Holy War Chapter 1

The One-Armed Man

By Master Odin

Bryant sat in his home in Melmond. Life had been uneventful since he and the other Light Warriors parted ways a few weeks ago. He had received word a few days ago that he was invited to the wedding of Donovan and Ayanna in Crescent Lake three days from then. Although he had hoped for the best for her, he was sorry to admit that he knew her father would still force her into the arranged marriage. He was going to leave for there on the ship tomorrow.

He had also heard that Teshi was in prison. He decided to lose his temper in with the guards. Although he pitied the youth for the unfortunate turn of events, he could not help but grin a little when he had heard the news. He will be released the next day.

Before the Light Warriors parted company, Nestor said he was going to take the airship and go to the Land of Dragons. He had said that with all he had learned in life, the most important lesson was that you should never assume you know everything, thus he was going to gain more wisdom from Bahamut, the Dragon King.

A knock at the door pulled Bryant from his thoughts. "I wondereth whom it couldst be," he said to himself as he got up and headed for the door. "I doth not recall any appointment for to-day."

The Xcalibur was hanging in its scabbard on the wall next to the door. Bryant decided to clip it to his belt before he answered the door. When he opened the door, he saw a dark skinned man with a similar build to that of the Knight, with one exception: He had only one arm, his left one. Bryant also noticed that the man's head was shaved and that he was unarmed.

"Greetings noble Knight," the man said with a bow. "My name is Hyroniemus. I need your help. May I come in?"

Bryant rested his left hand on the hilt of his sword as he nodded. Hyroniemus came in and stood in the center of the room. Bryant sat down in his chair. "Have thyself a seat."

The one armed man sat down in the nearest chair. "Thank you."

"Now, what is it that hast brought thee to mine doorstep?"

"I fear that we once again are in grave danger."

"What dost thou mean 'once again'?"

Hyroniemus thought for a moment, then realized what Bryant was talking about. "Oh. Unlike some of the others of the world, I do recall the adventures that you and the other Light Warriors took part in to save us from Garland and his Four Fiends."

"I see."

"As I was saying, we are in grave danger. There is an unholy presence arising in the Castle of Trials."

"So there 'tis another evil in this world?"

The man shook his head. "People use the term 'evil' too often. Good and evil, much like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder. It is best to describe him as one who opposes what the rest of this world holds dear. Maybe it would be best if we were to gather your other friends. Greater wisdom often comes from when many minds are gathered."

Bryant thought about this for a moment. "Very well, though I am not certain that we shalt be able to get Ayanna. She is to be wed in three days."

"I have heard of this. We must hurry, for she is in harm's way as well. First we shall go to the Land of Dragons and get your friend Nestor. After that we shall go to Coneria and get Teshi. We may need their assistance in freeing Ayanna from this matter."

Bryant agreed and started for the door, then thought of something. "Things may become troublesome as thou hast said. Dost thou have a weapon?"

Hyroniemus reached into his tunic and pulled out a book bound in black leather. A Cross was carved on the cover of it, as were words that Bryant could not understand. "This is all the weapon I need."

His words confused the Knight, but he shrugged and led the way out of his home.

.

Go To Chapter 2

Return To FF1 Fanfic