The Silence Broken Chapter 5

"Did You Hear That?"

By Master Odin

Crono and Marle sat on their thrones while Lucca, Frog, Magus, Ayla, Robo, Taban, and Melchior stood or sat before them. Crono, feeling that he was no better than his friends, insisted that they did not need to be formal before him. Magus leaned against one if the pillars while Frog, Ayla, and Robo sat on the floor. A chubby old man with a thick white mustache stood near them. Lucca stood by Crono's side while Taban stood by Marle's. They had been conferring as to what to do.

"I believe that Lucca is right," Robo said. "We should retrieve Belthasar, and take him and Master Melchior here to see Gaspar at the end of time," he said, motioning to the old man.

"I don't think Belthasar will come," Marle said. "Remember when we tried to talk to him during our battle against Lavos. He wouldn't even stop to acknowledge our presence."

"Belthasar always was too wrapped up in his work," Melchior said with a chuckle.

"What of the Nu?" Frog said. "Did not Belthasar put his memories into that Nu?"

"We shut the Nu off," Magus said. "Not even Lucca could find a way to turn him back on."

Marle watched as Lucca blushed as Magus mentioned her attempts to revive the Nu. The queen had noticed her scientific friend glancing over at the lost prince of Zeal quite often during the deliberation.

"Get Belthasar before go to future," Ayla said.

Crono shook his head.

"He's right. It could practically destroy the present timeline," Lucca said.

"Maybe my presence will snap him out of it in the future," Melchior said. "If that doesn't work, then we'll have to find a way to revive the Nu that you speak of."

Crono nodded. He looked at Lucca, Magus, and Frog, choosing those who would accompany him and Melchior. That done, he then looked at Marle.

"No, I'm coming with you!" Marle demanded.

Crono shook his head. Marle angrily agreed.

"I'm going," Taban said.

Again Crono shook his head.

"But."

"Dad, Crono wants you to stay, that way if anything happens to him, you can care for Marle and his mother."

"It would be an honor," Taban said.

"Alright, we've got our plan," Marle said. "It's late, though. Everyone get some rest. Tomorrow's gonna be a long day."

With that, everyone retired to his or her quarters, with the exception of Marle and Lucca, in which the former had grabbed the latter by the arm.

"What's with you and Magus?" Marle asked.

"What are you talking about?"

"I lost count of the times I saw you look over at him, and then you blushed when he spoke of you."

"Uh nothing's goin' on." With that, the young genius ran up the stairs.

Marle had noticed the look in her friend's eyes before she ran off. "Nothing indeed."

* * * * *

Lucca knocked on Frog's door. "Enter," came the frog's reply.

Lucca opened the door and entered, closing it behind her. "Thank you," she said softly.

Frog noticed a concerned look on her face. He motioned her to a chair next to the bed. "Come. Sit." Lucca sat in the chair and Frog took a seat on the bed. "Something is bothering thee. What is it, child?"

Lucca hesitated. "Sir Frog, what do you think of me?"

Frog was shocked. He thought deeply on the subject for a moment, then answered, "Thou art a lovely young woman, keen in both mind and spirit. I hath seen that nothing stops thee from obtaining what thou hast set thy heart upon. Thy one true downfall is thy silence of thy feelings. They burn bright within thee, I can tell, but ye do not let thy friends enjoy the pleasure of feeling them with thee. But still, one day thou shalt make happy of whatever unworthy man thou hast deemed worthy of being by thy side."

Lucca smiled. "Thank you," she said as she stood up. "Good night."

Frog cleared his throat. "Might I ask thee a question before ye go?"

Lucca sat down again. "Shoot."

"Why wouldst thou come to me?"

"I came to you because I knew I could get an honest answer. Your chivalric ways don't allow you to lie, and I thank the gods for that. Just do me a favor, please don't tell any I asked you this."

A confused Frog agreed. "I shalt not tell a soul until ye deem it necessary."

"Thank you." She stood up and kissed the frog knight on the top of his head. She stood back and looked at him. "I must not be a princess."

"That may not be true. Remember, I be a knight, not a prince. Besides, I rather enjoy this form."

Lucca smiled. "Thank you, Sir Frog. Good night."

"The pleasure is all mine. Sleep well, fair princess."

* * * * *

Magus was having trouble sleeping that night, thus he was wandering the corridors of the castle. His mind was filled with confusing thoughts. Earlier that night, during the discussion, he heard something he hadn't heard since he last saw Schala. He turned the corner and bumped into Lucca. She screamed.

"Stop it!" Magus snapped.

"I-I'm sorry. You just startled me."

"Just startled, eh? I've stricken absolute terror into the hearts of greater creatures than you."

"But we know you better than that."

Magus grunted. "What are you doing up so late?"

"I could ask you the same question."

"I've become a creature of the night. Vicious and merciless."

"You are not so cold!"

In a flash Magus drew his scythe and brought the point to her throat. She didn't move. "You wanna test that theory, miss brainiac?"

Ayla peeked out of her room when she heard the yelling. "Problem?"

"GO BACK TO BED!!!" they both yelled in unison. Ayla shrugged and went back into her room.

Lucca stretched her neck as far as she could. Blood lust flowed through the dark mage's veins. His muscles rippled as his eyes grew thin. This was a side of Lucca he only recalled seeing a couple of times, most vividly when they were fighting Lavos. He liked it. It gave him a reason to do his work.

Then he heard it.

"I wonder, would your face crack if you ever smiled," she said.

Magus snarled. "You're pressing your luck."

Lucca waited. "If you're so cold hearted, then kill me right here."

Magus heard it again. "You're not worth the trouble," he said as he sheathed his scythe and started to walk away.

"Well, good night to you too, asshole!" Lucca yelled as extended her middle finger for his back to see.

.

Go To Chapter 6

Return To CT Fanfic