginny ran up immediately to see what all the yelling was about. Leene's parents took their time.

"She's right!" Cyrus said excitedly. Ginny clapped her hands with glee and hugged her little sister. Leene allowed Ginny to squeeze her a moment, then slid out of her grasp to continue bouncing and take a closer look at the shore.

It really was a beautiful town no matter how much Leene loved her old village. The quaint houses were sitting nearby busy markets and a bustling café. Leene could hardly wait to see which house was hers.

Leene was off the ship as soon as it landed, her siblings and parents racing to keep up with her. She skipped and hopped because she was so happy she could hardly contain it.

"That's the one," Leene's father pointed out. All three children looked up at the house, a pretty white one with blue shutters. Leene smiled brightly. She was home.

.

Go To Chapter 3

Return To CT Fanfic